Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
subterfuge
KVRist

190 posts since 7 Sep, 2012

Postby subterfuge; Mon May 14, 2018 5:57 am Re: Free plugins with exe installer that can be made portable

Cakewalk Z3ta+/Z3ta2 don't work portable, unless you have installed them into the same host computer where you are using them "portable". If there actually is a trick to this, I surely want to know what it is, those are some of the very few VSTis I miss when on the road.
ENV1
KVRAF

2224 posts since 31 Aug, 2011

Postby ENV1; Mon May 14, 2018 8:08 am Re: Free plugins with exe installer that can be made portable

subterfuge wrote:Cakewalk Z3ta+/Z3ta2 don't work portable, unless you have installed them into the same host computer where you are using them "portable". If there actually is a trick to this, I surely want to know what it is, those are some of the very few VSTis I miss when on the road.

Cant help with z3ta+2, but z3ta+ 1.5.3 and Rapture 1.22 arent a problem since these DLLs no longer check for a serial. (Only the installers ask for a serial but the DLLs themselves had everything that had to do with registration disabled.)

Basically all you need to make z3ta+ 1.5.3 and Rapture 1.22 portable is 2 regfiles. One to add some data to the registry and one for removing the data again when youre leaving the computer. (z3ta+ needs a CLSID and Rapture a string that tells it that the folders and files that are normally in ProgramData are in the DLL dir.)

If thats portable enough for you just holler and i will give you the details.

(Dont send a PM though, i dont always log in when i come here so i may not see it for a while. Just post here.)
subterfuge
KVRist

Postby subterfuge; Mon May 14, 2018 8:40 am Re: Free plugins with exe installer that can be made portable

I'd have to test to see if it works for me..but sure, please do give the details for the z3ta+, I'd love to try it. Thanks ENV1.
ENV1
KVRAF

Postby ENV1; Mon May 14, 2018 9:14 am Re: Free plugins with exe installer that can be made portable

OK, here you go.

Since i had the 'Enable' file already made for myself, heres a copy of that plus the 'Disable' file to accompany it.

(They are the same files, only Disable has a minus in front of the H of HKEY, which causes deletion of the key.)

Usage is simple:

- Doubleclick Enable.reg to add the CLSID to the registry,
- Doubleclick Disable.reg to remove it again if you dont want it to be left on the host machine after youve left.

Thats it, since z3ta+ has all files and folders in the DLL dir anyway thats all you need to do.

z3ta+ 1.5.3 - Portable RegFiles.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phreaque
KVRian

640 posts since 16 Jul, 2007, from Baghdad-Iq

Postby phreaque; Tue May 15, 2018 8:03 am Re: Free plugins with exe installer that can be made portable

Wondering what tool - method do you guys use to make portable apps, for me I'm using Evalaze inside Virtual Box
Phreaque Modi
subterfuge
KVRist

Postby subterfuge; Tue May 15, 2018 7:07 pm Re: Free plugins with exe installer that can be made portable

Thanks for your reg files ENV1. Unfortunately won't work on my most used guest host, I have not enough rights for it. Might still be workable on another host which I may or may not use on holidays. Two more months and I can test that...
Nielzie
KVRAF

8744 posts since 28 May, 2005, from Netherlands

Postby Nielzie; Tue May 15, 2018 9:30 pm Re: Free plugins with exe installer that can be made portable

Boone777 wrote:
baaz wrote:I always try to install VSTs "portable", i have around 300(mostly free) vsts in my vsts folder. Whenever i have to upgrade to a new windows build like latest Redstone 4, after clean install all i have to do is backup and drop the vsts folder and stuff from documents and program data folder and that's it. No need to use 300 installers on a clean windows machine which means less start menu entries and uninstaller entries and more stable system.

Here are some from top of my head that use installers but work just fine if you copy vsts along with stuff in program data/documents folder...
Audiothing
Boz Digital
CableGuys
DDMF
DMGaudio (have to backup some registry entries)
OverToneDSP
Voxengo
Valhalla

i'll update the list as soon as i access my vsts folder :D

What is your experience with Valahalla on portable install ?

For me it works but I have to manually put the presets in my documents on a portable Reaper Install.

But that's not (my definition of) portable. In my book "portable" means "should work right of a usb pendrive", without adding stuff manually to harddrive or registry of the system.
None are so hopeless enslaved as KVRians with GAS.
ENV1
KVRAF

Postby ENV1; Wed May 16, 2018 3:30 am Re: Free plugins with exe installer that can be made portable

subterfuge wrote:Thanks for your reg files ENV1. Unfortunately won't work on my most used guest host, I have not enough rights for it. Might still be workable on another host which I may or may not use on holidays. Two more months and I can test that...

