Looking for high quality guitar vsts

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you guys for your input. I think i know what i will do.

That Modo Bass looks pretty insane, so will keep that in mind.

And your right. The real thing is still hard to beat, but for now virtual instruments are my thing so will stick to them.

I think a good Les Paul and probably the Modo Bass or one of the Scarbee ones will do just fine.

Feel free to offer more suggestions and advice as i have yet to make any purchases.

brainzistor wrote:...if you want heavy metal elements that sound library needs to be based on guitar that has humbuckers.

If you take sound library with Telecaster or Stratocaster, you won't make it to sound heavy metal, because those guitars don't use humbuckers, they can't produce that heavy chug-chug, needed in metal...

...So, when you go to search for guitar sound library you eliminate all Stratocaster, Telecaster and that sort of sound libraries, they are for rock, blues, country music, you need to look for sound libraries which are based on guitar that has humbuckers...
I dunno man.. I really like Metal stuff with a totally stock, single coil Tele. It has a very cool sound, once you dial in the right distortion and tone.

Example:
https://youtu.be/BFdQsz1p5m0?t=4m27s

No idea what the exact configuration is (pickup -wise) for the Telecaster in Electri6ity.. but I like to use it a LOT for most of the Metal stuff I do. The thick and punchy palm mutes are really great for Extreme/Technical Metal.

I've literally used every single guitar available in Electri6ity for all kinds of Metal. Strat, Tele, P90, Les Paul (of course), Rickenbacker and Danelectro Lipstick. Even the ES335 and the A L4 (with a lot of tweaking).

The thing with sampled guitar libraries.. is that you can generally adjust various aspects of the guitars (under the hood), to focus on those elements you want to emphasize, de-emphasize.. or even eliminate.

Telecaster is great for metal tone and attack wise, largest issue I have is controlling the noise and feedback.

AmpleSound has its own effects, they are usable, but they aren't great imo, but ofc your mileage may vary. However, with the exception of the amazing effects included with Heavier7Strings, you generally will be better off with a dedicated guitar effects vst.

In terms of getting the tracks to sound as good as the demos, if you're just composing using a DAW, it's quite possible, but as for playing live, I can see it being much harder if not impossible. It also takes a lot of time to learn the ins and outs of how to program tracks, as effects act differently based on settings, velocity, keyswitches, notes overlapping, and many other subtle tricks that can only really be edited into midi tracks rather than performed live.

SpiritHanyou wrote:Thank you guys for your input. I think i know what i will do.

That Modo Bass looks pretty insane, so will keep that in mind.

And your right. The real thing is still hard to beat, but for now virtual instruments are my thing so will stick to them.

I think a good Les Paul and probably the Modo Bass or one of the Scarbee ones will do just fine.

Feel free to offer more suggestions and advice as i have yet to make any purchases.

And yes, MODO Bass is far and away the best purchase I have ever made, and it has become absolutely irreplaceable in any track that requires an electric bass. You will never need another bass vst ever again. Highly recommended. (And once MODO Guitar comes out, we won't even need to be having these topics anymore!)

Thanks guys!

A lot of people use The telecaster in electri6ity for metal

So i have decided that i will stick to the Scarbee Bass guitars i have which came with Komplete. For Electric i will go with the Evolution Rock Standard, and for Acoustic i will get the Evolution Songwriter. I don't really need a Metal guitar right now but if i do get one then i'll consider the Heavier7Strings.

I just want to thank everyone that chimed in. And just for fun here's why this guy is so awesome. For Christmas he did this.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6c2nrl

Thanks again!

SpiritHanyou wrote:Alright good to know.
= But takes months to learn!? Ouch! Yea i don't know man. I am still a bit of a rookie with making music and haven't yet put anything out but for these past couple years what i have learned about myself is that while in the beginning i wanted to do things the hard way and do sound design and all that, nowadays i prefer ease of use
Well, if you want realism out of a guitar library you'll need the skill set and if you expect that's available to you, generally, at the touch of a button you're liable to :bang:

OTS, well, Greg's ways come out of being a really good keyboard player. If that's not you...
Even so there's a learning curve to using for instance the strum engine, to say the least.

I'm good with slow, tedious MIDI editing and heavy reliance on keyswitching (since I'm a shite keyboardist; also note that serious orchestration with virtual instances means a lot of KS). OTS is more geared to establishing conditions using, eg., velocity to determine the switching via live keyboard playing. It's still switching and still means RTFM.

