Bye bye VST2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JUCE VST 3 Plug-in Development Host VST Audio Plug-ins SDK (C++)

It will be YEARS before this sorts itself out.

Half of my synths don't support VST3 but I'm still using Cubase 9 which supports VST2. Anyway, there are still hosts don't support VST3, so what the plugins developer should do?!

EnGee wrote:so what the plugins developer should do?!
Work on a standard where they're not held hostage by a single vendor. It's not a realistic option but it's the only one that will sort out this mess.

EnGee wrote:Half of my synths don't support VST3 but I'm still using Cubase 9 which supports VST2. Anyway, there are still hosts don't support VST3, so what the plugins developer should do?!
People will either use the old release or backport VST3 changes, if possible, for some time yet.

Yet i have to see what advantages VST3 offer over VST2 in real-world because so far those vst3 versions of synths i have do not do anything better :)

Bye bye Steinberg.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

We appreciate that developers and users alike gravitate strongly toward the VST 3 interface that comes with many technological advancements.
bollocks.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

"Since 2008, the SDK for the third iteration of VST, VST 3, has been available and since then efforts are focused entirely on the further development of VST 3." - Weird, as the SDK has been out for a decade how come DAW developers (well, Ableton anyway) have dragged their heels so much in supporting it. Do you have to pay Steinberg to use the libraries ?

mcbpete wrote:Weird, as the SDK has been out for a decade how come DAW developers (well, Ableton anyway) have dragged their heels so much in supporting it. Do you have to pay Steinberg to use the libraries ?
no but afaik the sdk is bloated and it is a pita to implement things like MIDI.

#mevst2

I stopped installing vst3 versions of my software over a year ago as they were incredibly unstable for me with no clear advantages. This should be fun to watch.
Even I was offended by what I was going to put here.
Newest Release, retro EBM, Brute Opposition - Unity of Command, released Sept '22 bandcamp link

10 years and VST3 is still not as widely acclaimed as Steiny had hoped (because they over-engineered the interface and made some really bad calls like not supporting MIDI learn etc.). Getting desperate there, obviously.

The post is missing an ever so small detail..
Steinberg wrote:VST 2 compatibility with Steinberg VST hosts will remain
So this is really about devs - at least for now. If they removed host VST2 support it'd be a dumb move on their part. Though, in reality, even if they went that far, all that would happen is you'd get more VST3's which could host VST2's in response.

In short.. VST2 will be around, even in Steinberg hosts, for a long time to come.. whether Steinberg themselves want that or not. The real on-coming train for backwards compatibility will be any moves to ARM processors, and dumb desperation response moves from Microsoft 365, which most people still know as "Windows", unaware of all the clown moves (people frequently mistake cloud and clown) Microsoft have been performing.

As for Steinberg themselves, they seem perfectly happy to have a dwindling base of ageing users whom they charge increasingly expensive yearly upgrades to.

The problem with VST2, just like MIDI, is it's "good enough" for most uses, and VST3 didn't offer enough differences for it to be demanded by users. Any new standard needs significant major advantages to displace a dominant existing standard, like providing an easier way to tap into the compute power of graphics cards or whatever..
Last edited by PAK on Fri May 18, 2018 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

I know U-he has refused to implement it because it renders thier plugs unstable.

Return to “Instruments”