MSpectral Delay

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MSpectralDelay

planetearth wrote:Still, Melda gives you a lot for free
Nothing comes for free. Melda users know the price to pay and they're willing to. Others won't.

pekbro wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:
UA = Unfiltered Audio right? Their SpecOps plugin doesn't do spectral delay. Can't compare.

And if you are referring to Spectron when mentioning iZotope, it's a 15 years old discontinued plugin and it's totally out of MSpectral Delay's league.
Yes Unfiltered Audio, I realize there is no delay effect in SpecOps, that’s why I was referring to the way spectral processing is implemented, not the specifics of the effect.

As for Izotope, I was referring to the spectral filtering workflow in Iris actually.

-cheers
from an audio processing/ DSP perspective there is not really any difference in how the "spectral processing" is achieved. Both use FFts to transform the audio to the frequency domain and then wang it up from there. This plugin just does all of that inside a delay buffer allowing for different delay times at each frequency with different feedback amounts and such. If the visual feedback helps you can turn on a realtime spectrograph of the signal superimposed over the settings in MSpectral delay if you start from a blank instead of one of their "active presets". That's one of the least appealing and (in my opinion" more confusing parts of the Melda plugin setup. Setting all the meta presets up like they are completely different processors makes it more difficult to wrap one's head around what the processor actually does. I could see them being useful for users to make for themselves, but they don't really make especially useful starting points due to how the multiparameters and modulation interact in all the Melda plugins. I would suggest starting with the "default" preset loaded so you can just play with the nuts and bolts of the plugin. It's very much like every other spectral plugin then.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Some stuff...
Thanks for the thoughtful input, I do understand how it works. I have to admit,
I probably haven't considered using the multi-parameter system to create some
deeper complexity, quite as thoroughly as I should have.

I will have a look again...

Thanks...

This is a really amazing plugin! For musicians and sound designers, things like this are incredibly inspiring.
I don't understand why Melda plugins don't get more respect in general. They really feel like 21st century tools in a way that a lot of other plugins don't.
Anyway, I just wanted to show my respect and say thank you for this great new tool that I am shocked is being given away for free!

Melda is great
The modular mxxx plugin is probably the most advanced effects processor to date , and the price shows :)
I just think their installers suck big time
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

planetearth wrote:Yes most of them are not top tier AV programs but for many years I used Bitdefender which is frequently rated as the top Security Suite and it's normally not prone to false positives.
I've used Bitdefender for about 4 years now and has actually been the first a/v package I've actually upgraded to the paid-for version as it's so good, however it's an absolute pain when it comes to false positives. It hates *anything* with custom compression/packers. I probably submit a false positive report once every couple of months due to it blocking some vst installer or demoscene .exe classed as Gen:Varient.somenumber

The pre-release Melda installers were no exception but I submitted the setup file of rc2 to them last week and so by the time the final v12 was released this weekend the false positive had been removed.

so annoying that the first delay doesn't get filtered, it's not until the second delay pass that the filter kicks in... surely there's a setting i'm overlooking? Can anyone else confirm?.. the first delay is unaffected by the filter?

Thank you so much for such a good plugin, and making it affordable. Each Melda plugin is like whole processor dedicated to do something and offers detailed control.
Some of the plugins feel really optimized.

sqigls wrote:so annoying that the first delay doesn't get filtered, it's not until the second delay pass that the filter kicks in... surely there's a setting i'm overlooking? Can anyone else confirm?.. the first delay is unaffected by the filter?
I thought I noticed this as well but put it down to my ignorance of the Melda functional philosophy..

Why do they have to make such beautiful plugins like delays so overcomplicated and ugly? Anyways a real cpu hog (only can good sound out of it with higher fft sizes which result in quite more cpu), I think it often sounds pretty phasey in dry/wet and I can hear the transients smear in medium long delays. Resizing doesn't zoom the ui like expected but destroys the layout!? C'mon wtf. Can't wrap my head about these melda philosophies.

Sounds like you just want MDelayMB rather than a spectral delay (which has all the 'side effects' of what you mention due to FFT processing). To change the UI (including Zoom level) Click [Settings] and select 'Style Wizard' to define the default style settings for the plug-in

mcbpete wrote:Sounds like you just want MDelayMB rather than a spectral delay (which has all the 'side effects' of what you mention due to FFT processing).
TBH at 1 point I thought about MSpectralDelay is just MDelayMB with more bands (which would be a pretty rip off).
mcbpete wrote:To change the UI (including Zoom level) Click [Settings] and select 'Style Wizard' to define the default style settings for the plug-in
:dog: omg. Why does any other dev but Meldaproduction gets resizing done in a user friendly way?

CinningBao wrote:
sqigls wrote:so annoying that the first delay doesn't get filtered, it's not until the second delay pass that the filter kicks in... surely there's a setting i'm overlooking? Can anyone else confirm?.. the first delay is unaffected by the filter?
I thought I noticed this as well but put it down to my ignorance of the Melda functional philosophy..
I think there's a way around this. I'll have to check in the shop a bit later though.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

RobinWood wrote: :dog: omg. Why does any other dev but Meldaproduction gets resizing done in a user friendly way?
Other devs pretty much only allow resizing (if you're lucky - see the Korg Legacy Collection thread!) but Melda's plugins allow resizing, colour theming and UI controller changes at a per-VST level (or a global level if you want to change stuff all in one go) so have it in the Settings page

mcbpete wrote:but Melda's plugins allow resizing, colour theming and UI controller changes at a per-VST level
Which is not needed in the plugin of other devs but in melda... Just don't get why the resizing indicator rather destroys the fluid layout instead of a pretty common zooming behavior.

Return to “Effects”