iLok you out for no reason! A warning.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dasheesh wrote:This is the windows 10 creative update that is causing the issues and yes... its HUGE. I have fast connection and a fast computer and it still took quite a while. I couldn’t help myself... my cutiousity was killing me. Everyone raves about how much they like hybrid and it was given free. I did it. Something I told myself I would never do. What I did was make a back up and a restore point before installing. At the first sign of problems I will rip everything out the hard way and restore. I see why folks like hybrid. Very well produced sample oscillators and a good filter too, but its awful small. Why are these things so small?
Because Hybrid is old as dirt when monitor resolutions were a lot smaller.

Just a quick update- got some licences back (thanks UVI!) still waiting on three vendors…

Seems like a really convoluted way of doing things rather than just deleting the offending computer with all licences referenced to it.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I had a continuous problem in Cubase 9 (periodical spikes in CPU and sound). No more iLok for me. I especially regret losing Eventide reverbs and some Air plugins (Loom and Transfused).
I have enough synths and drums but no reverbs to substitute the Eventide ones :( (no Waves either). I'm keep looking for alternatives however.

EnGee wrote:I had a continuous problem in Cubase 9 (periodical spikes in CPU and sound). No more iLok for me. I especially regret losing Eventide reverbs and some Air plugins (Loom and Transfused).
I have enough synths and drums but no reverbs to substitute the Eventide ones :( (no Waves either). I'm keep looking for alternatives however.
Is that what's causing those spikes, iLok? Because I get it too and today it drove me crazy. Takes a while before it goes away.

The cpu spikes and “clips” come from some background process that windows is trying to perform instead of it devoting itself to what you want it to do. It’s “stealing” a cpu cycle, and usually (most often) it’s because it is trying to connect to the internet for one reason or another.

wagtunes wrote:
EnGee wrote:I had a continuous problem in Cubase 9 (periodical spikes in CPU and sound). No more iLok for me. I especially regret losing Eventide reverbs and some Air plugins (Loom and Transfused).
Is that what's causing those spikes, iLok? Because I get it too and today it drove me crazy. Takes a while before it goes away.
Yes it is. No problem now without iLok in Cubase 9 Pro (Win 10), although to be fair I haven't a problem with other hosts (Reason, Reaper etc.), but I use Cubase mainly.

wagtunes wrote:
twitewhite wrote:I just got screwed over by this. After a Windows Update that took over an hour (wtf) now iLok won't connect. It may or may not be fixed by restarting or reinstalling, haven't tested it yet. Came straight to KVR to complain, haha.

Actually, I'm kind of glad this happened. It lets me test my goal to be iLok free by 2019, if not sooner, by giving me a chance to only use non-iLok plugins.
I'm gonna guess you're on Windows 10 because I've never been locked out because of an update on Windows 7.
Yes, Windows 10. I wish I could use 7 honestly, but my computer came with 8, so I don't think it would have a valid license for 7.

Better would be to find a way to disable Windows 10 updates for good (even registry edits and disabling services seem not to work, as Windows automatically "fixes" them). I don't really mind the other issues of 10 that much, just the forced updates that make me lose documents I haven't saved and cause all sorts of problems and mostly just reset all the telemetry settings I've disabled and introduce more social media bloat that I won't even use.

If anyone knows a real solution that works, I'd love to know, as this is really starting to drive me crazy.

You can stop automatic windows updates by switching your internet connection to metered connection.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:You can stop automatic windows updates by switching your internet connection to metered connection.
Worked for me too....

SLiC wrote:You can stop automatic windows updates by switching your internet connection to metered connection.
Just disable the Windows update service. :lol:

Thankfully, disabling services has a permanent effect under Windows 7. I don't want to think what a constant struggle it would be dealing with the iLok issues if I had 10...

So for me, with some ingenuity, iLok is functioning OK so far. Maybe this is the secret ingredient in being successful with iLok (and the great plugins that require it) - Win 7.

Very first thing is: Make a restore point!!! Back up your Drive!!!

