One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Taron wrote:This thing is unbelievably beautiful for percussion again.
Isn't it? Even cymbals can sound organic with Crust.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Hello,

My entry this time is another piece of... Techno (a bit slow at 113 bpm? Dunno what this really is). After getting that "Oh Yea" sound out of crust I was doomed to stick with simple booming kick bass and boringly repeating beat. Formant filters were heavily abused in making of this song. Huge round bass was forced trough a square hole to fill all the low end and to disturb your neighbors (I know mine were).

Hopefully you guys don't get bored too fast while listening. I could have ended the track much sooner but I just had to make it up to 6 minutes as a formality. I had a blast making this because the kick sounded so damn good and I couldn't stop laughing at the "Oh Yea" "Uuu Aaa" "Haloo" sounds.

https://soundcloud.com/too86/oh-yea

Made with Ableton Live 10
14 instances of Crust was used
~15x EQ8
~15x Compressors
1x Gate
1x Simple delay
1x Auto Pan
1x Reverb
Master channel EQ8, glue compressor, utility(to make low end mono), limiter

VST plugins:
2x TAL Reverb 4
1x TAL Dub

Snazzy, Too86! :tu:
...haven't yet gotten to that part of goofing around with the synth, but it sounds really fun! :D
It's been again some days since I've played with Crust and it seems like every time I get back to it, it amazes me even more. I've just created a really unusual kick drum. What puzzles me most is the peculiar dimensional sensation sounds get, as if a kind of high-end effect was on them. Really strange and fantastic! Very unique!
I do wish it had some more control over the envelope "curves", but rather than bickering because of needy old habits, I know that I should explore more. Feels like there's a tremendous depth to its possibilities that requires plenty of experimentation. An adventure!!! YES! :hyper:

Just twist the knobs and press some buttons and listen it all go horribly wrong.

Then after an hour realize that you still need a plan and create a sound in 5 minutes with one! Happens every time for me.

Yeah I just gave up on trying to get the envelopes just right and went with host automation.

Nah, there is a certain magic, trying to use the filters to help with certain decay tightening and such. I'm trying to keep it inside the synth. My first kick I made with a triggered sequence and glide, which works quite nicely, too, but only later I figured out the O2 ENV on OSC1 and, of course, the filter resonance + env (Kind of a "Duh" moment).
Outside of this kind of "ordinary" there is such curious magic beneath it, begging to be explored. I hope, I'll have enough time to really dig in!

Well a bit of both actually .. mostly went with crust but for pads and drums went with host.
Last edited by generaldiomedes on Mon May 21, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey guys,

just wanted to share some news
1.) Grab yourself a free copy of Meldaproduction MSpectralDelay: It is available completely free of charge for the first two weeks - May 19th to June 3rd! https://www.meldaproduction.com/
2.) There's another free plugin, called Wider from Polyverse...go get it for free...okay, not "free", you have to "pay" with an email address for it...but we all know these temp address providers ;-) https://polyversemusic.com/products/wider/. It's one of those ultra width plugins to get the sound I'm after since "It's"...https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/its
3.) I managed to get over 10.000 listens on my soundcloud...actually I have to admit, that me listening to myself must be at least more than 500 of those... ;-) Anyway thanks to all you guys at OSC for listening, sharing feedback, insights tipps and tricks and just for being a great community!
It's great to be part of it.

See ya next month...still occupied by Transistow and Bitwig ;-)

I maybe thought you had decided that Crust was interesting enough after all to participate :)

Downloading MSpectralDelay, will give it a spin, and congrats on the 10,000 listens!
Last edited by generaldiomedes on Mon May 21, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wow! Just looked at my Soundcloud stats! 24,758 listens - I am astounded! :dog:

I'll look at those plugins ... thanks for the headsup Peter :tu: … and congrats at the 10k!

Cheers,

dB

So I decided to try and whip up a little thing for this. Decided to do it like last time, effects free, but this time as there's no sound generator to keep within limits for me I decided to go all out with stereo and more. My CPU didn't really like that tho :A

https://soundcloud.com/mm1_alt/moviemovies1-lost-sea

DAW: FL Studio 12.5.1 [Build 5]
27 instances of Crust used
No external effects.

Was a lot of fun making this.
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

I might try to squeeze something in quickly by end of month :( Been so busy at work lately.

functionform wrote:I might try to squeeze something in quickly by end of month :( Been so busy at work lately.
Do it! You won't be disappointed!
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Hilarious...Bitwig is my new love. Just fiddled together a short demo with about 6 Crusts and Bitwig. Crust might be a aweful capable synth but the gui ... and lack of a manual does not really convince me to go for a full submission.
However the absolutely amazing thing about the track is - what your listening to is only about 60 midi notes all together (the horrible bdr not included), no chords. A clever combination of some awesome bitwig plugins with only tiny number of bitwig modulators and bluearp...wow...this combo is going to be much fun for coming OSCs ;-) The track is just my demo playground, no serious mixing, just heavy automation of chord generation, automatic diatonic in-key transposition and some stupid arps. I love bitwigs "the daw is a modular" approach, this is just amazing...What you see in the picture is about it in terms of music content.
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/ther ... rs/s-Bh4wQ
BITWIG-PLAYGROUND.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Great stuff Peter. :tu: Sounds like you are lining up to shoot a real epic! :party: Maybe not with Crust, but soon! :)

Cheers,

dB

Return to “Instruments”