Aurora FM - New Win(32/64) VSTi FM synthesizer - Introductory pricing

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Aurora FM

Well that's the expected feedback distortion ("hunting" in the Tomisawa patent) at high levels of feedback. I've got a 2-sample averaging filter on the feedback, which improves it over none-at-all. What's the accepted best practice for improving upon this? What's your recommendation?

RyFi wrote:Well that's the expected feedback distortion ("hunting" in the Tomisawa patent) at high levels of feedback. I've got a 2-sample averaging filter on the feedback, which improves it over none-at-all. What's the accepted best practice for improving upon this? What's your recommendation?
Well I don't know , I am just comparing with dexed , my nord modular and a self made reaktor ensemble .
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/8291/
I know that feedback brings artifacts when pushed beyond it's limits , but non of the examples exhibit this behaviour of equally spreaded overtones at 5 ,10 ,15 KHz .before breaking up into noise
ONly Aurora does .
The point is , the feedback doesn't get sharp enough to get a nice saw wave , where other produce all harmonics before breaking up , aurora introduces the prominent ear piercing overtones .

To developer, thanks for updating the plugin to make it work on my system
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

RyFi wrote: I've got a 2-sample averaging filter on the feedback,
That can't really produce those 5 ,10 ,15 Khz overtones , No ?
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Fri May 18, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Well I don't know , I am just comparing with dexed , my nord modular and a self made reaktor ensemble .
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/8291/
I know that feedback brings artifacts when pushed beyond it's limits , but non of the examples exhibit this behaviour of equally spreaded overtones at 5 ,10 ,15 KHz .before breaking up into noise
ONly Aurora does .
The point is , the feedback doesn't get sharp enough to get a nice saw wave , where other produce all harmonics before breaking up , aurora introduces the prominent ear piercing overtones .

To developer, thanks for updating the plugin to make it work on my system
It looks like a failure on my part to quantify my feedback results against what others are doing. I didn't know that my feedback level before hunting was inferior to what other synths were achieving. I'll do some R&D and come up with an improvement here. Thanks for reporting.

gentleclockdivider wrote:
RyFi wrote: I've got a 2-sample averaging filter on the feedback,
That can't really produce those 5 ,10 ,15 Khz overtones , No ?
I'm fairly sure the averaging improves the feedback depth before hunting and wouldn't be responsible for those peaks. It's in the Tomisawa patent and I'm pretty sure in the Yamaha FM synths.

dexed saw , 1 operator feedback ..goingto saw ( look at an osciloscope ) .
The feedback in dexed is set to 6 ( max is 7 ) , a beatifull sounding saw without going into FM overload mode .
Almost all harmonics are achieved
https://app.box.com/s/hixezaa3pxst79jeryjb2eey2gnebi5o

Here's an example of aurora ..trying to do the same thing ..I have to increase the feedback in order to get those harmonics out ...but instead ..those annoying 5,10,15 overtones com out
If I decrease the feedback , thesaw is too dull , that's what I mean with the sweetspot right before breakingup .
https://app.box.com/s/jzsi4b5qpp9tlpvw4tng4ybkbk1igrm2

Notice the difference ?
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Notice the difference ?
Yes, I did from the beginning, you've made your point. I'm working on it.

Fixed. New version up.

Hooray to gentleclockdivider for bringing to my attention an issue that nobody else, including myself, noticed. :party:

I just had a crash, which is pretty rare.

I installed version 9.9. I loaded a patch I saved earlier in a previous version (pretty sure that was 9.5). (started from a DX patch which I tweaked). The error "Some parameters were missing from the patch file" appeared.

Then the whole thing crashed (Aurora and DAW) on me.
Live 10 suite, Windows 7 64 bit.

Anyway to change gui size?
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

RyFi wrote:Fixed. New version up.

Hooray to gentleclockdivider for bringing to my attention an issue that nobody else, including myself, noticed. :party:

Sorry , but it's not completely fixed , while it is fixed on a single operator feedback ( algo 32 )
It is not fixed with algoritm 6 , where operator 6 goes into op5 and operataor 5 goes back into 6 ( gain of both operators amoun for feedback )
When we increase the output gain of operator 5 ( which also determines the amount of gain in the feedback loop )
The spikes re-occur.

Quick description .-choose algo 6
-set operator 5 to 0db
-set feedback to 30
-increase output gain of operator 6 , spikes appear at when op6 is at 3.9 db
Alsso occurs with algo 4 ( 3 operator are part of feedback loop )

I try to replicate it in reaktor core , I can get the same spike when setting overall sample rate to 11Khz , but only one spike occuring at 5Khz .
There has to be a reason why exactly they occur at 5,10,15 Khz .
Just trying to help out :tu:
Eyeball exchanging

Stefken wrote:I just had a crash, which is pretty rare.

I installed version 9.9. I loaded a patch I saved earlier in a previous version (pretty sure that was 9.5). (started from a DX patch which I tweaked). The error "Some parameters were missing from the patch file" appeared.

Then the whole thing crashed (Aurora and DAW) on me.
Live 10 suite, Windows 7 64 bit.
Please email me your patch and I'll figure it out.
Scrubbing Monkeys wrote:Anyway to change gui size?
Nope.

Stefken wrote:I just had a crash, which is pretty rare.

So the missing parameters warning wasn't unexpected, you see that because your patch was saved before the Chorus addition and it's just letting you know that there are parameters in the synth that aren't defined in the patch. You can make this go away by loading the patch and then saving it again.

It's just a coincidence that you crashed after doing the patch load. I introduced a crash yesterday :dog: but it's fixed now. Sorry about that.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sorry , but it's not completely fixed
You're of course right, the same underlying issue was occurring for Algs 4 & 6 but I failed to fix that yesterday. It's taken care of now.

New version up.
  • Fixed distorted output with non-standard buffer sizes.

Return to “Instruments”