I wouldn't say that Electri6ity is a much steeper learning curve than Scarbee bass for Kontakt if at all. If I wanted to throw money at virtual guitar, Electri6ity.

I used to use guitar Vsts, before picking up guitar. Within a week I was able to do very basic stuff, and even within a week of playing it, I had already stopped using vsts.

With a cheap squire strat, you can do things like this,
www.soundcloud.com/kiiryu/metal_test

And hell, you can even do it with a ukulele.
www.soundcloud.com/kiiryu/electric-ukulele

For an amp vst I'd suggest S-gear. I've used pretty much all of them but I keep coming back to it. I'd use it whether you're using real guitar or a vst.

That said, you really should try picking up guitar, you'll be surprised at how quick it is to pick up. At the very least, take a trip down to
a guitar shop, and take a look around; many of them also have financing options where you can pay for it over a longer period of time, if $200-$300 is too much for you to swallow. You'll also need an audio interface, which you can get for around $100.

I picked the OTS Guitars because they fit what i was looking for. I know that there will be a learning curve but what i meant is that i prefer an easier learning curve to a harder one. If Electri6ity is not too hard to learn then i'll gladly keep an eye on it and see if it's worth getting at some point. I have Electric Sunburst if i want easy touch of a button guitar playing :P.

I wouldn't say i am great with my digital piano, but as long as i can compose with it and my virtual instruments then that's enough for now. I am considering serious piano study at some point along with notation because if i ever get the chance to work with my favorite composer then i feel like since he's a pianist himself and knows all that along with production, composition and arrangement i would probably slow him down if i showed up and didn't know how to read sheet music and play well. But i don't think i will pick up another instrument, at least not now.

Also i don't plan to do any live performing, just wanted to throw that out there. I am only interested in making music.

As to buying a real guitar. I know that the real thing is still very hard to replace, more so with some instruments compared to others. But i have decided to stick to virtual instruments and learning to use them so that is what i will do. I fully appreciate the input though.

progtronic wrote:Electri6ity is very expensive.. but you get a lot for the money. You can also find it on sale once in a while.. sometimes for 1/2 price. Eight different guitars, all very deeply sampled. So deeply.. it even works for Extreme Metal, even though it's obvious that is not even close to it's originally intended purpose.

You can hear what I did with it on this album:

http://soundcloud.com/progtronic/sets/mortis-metallum

It's very complicated to learn, however. Took me a few months to wrap my head around the many pages of options it gives you to fully customize each guitar.

It's as if they considered almost every possible option you could ever imagine for a sampled guitar library.. and then added even more stuff on top of that, that you'd probably never even consider.. then gave you all the power to get into every nook and cranny, and set them up however you want.

There's really nothing else like it available anywhere else. Once you get the hang of it.. it's really hard to use anything else without feeling there's just a lot "missing", in other libraries. Definitely recommended, if you can pick it up on sale.. and have the time and patience to learn the ins & outs of all the possibilities it offers.
Wow... this library sounds really amazing, thank you!

Do you have any examples of tunes which use the clean/jazz tone?

Springman wrote:...Do you have any examples of tunes which use the clean/jazz tone?
Nope.. mostly Metal. There might be a few instances on that album of clean guitar that use the jazz/hollowbody guitars, but I usually used the Strat and Tele for the clean stuff.

If you're looking for clean/jazz guitars, check out Orange Tree Samples; Evolution Jazz Archtop:
https://www.orangetreesamples.com/produ ... zz-archtop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnQ7ePB ... e=youtu.be

As good as Electri6ity is.. I really think Orange Tree just nails the cleaner guitar stuff. And the interface is a lot more user friendly, and easier to deal with.

SpiritHanyou wrote:So i have decided that i will stick to the Scarbee Bass guitars i have which came with Komplete. For Electric i will go with the Evolution Rock Standard, and for Acoustic i will get the Evolution Songwriter. I don't really need a Metal guitar right now but if i do get one then i'll consider the Heavier7Strings.

I just want to thank everyone that chimed in. And just for fun here's why this guy is so awesome. For Christmas he did this.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6c2nrl

Thanks again!
I would get more realistic basses.The scarbee Rickenbacker.The orange tree Rick has 32 Round robins.
Ample sound basses are great.And impact sound works basses are good too.

I have the Rickenbacker. If i feel like i can't get enough out of em i'll get another. Thanks for the those suggestions!

Return to “Instruments”