Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
ghettosynth
KVRAF
 
11025 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Thu May 17, 2018 6:45 am Re: Bye bye VST2

farlukar wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:Who ever makes a new open code industry standard for virtual instrumrnt design will have a stature built for them and be immortalized.

*ahem*


LOL! Twice and you're still not waking the kids.
User avatar
Klinke1
KVRian
 
592 posts since 18 Feb, 2011

Postby Klinke1; Thu May 17, 2018 7:05 am Re: Bye bye VST2

Time for VST4
- WonderEcho -
User avatar
Touch The Universe
KVRAF
 
3265 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Postby Touch The Universe; Thu May 17, 2018 7:14 am Re: Bye bye VST2

Interesting move I don't understand by steinberg, hinting devs to get with the program, but are they oblivious to their general consensus on it? This is important information regarding company foresight/mindset if they are still pushing it without addressing its shortcomings, or whatever reason why it has not take off since 10 years! Who's calling the shots? Is it steinberg and the devs must adapt or steinberg can improve vst from developers input?

How many developers are there, a few hundred? Why not send out a questionairre, gather some input.
High Quality Soundsets with a generous amount of presets for Lush-101, Hive, Electra 2, Diversion, Halion, Largo, Rapid, Dune II, and Spire.
http://www.touch-the-universe.com/
AnX
KVRAF
 
2804 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Postby AnX; Thu May 17, 2018 7:32 am Re: Bye bye VST2

VST3 is a step backwards, but what do you expect from stainberg.
rollasoc
KVRist
 
416 posts since 13 Jun, 2003, from Shrewsbury, UK

Postby rollasoc; Thu May 17, 2018 7:52 am Re: Bye bye VST2

Klinke1 wrote:Time for VST4


My first thought, when I saw the news on Facebook, was, "given it is 10 years since VST3 was announced, I would imagine VST 4 will be released with Cubase 10 in December".

So it makes sense to not ship the VST 2 SDK, when 4 will ship with 3.
Hopefully, 4 will sort out the issues with 3 and make porting from 2 easier for developers.
Band: http://www.hairthieves.com
Solo Instrumentals : https://sineglidermusic.bandcamp.com/
New Hairthieves EP - EP 9, out November 3rd
User avatar
EvilDragon
KVRAF
 
16591 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Thu May 17, 2018 8:08 am Re: Bye bye VST2

VST4 would just complicate things much more than they already are...
Dasheesh
KVRAF
 
2614 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Thu May 17, 2018 8:10 am Re: Bye bye VST2

rollasoc wrote:
Klinke1 wrote:Time for VST4


My first thought, when I saw the news on Facebook, was, "given it is 10 years since VST3 was announced, I would imagine VST 4 will be released with Cubase 10 in December".

So it makes sense to not ship the VST 2 SDK, when 4 will ship with 3.
Hopefully, 4 will sort out the issues with 3 and make porting from 2 easier for developers.


This makes total sense actually. Hopefully they learned alot from 3 and it was an exception, not a rule... and hopefully devs have been given the heads up and already planning ahead.
Asuyuka
KVRist
 
412 posts since 26 Apr, 2006

Postby Asuyuka; Thu May 17, 2018 10:31 am Re: Bye bye VST2

ghettosynth wrote:
farlukar wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:Who ever makes a new open code industry standard for virtual instrumrnt design will have a stature built for them and be immortalized.

*ahem*


LOL! Twice and you're still not waking the kids.


Huh? What's LADSPA and DSSI? I don't understand what you're saying! :D
Dasheesh
KVRAF
 
2614 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Thu May 17, 2018 11:10 am Re: Bye bye VST2

Ok, I’m familiar with the LADSPA through audacity. Thought that was an mp3 standard. This is where it gets beyond my knowledge base. I was trying to figure out what you were associating yourself with though.
ghettosynth
KVRAF
 
11025 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Thu May 17, 2018 11:13 am Re: Bye bye VST2

Asuyuka wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
farlukar wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:Who ever makes a new open code industry standard for virtual instrumrnt design will have a stature built for them and be immortalized.

*ahem*


LOL! Twice and you're still not waking the kids.


Huh? What's LADSPA and DSSI? I don't understand what you're saying! :D


It's an open code standard for virtual instrument. The license for the standard is permissive. I would like to see migration to an open standard, Steinberg is not a good steward of standards.
Dasheesh
KVRAF
 
2614 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Thu May 17, 2018 11:16 am Re: Bye bye VST2

ghettosynth wrote:
Asuyuka wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
farlukar wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:Who ever makes a new open code industry standard for virtual instrumrnt design will have a stature built for them and be immortalized.

*ahem*


LOL! Twice and you're still not waking the kids.


Huh? What's LADSPA and DSSI? I don't understand what you're saying! :D


It's an open code standard for virtual instrument. The license for the standard is permissive. I would like to see migration to an open standard, Steinberg is not a good steward of standards.


Lets go then... what’s holding everyone back?
pottering
KVRian
 
604 posts since 14 Dec, 2014

Postby pottering; Thu May 17, 2018 11:20 am Re: Bye bye VST2

Steinberg pretty insistent on killing their greatest success ever.
User avatar
Klinke1
KVRian
 
592 posts since 18 Feb, 2011

Postby Klinke1; Thu May 17, 2018 11:28 am Re: Bye bye VST2

ok
VST2 1999
VST3 2008

VST4..? 2038?
- WonderEcho -
User avatar
BlitBit
KVRist
 
175 posts since 28 Nov, 2013, from Germany

Postby BlitBit; Thu May 17, 2018 11:38 am Re: Bye bye VST2

Dasheesh wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Asuyuka wrote:[...]

Huh? What's LADSPA and DSSI? I don't understand what you're saying! :D


It's an open code standard for virtual instrument. The license for the standard is permissive. I would like to see migration to an open standard, Steinberg is not a good steward of standards.


Lets go then... what’s holding everyone back?

I think it's rather simple to create a new plugin standard. It's much harder to get most of the existing hosts to support it. Especially if there already is a successful existing one like VST2.

Is there any plugin standard that supports the developers with the hard technical stuff that's not related to audio by the way? I mean for example the communication between the plugin GUI and the audio thread, etc. Something like that would be really helpful. Of course that's something that might also be provided by frameworks like JUCE and IPlug. But as far as I know even the latter uses mutexes in some strategic places. But that's not really the recommended way. I guess it does so because implementing all that stuff safely and correctly is just hard.
chk071
KVRAF
 
16386 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Thu May 17, 2018 11:44 am Re: Bye bye VST2

ENV1 wrote:http://www.kvraudio.com/news/steinberg-announces-vst-2-coming-to-an-end-41324

Let the drama begin. ;)

"Bye bye VST2" is exactly what they don't say. Nice clickbait though.

Steinberg wrote:VST 2 compatibility with Steinberg VST hosts will remain
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments