Room acoustical treatment...for suckers?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And Thai Chi is actually one of the Chinese 'internal' martial arts. Others are Baguazhang and Xing Yi Quan. These are among the oldest sources of sensitivity training exercises like Push Hands, which have become a part of many modern martial arts systems.

Many instructors today tend to obscure the martial nature of the art, probably because it takes many years to develop the skills necessary to apply it's principles in the context of a real fight. But there can be no doubt that Thai Chi came into being as a martial art. Modern practitioners of martial arts like Jeet Kun Do and Kali might not use it as a practical fighting system, but they definitely incorporate principles derived from it.

Wow. That looks really strange sitting by itself at the top of a page in a thread about acoustic treatments.

herodotus wrote:Wow. That looks really strange sitting by itself at the top of a page in a thread about acoustic treatments.

not as weird as
page of cat pics...
page of discussion about ndes and life after death :o

herodotus wrote:And Thai Chi is actually one of the Chinese 'internal' martial arts. Others are Baguazhang and Xing Yi Quan. These are among the oldest sources of sensitivity training exercises like Push Hands, which have become a part of many modern martial arts systems.

Many instructors today tend to obscure the martial nature of the art, probably because it takes many years to develop the skills necessary to apply it's principles in the context of a real fight. But there can be no doubt that Thai Chi came into being as a martial art. Modern practitioners of martial arts like Jeet Kun Do and Kali might not use it as a practical fighting system, but they definitely incorporate principles derived from it.
Thanks for the background, I'm always open to learn new things.
You do see my original comment was to make comparison of the disks to Tai chi since they both are said to balance energies. Ok, I get it.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

annode wrote:
herodotus wrote:And Thai Chi is actually one of the Chinese 'internal' martial arts. Others are Baguazhang and Xing Yi Quan. These are among the oldest sources of sensitivity training exercises like Push Hands, which have become a part of many modern martial arts systems.

Thanks for the background, I'm always open to learn new things.
You do see my original comment was to make comparison of the disks to Tai chi since they both are said to balance energies. Ok, I get it.
Hey, when does a guy get to show off his knowledge of something as obscure as that? :hihi:

I didn't study it or anything. I had a friend who was an absolute fanatic about Chinese martial arts. He did herbology as well. He made this absolutely horrible smelling herbal concoction he called 'bruise juice'. It stank, but it actually relieved sore muscles quite effectively.

vurt wrote:
herodotus wrote:Wow. That looks really strange sitting by itself at the top of a page in a thread about acoustic treatments.

not as weird as
page of cat pics...
page of discussion about ndes and life after death :o

Hey, that's just everyday kvr, isn't it?

vurt wrote:
maschinelf wrote:Umm .. going to take the liberty of going OT but do you even know what taichi is? Sure if you're talking about the new age dance then I don't think anyone really knows what that is. But if you talking about the martial art, then it's only one of the best martial arts ever developed.

so long as your attacker comes at you in slo mo!

yes, i know tai chi has benefits for the body. i do it, some patterns, to aid with my arthritis.
:D .. sadly this is what the common perception has become. This has to do with Yang Cheng fu and Cheng man Ching's attempts to simplify it. They had good intentions, but it also led to some dilution. I know first hand that it works as a martial art because I'm not even an advanced student and my training has bailed me out of a few tight spots, even with multiple opponents. Not that I would like to put that to the test on a regular basis, because such situations are very unpredictable and I'm certainly no expert.

Taekwondo is not even close to being as effective or deadly as taichi. It only addresses one or at most two out of four aspects of all the aspects of attacking and defending that it should address. The problem with t'aichi is that the fighting art is too obscure and difficult to train in, and as such is also quite difficult to teach, because it is truly internal in that one has to go beyond body mechanics and this is where it tends to get abstract. You can't just perform the choreography or learn the moves and expect to get good at it, you really have to understand the physics of what you're doing and how that would manipulate your opponent. Also there are very few good teachers, and this is a problem I have suffered from too, as training with someone who really understands the martial arts aspect requires you to travel to different countries. In a way, I'd rather it stay that way. Let stuff like taekwondo remain mainstream, the finer aspects of t'aichi and the dedication required are in any case not for everyone. And anyone can see what the mainstream version of it has become. For it's preservation, it's probably best if most people stick to that version and only the people who really want to go deep pursue it further, and it continues to stay preserved and grow that way rather than it being packaged and made more accessible, and then what little is left of it might get diluted too.
Last edited by maschinelf on Tue May 22, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Would also be happy to share more info about t'aichi and about a few good teachers I know about or have trained with via pm.

Thanks to maschinelf & herodotus for turning my post into a martial arts subject. :x :dog:
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”