MCompare vs Magic AB

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I saw a vid about Sample magic ab and it seems really nice to compare your ttacks each other or maybe with some reference tracks.

For my releases i put on each playlist 1 song and just mute/unmute to compare but it us of course subjective.

I read that mcompare also checks rms levels and i got that also in fabfilter l2 but how well do you think is such a tool like mcompare while finalizing volume levels etc?

Or is such a tool bollocks?

What do you use or do?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I use it to MCompare every mix to compare mix balance, EQ, etc. I do use it for loudness too, but I think that's less important. When I'm mixing I do a rough mix and then use MCompare. I use the "set" feature to get the commerical tracks close to the same level as my track and then I listen to the levels of the instruments. If my bass is louder than all the other tracks I lower my bass. I do the same with the other insturments and then I listen to the EQ balance, etc. One cool feature is the high pass and low pass filters which allow you to listen to just the bass, mids or treble. It also lets you compare before and after fx(with loudness control), so you can see if what you did improved your song or just made it louder.

I'm biased, but I honestly do use MCompare on every mix.

I prefer static analysis like in Wavelab or Audition. But I'd go with Magic AB. Else "HOFA 4u blind test" is one free alternative. It also allows to use ears only.

I heard that plugins doing this job (like MCompare) have syncing problems.

Magic AB is easier to setup and handle imo. Its 2 layouts (the quick comparison and the waveform) makes it very fast to use.
Also I once took a look at Reference by MasteringTheMix which gives detail about how compressed your track is in several frequency areas compared to the references.

I once had the urge to buy some of these plugins but in the end I rarely use any comparison like that though. What I sometimes use is Perception by Meterplugs to compare a track level matched. But any loudness meter can help you with that.

I used to use sometimes Magic AB. It's a good tool but for some reasons it seems to crash Cubase if the DAW is running in the background. Magic AB had also problems reading some audio formats. So I avoid to use it :hihi:

i just found REFERENCE, it seems a better plugin compared to the other 2? looks promising!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Can you guys please tell me if Magic AB has a demo to try? I can't find it. Thank you.

Return to “Effects”