[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

bundoo wrote:
SLiC wrote:
bundoo wrote:Im sure some people will love this...you cant have everything at once of course...the request list will probably be slowly dribbled out over . releases

that said...cubase has much better chord track integration and editing capacity

reaper is far superior in everything but UI (which I think S1 is actually strong at aside from always having tool bars and transport visible) and far cheaper...the developers really just dont bother with the nonsense

the new instruments are very superficial crowd pleasers imo...most people will already have similar functionality...the pattern sequencer is well cribbed from geist it seems...

sampler adsr needs to be on the wave form...

pitch/tape timestretch was all i wanted so ill wait for the .5 release

i really wish the marketing would not patronise customers with the hipster nonsense....just make the software a transparent tool for doing what you want easily and you wont even need to shine it all up in some out of touch package for the kids....

thats all the useless complaining i have for now
I have Cubase 9.5 and S1 4 - having now used the both side by side I realy can’t see any way In which Cubase chord track is better, S1 is in a totally different league here with audio detection and transpose. I also think S1 now has better drum/step editing than Cubase and the sampler is now more versatile and useful than Cubase sampler (track). They are signifigant features for many people.
cubase can tie chord track to variaudio...for detection and transposing etc
+1

https://youtu.be/Nk2dDxjlcLU

Seems lots of people compare things when they don't understand them
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

ericj23 wrote:
bundoo wrote:
SLiC wrote:
bundoo wrote:Im sure some people will love this...you cant have everything at once of course...the request list will probably be slowly dribbled out over . releases

reaper is far superior in everything but UI (which I think S1 is actually strong at aside from always having tool bars and transport visible) and far cheaper...the developers really just dont bother with the nonsense

the new instruments are very superficial crowd pleasers imo...most people will already have similar functionality...the pattern sequencer is well cribbed from geist it seems...

i really wish the marketing would not patronise customers with the hipster nonsense....just make the software a transparent tool for doing what you want easily and you wont even need to shine it all up in some out of touch package for the kids....

I have Cubase 9.5 and S1 4 - having now used the both side by side I realy can’t see any way In which Cubase chord track is better, S1 is in a totally different league here with audio detection and transpose. I also think S1 now has better drum/step editing than Cubase and the sampler is now more versatile and useful than Cubase sampler (track). They are signifigant features for many people.
+1

As I have 9.5 and studio 4 I am compairing them both today side by side, the only fair way to make a comparison- I buy or demo the software, use it, and then decide myself what I think works for me.. I am only interested in the features 'I' use, the ease of use and how it sounds on my stuff...

I have used chord track extensively in Cubase as a compositional tool (its one of the main reasons I still use Cubase as a DAW) but am not a hudge fan of Variaudio and have not had great results with 'detection' (particulary on polyphonic material) or adjustment of things like vocals or quieter parts (acoustic guitar etc)

I own and use Melodyne Studio 4 which integrates in S1 and much prefer the sound (formant/timbre adjustment etc), and 'poly' audio editing (which with ARA2 is integrated in to the chord track editing for polyphonic chord detection from audio/polyphonic chord editing directly)

The point is if S1 now does this better (even the same) as Cubase I can sell my Cubase licence (as I prefer S1 + Notation in almost all other aspects).

If you take away the quaity of the poly audio detection/editing (which I use on loops for re-keying), there are in my opinion already better non DAW specific solutions for chord composition such as Scaler (which I also use) https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 933-Scaler
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

bundoo wrote:
SLiC wrote:

Is vari Audio polyphonic?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

ericj23 wrote:
bundoo wrote:
SLiC wrote:

+1

But from that video it seems in Cubase it only works on monohonic material while in Studio One works with polyphonic material as well - which would be a HUGE difference.

Are you 100% sure it's not you who compares stuff without actually really understanding it?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: But from that video it seems in Cubase it only works on monohonic material while in Studio One works with polyphonic material as well - which would be a HUGE difference.

Are you 100% sure it's not you who compares stuff without actually really understanding it?
Thanks to Melodyne I assume.

Is Melodyne with polyphonic pitch shifting standard, or do you have to upgrade Melodyne?

I remember looking at Melodyne at some point, Melodyne Editor, I think it was called, did polyphonic but not the other versions. But that ages ago.

Is it possible to assign your own drum synth to those pattern lines? Or it works only with samples imported to the Impact?

lfm wrote:
jens wrote: But from that video it seems in Cubase it only works on monohonic material while in Studio One works with polyphonic material as well - which would be a HUGE difference.

Thanks to Melodyne I assume.

Is Melodyne with polyphonic pitch shifting standard, or do you have to upgrade Melodyne?

I remember looking at Melodyne at some point, Melodyne Editor, I think it was called, did polyphonic but not the other versions. But that ages ago.

It might be that they have licensed technology from Celemony for this, but this is a native Studio One feature, not something you'd have to add/purchase an add-on for...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

VariAudio is monophonic and wouldn’t be as good as Melodyne at mono material. That being said you can get very acceptable results from it. S1v4 uses Melodyne for its chord tricks I assume? I tried it a bit yesterday and it’s pretty good, definite win for Presonus there.

The actual Chord track feature on midi is not as extensive with not having a proper alt voicing feature, unless I missed that ?
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Igro wrote:Is it possible to assign your own drum synth to those pattern lines? Or it works only with samples imported to the Impact?
it's an alternative MIDI editor and as such can be used with any instrument.

jens wrote:
Igro wrote:Is it possible to assign your own drum synth to those pattern lines? Or it works only with samples imported to the Impact?
it's an alternative MIDI editor and as such can be used with any instrument.
I'm playing with it now, its great- can be usd for anything (not just drums)- ratcheting, probablity etc all work as expected, fast and intuitive way to build rhythmical patterns with variations - certainly not original, but a great addition to native DAW editing. :clap:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

woodsdenis wrote: The actual Chord track feature on midi is not as extensive with not having a proper alt voicing feature, unless I missed that ?
Not sure if it has that, but I have played with it for a few minutes and its a great tool to teach the basics of chord theory.

Youi can add any note on the keyboard to make any extension/voicing to a chord and it tells you what the chord is and lets you apply it to audio etc.

woodsdenis wrote:VariAudio is monophonic and wouldn’t be as good as Melodyne at mono material. That being said you can get very acceptable results from it. S1v4 uses Melodyne for its chord tricks I assume? I tried it a bit yesterday and it’s pretty good, definite win for Presonus there.

The actual Chord track feature on midi is not as extensive with not having a proper alt voicing feature, unless I missed that ?
Well then its clear to everyone now that If it only does monophonic pitch editing then its no where near as advanced as Chord Tracks. Polyphonic Pitch editing is a strange type of voodoo which was thought to be impossible until only a few years ago with Melodyne DNA. It seems now that Presonus are the only other people who have figured out how to do it.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Or they do indeed use licensed technology from Celemony.

mgw38 wrote: Does anybody know if the plugin scanning on a Mac has been improved under Studio One V4?
It seems to. While launching, there is now a separate plugin scanner [window] that pops up (like Logic, if you're familiar) to scan the plugins, instead of seeing each one added one by one in the S1 start screen list, as was in v3. This is supposedly to keep S1 stable during the scan so that the scanner will take the hit instead of S1 if any plugin problem occurs. It does a full scan upon first launch which took about 5 minutes, then afterwards S1 launches very quickly.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”