VST Window too large

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I did my research beforehand, but the solution for other DAWs did not translate to Mulabs, and I could not find a forum describing the issue in Mulabs.
The title explains it.
My Screen is 1366 by 768 on an HP Compag G1, which is odd I know. Along with a few other VSTs, loading up Cobalt Vst brings up a window that cuts off the bottom. And Cobalt does not offer resizing. And I do not have a second screen, nor want to buy one.
Any idea what I could do to be able to see the entire VST? I could really use that second Envelope option.
Thanks

EDIT: might help if I linked the video (derp)

Depending on the complexity of the VST, you could use the plain/generic view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCKy-0ulno4

Hopefully this works for you, though the generic editor does get confusing at times.

I know you already stated you don't like the idea of a second/external monitor, but the majority of the content creation world has moved on to 1920x1080 as a minimum standard for both output and workspaces. It's hard to find a laptop powerful enough to do proper content creation that has anything lower than a 1920x1080 resolution. Many are coming out with 1440p or even 4k displays now.

Displays with smaller resolutions are falling into the legacy tech area. It's becoming difficult to support small resolution displays when developers have to target mainstream/creative markets with 4k displays.

A good cheap inexpensive external monitor is This HP monitor. I have it as a secondary display in my bedroom studio and it does the job well.

Hope this helps,
Dakkra
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

Quick thing the video is coming up as unavailable. But otherwise thank you and I guess I will look into a new display then. And I will try that generic view thing as well. But if you know where that video cam from, and can link it I would very much appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCKy-0ulno4

Should be working now?

I've tried it on multiple browsers and on different YouTube accounts.

Cheers,
Dakkra
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

I do not understand why there is still no scroll bar in the plugins window (this has already been asked several times): would it be so complicated to add? Like many people, I have a 15-inch screen and it gets frustrating not being able to use some plugins because of that. For me, it's the only flaw of MuLab!
Thomas Jaëck is a French musician inspired by the pioneers of electronic music of the 70's & early 80's. He loves vintage synths & computers, retro sci-fi movies & modern architecture: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZritI ... XXOStTFLMQ

theangelcave wrote: My Screen is 1366 by 768 on an HP Compag G1, which is odd I know.
I don't think it's an odd resolution. Kind of standard for lower spec'd laptops, and even some Macbooks had a similar resolution. Studio One kind of has the same issue. The VST window is simply too large, so, some older VSTi's, which have quite a big GUI, get cut off at the bottom.

I'm quite happy most VST's offer GUI resizing options now. That's the way to do it really.

chk071 wrote:I'm quite happy most VST's offer GUI resizing options now. That's the way to do it really.
+1

theangelcave wrote:I did my research beforehand, but the solution for other DAWs did not translate to Mulabs, and I could not find a forum describing the issue in Mulabs.
The title explains it.
My Screen is 1366 by 768 on an HP Compag G1, which is odd I know. Along with a few other VSTs, loading up Cobalt Vst brings up a window that cuts off the bottom. And Cobalt does not offer resizing. And I do not have a second screen, nor want to buy one.
Any idea what I could do to be able to see the entire VST? I could really use that second Envelope option.
Thanks
Hello, Cobalt has 2 GUIs: the large one by default but a small one is also included with the download. All you have to do is changing "Large" to "Small" in the Cobalt.ini file (everything is explained in the README.txt: it's very easy to do).
Thomas Jaëck is a French musician inspired by the pioneers of electronic music of the 70's & early 80's. He loves vintage synths & computers, retro sci-fi movies & modern architecture: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZritI ... XXOStTFLMQ

I believe it was created specifically for MuLab, a digital audio workstation that is supposed to make life easier for its users... (French irony included) :-P

Please explain your irony.

Hi Jo,

It was just a nasty joke to make you react :wink: I bought my 2 MuLab7 licenses and love your DAW. I converted my 17 year old son and teach his use to my students :hug:

MuLab is "easy", "flexible", "streamlined and versatile", "ultimate flexibility", "freely mix MUX modules and VST plug-ins without limits", "top-quality support for audio & MIDI VST plug-ins", "streamlined user-friendly interface and workflow", "many preferences so to tweak MuLab to your flavor". That's what you write on the product page of MuLab.

I would like you to explain why, apart from a position of principle, you don't want to add a scrollbar in the plugin window, if only as an preference option? Some very cool plugins are truncated or so small that they wear out the sight on a 15-inch screen! Why so much hate?

Come on, make a little effort, and I promise that I will buy MuLab version 8, which many new features won't be useful to me. Remember the good old time, when you wanted MuLab to remain a simple and practical tool for everyone... :pray:

Best regards, Thomas

Even with scrollbars for a plugin editor the user is left in an uncomfortable situation because:

1) The absence of a resizable plugin UI implictly means that the plugin UI is not in harmony with the screen size ie. fonts and other graphics (knobs, displays etc) can be too small/large.
2) The user has to scroll all the time in order to reach the various parts of the plugin UI.

mutools wrote:Please explain your irony.
French irony is different to everyone elses, its not actually irony
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
mutools wrote:Please explain your irony.
French irony is different to everyone elses, its not actually irony
:D

Actually on my 1920*1080 monitor, some plugins are too high (including MuPad, so I have never used it). I believe that many devs create their plugins with a min screen size in mind, but as the top bar of a plugin wrapped in MuLab is rather high, they get cut off as a result.

Some plugins have a drag area in the right-bottom corner for resizing, but as I can't get to them... :roll:

Two plugins that are too high: MSpectralDelay and Jamstixx.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

In fact there is a way in MuLab/MUX to handle plugin windows that are too big: You can alt-click-drag the border of any window to move that window. Well maybe that could be seen as a kind of scrollbar. At least there is a way.

You can also use a shortcut to "Move To Top-Left" this will move the window to the top left of the screen.

Maybe i could also add a "Snap To Top-Right", "Snap To Bottom-Left" and "Snap To Bottom-Right" which will snap that window corner to that screen corner, then that could be very helpful for too big windows that are not bigger than twice the screen height/width. And these funx would also be good to quickly find the resize control of a plugin editor. Just an idea.

Anyway, i think plugins should support a resizable UI.

Return to “MUTOOLS”