Insidious 6581 SID chip emulation v1.2.4 released for Reaktor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Insidious 1.2.4.jpg
Hello.

I have just released a new update for Insidious 6581. It is a supremely accurate emulation of the 6581 SID chip from the Commodore 64.

As always, it's available for free from Reaktor's User Library (but you do need Reaktor to be able to use it). It is probably now the most accurate sounding SID emulation available (and by far the easiest to use). A bold claim, but after investigation and analysis I can confidently state that the output of Insidious 6581 is more accurate than reSID, which is pretty much the de facto SID emulation library in use today.

There are three major feature updates:
1) Filter curves based Antti Lankila's filter graphs for Standard (8580), Average SID, Follin, Galway, Strong and Extreme. You can also visually see the changing cutoff value in realtime in the graph.
2) The step table is now linked to the clock frequency so you can run the table at up to 150Hz (triple-speed playback).
3) You can now adjust the arp speed of the Live Arp mode.

Full changelist for 1.2.4:
* Added filter curves to match the filter cutoff values to various SID types.
* Added the ability to adjust the arp speed in 'Live arp' mode.
* Linked the Clock to the table speed allowing faster table speeds.
* Removed the filter oscilloscope to allow for the filter curve graphs.
* Added a final mix oscilloscope to the logo's SID chip.
* Changed the colour of the off colour of the PWM graph warning lights to match the channel background.
* Fixed a Clock bug where the modulation values would be smooth every other clock event.
* Fixed a potential bug when the Clock was set to Off.
* Renamed "Vol" in the Wheel menu to "Amp" to match the mod section it applies to.
* Got around a Reaktor bug where Live Arp wouldn't respond to MIDI in the Reaktor standalone app.
* Added an EQ to the noise output to more closely match the real SID output.
* Increased the stability of the oscilloscope displays.
* Fixed a bug in the filter where negative cutoff values would be treated as positive.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/8572/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fromwithin on Tue May 22, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i9-10980HK. Windows 10 (21H2). Komplete Audio 6. Studio One 5.4.1.

Wow! Impressive update! And faster table speeds! Been keeping my eye on this one, and listening to lots of tunes created with it. This is to good to pass up.. I might have to get reaktor now. Great work Mike!

Reaktor's always worth getting, Insidious or not. It's an amazing piece of software and there are thousands of synths, effects, sequencers, samplers, all sorts of stuff available for download on the User Library.

Of course if you do get it just for Insidious, then that gives me an extra warm feeling. :)

Yeah I bought Reaktor in a sale a year or two ago and not even touched the creation/programming side of it as a result of the absolutely incredible community library that basically covers has every type of thing (sound generation or effect) I'd ever need!

I've loved fiddling with Insidious, definitely find it much easier to get the C64 sounds I remember out of it than with Plogue Chipsounds (which is great but .... well I'm terrible at programming patches for it!)

Damn nice gonna have a play with this. Love makin chiptunes

Thanks for the work on this. I'm hoping I can replace QuadraSID in a couple of my songs with this (no 64-bit QuadraSID; abandoned by developer). Do you think I'll just be able to match the settings by comparing the controls? I don't think I used anything complex or unique, but then, I'm not sure how accurate QuadraSID was anyway.

Reaktor is awesome. I wish I had the mental mechanics to program it, but I don't really need to anyway, with all the stuff available made by other people.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:Do you think I'll just be able to match the settings by comparing the controls? I don't think I used anything complex or unique, but then, I'm not sure how accurate QuadraSID was anyway.
As far as accuracy goes, Quadrasid is pretty bad. It really just ticks off the SID feature list with little regard to accuracy. Got a triangle wave? Tick! Got PWM? Tick! Got any old multimode filter? Tick!

I don't see any reason why you couldn't match the settings in Insidious, but be aware that the tone probably won't sound identical because Insidious is very accurate to the real hardware and QuadraSID is not.

Insidious is very easy to use so you should be able to get what you want quickly. There's an overview video at https://youtu.be/w_o1x2BQYCo.

oh i always thought quadrasid was pretty accurate afaik from the past but heavy i was remembering wrong (or misunderstood, i didnt test myself with real sid chips), but i really love the sound somehow, Faked? fat and dirty :D
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

This is one of the reasons why I recommend people get Reaktor...you pay $200, but get access to $1000s more in free synths and effects.

Caine123 wrote:oh i always thought quadrasid was pretty accurate
It was always pretty bad in comparison to the real thing. It has functions that operate somewhat like a SID, but it doesn't sound like the real thing at all. You can create stuff that is SID-like, but nothing that sounds like it comes from an actual SID chip. The waveforms are not tonally correct, the filter is absolutely terrible, and it doesn't even have Ring Mod or Hard Sync.

I made INSIDIOUS 6581 because I stopped being able to use my HardSID Quattro. The drivers only work with Windows XP and I had to upgrade at some point. I went searching around for a software replacement and everything available was absolutely terrible. Bad sound, bad interfaces, bad stability. Especially bad were the filters. On the 6581, the filter is a dirty distorting beast with a very unique character, but nothing emulated it. So I made my own and have been very particular about its accuracy. I first released it in 2015 and it has been continuously updated with more features and better emulation. It's now at the point where I can confidently say that it is the most accurate SID emulation available and the easiest to use.

fromwithin wrote:
Caine123 wrote:oh i always thought quadrasid was pretty accurate
It was always pretty bad in comparison to the real thing. It has functions that operate somewhat like a SID, but it doesn't sound like the real thing at all. You can create stuff that is SID-like, but nothing that sounds like it comes from an actual SID chip. The waveforms are not tonally correct, the filter is absolutely terrible, and it doesn't even have Ring Mod or Hard Sync.

I made INSIDIOUS 6581 because I stopped being able to use my HardSID Quattro. The drivers only work with Windows XP and I had to upgrade at some point. I went searching around for a software replacement and everything available was absolutely terrible. Bad sound, bad interfaces, bad stability. Especially bad were the filters. On the 6581, the filter is a dirty distorting beast with a very unique character, but nothing emulated it. So I made my own and have been very particular about its accuracy. I first released it in 2015 and it has been continuously updated with more features and better emulation. It's now at the point where I can confidently say that it is the most accurate SID emulation available and the easiest to use.
Thx so much for the infos!!!

I cannot wait to test your plugin :) :tu:
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Return to “Instruments”