UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Great suggestions here, I agree :tu:

Just giving u-he Zebra a demo, anyone using Zebra and Falcon, is there any way to replicate (any of) Zebra's spectral effects (those two SFX in OSC tab) in Falcon?

i use both...
no. Zebra's oscillators are unique.

just in case you didn't know, Zebralette is a free oscillator only version of Zebra:
https://u-he.com/products/zebralette/

OK, got it, thank you very much!

Apologies for the offtopic, let’s get back to Falcon, the saga continues :)

I just wanted to say that I have decided to move in from Falcon. Don’t get me wrong, I really really liked it, but there’s just too much going on in the interface and I end up twiddling knobs instead of getting on with making music.

For instance, say I find a great preset from one of their fantastic expansions and simply want to automate a filter. Every single time, I have to hunt and peck through the patch to find the right knob. I know there was some disscussion about having standardized macro knobs or something, that would surely help a lot.

I still think Falcon is amazing, but the overall sameness of the GUI (a little color would help distinguish modules, etc) and a little more work on making the visual hierarchy a little more self evident would go a long way toward making it a little easier to use.

dangayle wrote:I just wanted to say that I have decided to move in from Falcon. Don’t get me wrong, I really really liked it, but there’s just too much going on in the interface and I end up twiddling knobs instead of getting on with making music.

For instance, say I find a great preset from one of their fantastic expansions and simply want to automate a filter. Every single time, I have to hunt and peck through the patch to find the right knob. I know there was some disscussion about having standardized macro knobs or something, that would surely help a lot.

I still think Falcon is amazing, but the overall sameness of the GUI (a little color would help distinguish modules, etc) and a little more work on making the visual hierarchy a little more self evident would go a long way toward making it a little easier to use.
Do you not just go to the fx tab, right click on filter cutoff and "add to host automation'" ? Agreed it takes a few seconds longer than a ready mapped synth.

:idea: Dirty tip: For anyone that really wants to add the greyed-out FX at the keygroup level, just insert an Effect Rack, navigate to it's chain1 in the tree, right click and add any effect.

If UVI will patch this while failing to fix the trivial things (like numeric input not working in Logic Pro while the virtual keyboard is open :dog:) I will be extremely pissed-off.

Adding reverbs, delays and modulation at keygroup level is kinda ridonkulous, tho.

I won't argue with that. However, if someone wants to do it for the purpose to render the result immediately, it's there.

What's even more disturbing is when this sh!t happens in the middle of a patch and whatever I remove from the patch it will still sound the same (flawed), and the only option is to start everyting again. And hope not to happen again. And hope not to crash in the process. And Dan's problem is he must find the cutoff lol

sircuit wrote:What's even more disturbing is when this sh!t happens in the middle of a patch and whatever I remove from the patch it will still sound the same (flawed), and the only option is to start everyting again. And hope not to happen again. And hope not to crash in the process. And Dan's problem is he must find the cutoff lol
Heh, that’s not the entire picture, just the most common. It’s not that it’s particularly hard, it’s that I have to remember each time how to do something, which is probably my fault. Falcon is the worst “use it or lose it” kind of interface, which just comes with the territory being so full featured and complex.

Well, I still envy you, I wish I only had your issue(s). I don't mind hunting for parameters, for factory and UVI packs I consider that the main panel with designer-picked macro knobs nails very good what can be adjusted to a sound (be it filter, ambiance, eq, add/subtract layers etc.)
Instead, what drives me crazy is this "Jack of all trades, master of none" impression that Falcon exhibits. At this point I start to believe that UVI deliberately sabotage this plugin and fail to implement stuff just to use their libraries - which usually work fine, there's no need to tweak anything outside the main panel. But otherwise I'm very confused with this synth at the moment. Every time I do some crazy (yet very logical) stuff something breaks, modulations do not affect the destination anymore, mappers don't work, envelopes that have no connection with the oscillators trigger sounds, and eventually (especially since the new update) it crashes the DAW. Then after a crash, out of 10-15 instances of Falcon in a project, just 2-3 retain their settings, the rest default to empty sessions, or lose the sample from samplers or default to saw waves. Falcon is good. When it works.

sircuit wrote:Well, I still envy you, I wish I only had your issue(s). I don't mind hunting for parameters, for factory and UVI packs I consider that the main panel with designer-picked macro knobs nails very good what can be adjusted to a sound (be it filter, ambiance, eq, add/subtract layers etc.)
Instead, what drives me crazy is this "Jack of all trades, master of none" impression that Falcon exhibits. At this point I start to believe that UVI deliberately sabotage this plugin and fail to implement stuff just to use their libraries - which usually work fine, there's no need to tweak anything outside the main panel. But otherwise I'm very confused with this synth at the moment. Every time I do some crazy (yet very logical) stuff something breaks, modulations do not affect the destination anymore, mappers don't work, envelopes that have no connection with the oscillators trigger sounds, and eventually (especially since the new update) it crashes the DAW. Then after a crash, out of 10-15 instances of Falcon in a project, just 2-3 retain their settings, the rest default to empty sessions, or lose the sample from samplers or default to saw waves. Falcon is good. When it works.
Ouch!

sircuit wrote:Well, I still envy you, I wish I only had your issue(s). I don't mind hunting for parameters, for factory and UVI packs I consider that the main panel with designer-picked macro knobs nails very good what can be adjusted to a sound (be it filter, ambiance, eq, add/subtract layers etc.)
I think Falcon is a master at a few different things. The granular sampling is fantastic and I find the modulation system well thought out and comprehensive. One little feature which saves me so much time is when you double click a sample in the browser it replaces the selected keygroup which is Brilliant. In other samplers you have to create a new keygroup and map it or in Halion's method you can right click and select replace sample on the keygroup and it opens an external browser? So in Falcon I can audition samples very quickly directly into the program. I also like the filters and effects.
However I don't use the mixer page as I send the samples and layers out into my daw and I find the tree fiddly to work with and would like to see maybe just stacked rectangle buttons instead of the tree architecture with different colors to differentiate the different sections (program, layer, keygroup etc). That would make it easier to just jump to the sections when I need to.

DrFolder wrote: However I don't use the mixer page as I send the
Mixer page it's damn cool thing. I remember M5 days when did make full ambient track in single plugin patch thru mixer page, very conveniently. The only thing, would be good add ability to resize ie pull out by height for mixer's faders. They a much squeezed by height. It's could be standard freely resizable, or some fixed switching between few heights. Would be good.

Return to “Instruments”