Subaqueous (ElectroProg - Seismic Pastels)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

biodiode wrote:Lovely evolving ambient track. Nicely done and congrats on your first release of 2018.
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, biodiode. Glad you liked it :)

I have another track due for release in September. I'm hopeful of completing another 2 or 3 tracks before then, if the demands of the day-job allow it.

markkuja wrote:Pleasant ambient music. The restful and hovering trip at soundscape.
Nice orchestration and synthsounds. Good job.
Thank you very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Markku. Glad you liked it :)

"restful and hovering" is a suitable description, imo.

Frantz wrote:This is what I'll listen to when cruising 20,000 leagues beneath the sea in my silver subaqueous submarine.

All sorts of pleasantly mysterious sounds cascading at different levels of the frequency spectrum. Quite a soothing voyage. Somehow familiar and new at the same time.

Excellent work! :tu:
Many thanks very much for listening and for the great comments, Frantz. Glad you liked it :)

Music of the (bathy)spheres

my word, that was lovely 8)
i almost drifted away, time slip.

I'm seriously 'off' ambient music at the moment as I seem to be finding so much of it deeply unsatisfying - lacking subtlety/ nuance in the application of various musical elements...

This is what it should sound like!

Loved it!

The individual sounds are exquisite at times, but more importantly, you have carefully and seamlessly sewn them all together into something magical.

sbj wrote:Soothing and dreamy...And the theremin like synth is spot on.

Cheers :tu:
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, sbj. Glad it had the desired effect :)

wagtunes wrote:Very well done.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting. Glad you liked it :)

Some nice dreamy pads in there. I love those soft, high frequencies.

I'm not sure if the bass is too resonant but I think it could be a touch louder. Also the lead could be a little further back in the mix in places - I would use compression for this.

Gorgeous track,beautiful pads. Not been around much lately but coming back and hearing this has certainly put me back in the mood.Fantastic work! :tu:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Unaspected wrote:Also the lead could be a little further back in the mix in places - I would use compression for this.
in most scenarios, use of compression will bring a sound further to the front of a mix:

You compress the signal so that the loudest few decibels are 'squashed' dynamically which then has two consequences:

1) Shortens the distance, dynamically, between the quietest and loudest signals.

2) Gives you more headroom for boosting the overall signal of the track. (Often done automatically as a gain control in the compressor).

ChamMusic wrote:
Unaspected wrote:Also the lead could be a little further back in the mix in places - I would use compression for this.
in most scenarios, use of compression will bring a sound further to the front of a mix:

You compress the signal so that the loudest few decibels are 'squashed' dynamically which then has two consequences:

1) Shortens the distance, dynamically, between the quietest and loudest signals.

2) Gives you more headroom for boosting the overall signal of the track. (Often done automatically as a gain control in the compressor).
It raises the noisefloor, yes. But if you have your threshold set correctly then the ratio control should push things back. It should restrict the signal level and also reduce detail which, to me, sounds like pushing the sound back in the mix whilst keeping it dry.

Other suggestions might be some reverb but I would favour a 1 pole LPF.

I see where you're coming from...

Your talking about using compression, primarily, for taming just the transients...yes that could push a sound back in the mix a little bit...apologies, I was just thinking about your basic run of the mill compression routines.

Yes, By using a fast attack / release time, the compressor will respond almost instantaneously when a signal’s amplitude crosses that threshold...If the threshold is set so that only the attack of a signal triggers the compressor, then these settings on a compressor can be used to tame just the transients of a signal...

Lowering the threshold and increasing the ratio will then squash more of the transient, resulting in a higher relative amplitude for the note’s sustain. I've occasionally used extreme settings with this technique in parallel compression.

Yes, this 'transient tamer technique' could be used to perceptually push an instrument back a touch in a mix because the attack in particular does not cut through as much.

ChamMusic wrote:I see where you're coming from...

Your talking about using compression, primarily, for taming just the transients...yes that could push a sound back in the mix a little bit...apologies, I was just thinking about your basic run of the mill compression routines.

Yes, By using a fast attack / release time, the compressor will respond almost instantaneously when a signal’s amplitude crosses that threshold...If the threshold is set so that only the attack of a signal triggers the compressor, then these settings on a compressor can be used to tame just the transients of a signal...

Lowering the threshold and increasing the ratio will then squash more of the transient, resulting in a higher relative amplitude for the note’s sustain. I've occasionally used extreme settings with this technique in parallel compression.

Yes, this 'transient tamer technique' could be used to perceptually push an instrument back a touch in a mix because the attack in particular does not cut through as much.
You've got it. :)

There are so many uses for compressors. I understand purists who like to mix with microphones only - I really respect that too - but I can't imagine mixing without compression.

but I can't imagine mixing without compression...

Never, ever! Along with EQ, It's central to my sound sculpting routine.

That's really good again. I think I said before, what sets stuff I've heard from you apart from a lot of sinthesiser music I hear is that there's obviously a plan and a musical intent behind it, rather than some wacky knob twiddling with no real progression of melody/structure etc. Mix sounds good to me too, nice and full with none of the piercing saw (as I believe such things are known) sounds you sometimes get. Still needs more jangle mind.. :hihi:

Nice one.

Return to “Music Cafe”