You need a clean house. You need to be able to control what your computer is doing as much as possible, so you need control over the resources and their allocation. This is the importance for as little bloat as possible, and uninstalling anything you don't use. Remember after you uninstall, you have to do a file search for any indexed related files, because uninstalling on windows does not uninstall the whole program, it leaves all kinds of trash on your hard drive, you need to rid yourself of dirty little orphan files begging for resources in the dark corners of your hard drive. You want a "light" system.

Then you are going to have to do a deep dive... down into the depths of your system. Microsoft has hidden all the important stuff way down in the darkest corners of your system so you won't find them. In a lot of cases removed access to them altogether. If you know what you are looking for it's easier, because you can just type it in search to find where it's hidden. Unfortunately, those unfamiliar with a computer are going to have a difficult time. You want to shut down any and all automatic processes. Let nothing be done for you. Clear task manager and and any scheduled processes as well. This will take a little time to find and shut them all off, set aside an afternoon or more.

Download Mozilla and install Ghostery, uBlock, Privacy Badger, and Disconnect script blockers. Go into all other browsers and clear EVERYTHING and tell them to no longer accept ANYTHING, and make sure it clears EVERYTHING everytime it closes. Now set Firefox as your default browser.

Then go to your system and type in "clean". Clean everything you can. Make sure you rid yourself of old windows versions and optimized delivery files and such. Then go get : CCleaner, Malware Bytes Virus scan, Malware Bytes ADW Cleaner, and OldTimers Tools temp file cleaner. Run them all. Use CCleaner to clean registry issues as well.

Now disconnect your computer from the internet. Turn off internet access altogether.

Do a "hard reset" by holding down your powerbutton for 10 seconds. This should clear RAM. REBOOT after 60 seconds. Now you should be able to run your audio programs on a fast light performing PC.

Dasheesh wrote:Very first thing is: Make a restore point!!! Back up your Drive!!!

You need a clean house. You need to be able to control what your computer is doing as much as possible, so you need control over the resources and their allocation. This is the importance for as little bloat as possible, and uninstalling anything you don't use. Remember after you uninstall, you have to do a file search for any indexed related files, because uninstalling on windows does not uninstall the whole program, it leaves all kinds of trash on your hard drive, you need to rid yourself of dirty little orphan files begging for resources in the dark corners of your hard drive. You want a "light" system.

Then you are going to have to do a deep dive... down into the depths of your system. Microsoft has hidden all the important stuff way down in the darkest corners of your system so you won't find them. In a lot of cases removed access to them altogether. If you know what you are looking for it's easier, because you can just type it in search to find where it's hidden. Unfortunately, those unfamiliar with a computer are going to have a difficult time. You want to shut down any and all automatic processes. Let nothing be done for you. Clear task manager and and any scheduled processes as well. This will take a little time to find and shut them all off, set aside an afternoon or more.

Download Mozilla and install Ghostery, uBlock, Privacy Badger, and Disconnect script blockers. Go into all other browsers and clear EVERYTHING and tell them to no longer accept ANYTHING, and make sure it clears EVERYTHING everytime it closes. Now set Firefox as your default browser.

Then go to your system and type in "clean". Clean everything you can. Make sure you rid yourself of old windows versions and optimized delivery files and such. Then go get : CCleaner, Malware Bytes Virus scan, Malware Bytes ADW Cleaner, and OldTimers Tools temp file cleaner. Run them all. Use CCleaner to clean registry issues as well.

Now disconnect your computer from the internet. Turn off internet access altogether.

Do a "hard reset" by holding down your powerbutton for 10 seconds. This should clear RAM. REBOOT after 60 seconds. Now you should be able to run your audio programs on a fast light performing PC.
No offense, but you are a total screw loose. Only a total screw loose would go through all this shit.

Thank you but my PC runs fine and I don't do any of this shit.

Where do you find the time to make music?

Forgot one step. After you clean everything and before you do a hard reset you want to go into system and type “defrag”. This will bring you to a place where you can “optimize” your drives. Do it. It will clean up and organize your drives before you shut down. Don’t forget to tell it to NOT do it automatically while you are there. It’s one of those problematic scheduled tasks.

wagtunes wrote: Where do you find the time to make music?
This wags, is the root problem of a pc.

On the other hand, you can actually work on your computer and are not treated like a 12 yr. old by the company you bought your computer from.

Return to “Instruments”