Sorry to hear it.

But youre right, to be able to use regedit the login youre using has to have elevated privileges.

(Typically this would mean administrator, or a special user account with the necessary permissions.)

Theres no other way.
chk071
KVRAF

15489 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Wed May 16, 2018 3:39 am Re: Free plugins with exe installer that can be made portable

ENV1 wrote:OK, here you go.

Since i had the 'Enable' file already made for myself, heres a copy of that plus the 'Disable' file to accompany it.

(They are the same files, only Disable has a minus in front of the H of HKEY, which causes deletion of the key.)

Usage is simple:

- Doubleclick Enable.reg to add the CLSID to the registry,
- Doubleclick Disable.reg to remove it again if you dont want it to be left on the host machine after youve left.

Thats it, since z3ta+ has all files and folders in the DLL dir anyway thats all you need to do.

z3ta+ 1.5.3 - Portable RegFiles.zip

That kind of totally defeats the purpose of portable software.
ENV1
KVRAF

Postby ENV1; Wed May 16, 2018 3:59 am Re: Free plugins with exe installer that can be made portable

Nielzie wrote:But that's not (my definition of) portable. In my book "portable" means "should work right of a usb pendrive", without adding stuff manually to harddrive or registry of the system.

Yeah, same here.

Personally i wouldnt count apps that need anything outside their own parent dir as truly portable either, (quasi-portable perhaps if its only a regfile), my reason for keeping such regfiles around is because it makes reinstallations after a fresh OS install so much simpler while keeping the system significantly cleaner at the same time. (Have no use for like 99% of the uninstallers that would otherwise bloat up the system.)
subterfuge
KVRist

Postby subterfuge; Wed May 16, 2018 12:29 pm Re: Free plugins with exe installer that can be made portable

ENV1 wrote:But youre right, to be able to use regedit the login youre using has to have elevated privileges.

Well, I used to be able to add some things manually to the registry of this laptop I tried (under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\), even while not being able to install anything on it (restricted company computer). That worked at least for the DMG plugins, but now I see I couldn't launch them either and saw nothing related to them under the software folder either. Maybe system admins cleared away some stuff at last maintenance, I don't know.

I do agree that if you have to add or install anything to the host, software is not truly portable. Even less so if you have to have specific rights. Funny enough, there are, or at least were also some "portable" license systems which require the license manager to be installed to the host, killing the whole idea for me before even starting.

But in my current situation I am fine with dropping some files under my own user folders if needed, doesn't have to be that pure and clean, as long as they work. Luckily I don't see myself on the road more than maybe 5-6 weeks this year and most of the time have access to more open systems.
phreaque
KVRian

Postby phreaque; Wed May 16, 2018 10:29 pm Re: Free plugins with exe installer that can be made portable

Guys anybody succeeded portabilizing Ableton Live 9.7?
I'm getting errors when trying to make some modifications and when closing the app, seems the "preference" file is either missed, or dislocated or just can't be accessed.
Phreaque Modi
Nielzie
KVRAF

Postby Nielzie; Thu May 17, 2018 10:22 am Re: Free plugins with exe installer that can be made portable

phreaque wrote:Guys anybody succeeded portabilizing Ableton Live 9.7?
I'm getting errors when trying to make some modifications and when closing the app, seems the "preference" file is either missed, or dislocated or just can't be accessed.

I don't think that would be possible. Even the licence protection system is not portable-friendly I think.

For truly portable you'll need a DAW with a simple license file in the same directory as the program itself. For semi-portable you'll need a DAW that would write a license file somewhere in a user appdata or the programdata directory, or write that data into the registry.

Challenge/Response license checking systems are not portable at all.

The only DAW that I know of thet is truly portable is EnergyXT. MuLab should be at least semi-portable and I think Reaper is too.
Last edited by Nielzie on Thu May 17, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
phreaque
KVRian

Postby phreaque; Thu May 17, 2018 10:29 am Re: Free plugins with exe installer that can be made portable

Nielzie wrote:
phreaque wrote:Guys anybody succeeded portabilizing Ableton Live 9.7?

I don't think that would be possible. Even the licence protection system is not portable-friendly I think.

For the authorization, I installed the instanced without authorization, so when I launch the app, it will ask for the license and I simply drop it on.
But as I told you, some preferences issues I have.. Now I'm doing a rebuild to see if I missed to include some of the folders, and I will do things as administrator.
Phreaque Modi
Nielzie
KVRAF

Postby Nielzie; Thu May 17, 2018 10:40 am Re: Free plugins with exe installer that can be made portable

Shouldn't the Preferences folder be somewhere in the username %appdata% location?
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects