[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

I covered a solution to help fix plugin problems a few weeks a go, for Studio One 3.0 - 3.5.

' How To Fix Studio One If You have Enabled Black Listed Plugins & It Refuses To Load '
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=503996
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

SLiC wrote:Just one other bit of feedback that has just occurred to me- I have spent all day (8 hours so far) trying new features, opening old V3 songs ands general throwing stuff at V4 - not a singe crash, not a even a hiccup!
Same here. That and my concern about CPU demands being higher were my fears. Glad to see them being not the case. :tu:

Funny, I was just reading about Studio 3 this morning and thinking I should give it a look. Currently using Reaper and Renoise prior to that.

None of the new features really interest me though. I have Komplete, so I have no need for a sampler, drum sampler, or most soundware for that matter. Won't use the chord mode either as I prefer to figure chords out myself(not a great pianist at all, but I've gotten to the point where I don't need chord vsts to program them myself).
I'm more interested in things like new audio and MIDI editing features. A pretty meh update, like a .5 release as someone else said by the looks of it.
But maybe these were the features users were asking for?

Straight2Vinyl wrote:Funny, I was just reading about Studio 3 this morning and thinking I should give it a look. Currently using Reaper and Renoise prior to that.

None of the new features really interest me though. I have Komplete, so I have no need for a sampler, drum sampler, or most soundware for that matter. Won't use the chord mode either as I prefer to figure chords out myself(not a great pianist at all, but I've gotten to the point where I don't need chord vsts to program them myself).
I'm more interested in things like new audio and MIDI editing features. A pretty meh update, like a .5 release as someone else said by the looks of it.
Yes, most of the features were the features vited for on the Presonus web site (there is a post/picture of the top requests on the video and Presonus web site); rember, there wasnt much missing from S1 3.5!

Komplete has a good sampler player (Rompler) but it isnt realy a live input sampler (like the new S1 sampler or Cubase samper track) and its good to see this come back.

ARA2 looiks like offering about the best audio editing experince ever available, so S1 4 has that covered, there are alos a bunch of new midi tools (in macros etc) and the new pattern sequencer is very cool.

I think people have the wrong idea about chord mode, it isnt a songwriting theory assistant tool is a harmoinic transposing tool that lets you change the chords from audio tracks (or the key of your entire song)...you can record live guitar Em C F for example, then change the progresion (of the audio) to Em C7 Maj in software!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Kontakt isn't a Rompler.

Sample recording is interesting but if the sampler itself isn't particularly capable then what's the point? All DAWS are samplers already really. btw is this the same sampler in S1 3 that you have to pay to add editing features to? So is there still an additional cost if you want to actually create your own instruments?

SLiC wrote:
Straight2Vinyl wrote:Funny, I was just reading about Studio 3 this morning and thinking I should give it a look. Currently using Reaper and Renoise prior to that.

Yes, most of the features were the features vited for on the Presonus web site (there is a post/picture of the top requests on the video and Presonus web site); rember, there wasnt much missing from S1 3.5!

Komplete has a good sampler player (Rompler) but it isnt realy a live input sampler (like the new S1 sampler or Cubase samper track) and its good to see this come back.

ARA2 looiks like offering about the best audio editing experince ever available, so S1 4 has that covered, there are alos a bunch of new midi tools (in macros etc) and the new pattern sequencer is very cool.

I think people have the wrong idea about chord mode, it isnt a songwriting theory assistant tool is a harmoinic transposing tool that lets you change the chords from audio tracks (or the key of your entire song)...you can record live guitar Em C F for example, then change the progresion (of the audio) to Em C7 Maj in software!
I also have Renoise though, which is essentially a giant live sampler/DAW. Also, it's easy enough to record a part in most DAWS and just export it to be loaded in any sampler. So again, no use for it, though I understand that it's nice to have as they are not common anymore and if someone wants to sample vinyl, their voice etc. it removes one step.

I'll still try out the Demo, but these new features are not for me. Oh well, different strokes for different folks. Studio One still looks worth trying out due to being fairly priced and Presonus makes good products.(I've used a Firebox as my interface for many years now.)

Well I just installed the demo of 4.0 ...but what hell, where is the option to turn off Hi-DPI mode. It use to be in the Options, General Tab but it now isn't.

The GUI is an over bloated mess at 1080P resolutions, I can't work with a daw looking like this.

Is this progress ? Nope... It's not the size of the fonts, it's the type of fonts you are using that's the problem.

What is wrong with you Presonus... ?, your GUI isn't fixed. And I've highlighted this earlier in this thread regarding your choice of font. It's taken you 3 whole years and you still haven't figured it out... oh man!!!
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Tried the demo, and the good news for me is that the GUI is eminently usable on my 4K monitor, after half an hour of color-tweaking. The bad news for me is that, even when it's just ticking over, the CPU performance thermometer is bouncing in and out of the red. When I add Axiom, all I get is massive latency at 256 buffers, and broken sound coming out. I have an older machine running Win 7 with a 4-core Phenom II 920, so this may not be so much of a problem with newer machines. Oddly, when I minimize the S1 window, I get good non-latent sound back, so it's the GUI itself which is pushing it over the edge. Massive disappointment, because I was ready to upgrade from v2 if this version was good.

In Reaper, I get about 20% CPU use and can set latency to 128 with no hiccups whatsoever, for the same setup.

Dunno if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but the v4 rollout is being savaged in the Presonus forum. Almost feels KVR-like in that regard. :P

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=30262
Last edited by GreyLion on Wed May 23, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aMUSEd wrote: btw is this the same sampler in S1 3 that you have to pay to add editing features to? So is there still an additional cost if you want to actually create your own instruments?
Sample One XT is the new upgraded drag and drop Sample One sampler. It actually samples live now.

Presence XT is the included sample player instrument with the core instrument libraries.

The "What's New" page at Presonus has "Virtual Instruments – Presence XT Editor" listed with a few new features, but it's not clear if that editor is now included with the DAW, or just referenceing an upgrade to the paid editor add-on.
https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One/whats-new
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote:
aMUSEd wrote: btw is this the same sampler in S1 3 that you have to pay to add editing features to? So is there still an additional cost if you want to actually create your own instruments?
Sample One XT is the new upgraded drag and drop Sample One sampler. It actually samples live now.

Presence XT is the included sample player instrument with the core instrument libraries.

The "What's New" page at Presonus has "Virtual Instruments – Presence XT Editor" listed with a few new features, but it's not clear if that editor is now included with the DAW, or just referenceing an upgrade to the paid editor add-on.
https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One/whats-new
Yeah but I don't get that, why only enable audio sampling in the cut down mini sampler but not the fully fledged sampler that can actually create sample instruments? (if addon enabled). For that matter why have the 2 of them anyway?

Currently downloading the manual to try and figure out how to disable Hi-DPi.... has it been relegated to a key combination on start up...who knows ? But this is a serious oversight from Presonus development. With HI-DPI disabled, everything from GUI borders,tabs and instruments are properly proportioned, not 25% bigger than they are supposed to be at 1080P. What this means also is that, you lose a considerable amount of usable work area with tracks. Yes the font you use sucks, but at least it doesn't look even bigger and ugly and aliased than it's meant to be and is sharper at smaller scale at 1080P. The very first thing I do when I have installed updates which have always started up with the annoying HI-DPI turned on be default, is turn that frigging off. And given that there are more people using 1080P monitor screens in this world than any other screen, it makes no sense....

Is there a solution...I don't know....yet...Do I need to go into a config file and fix this myself even ?

I just looked through the manual and it looks like it SHOULD be on that General tab, but I have S1 v4 on Win 10, and it does not appear there. So who knows, you might have found a bug.

I should also note that I am not running S1 v4 with Windows scaling so HiDPI mode is not triggered at all. And S1 v4 looks good to me. Although I'm also not running it on a 1080p monitor. But I also don't notice any behavior different than v3 with regard to font/scaling/etc.

macmuse wrote:
SLiC wrote:Just one other bit of feedback that has just occurred to me- I have spent all day (8 hours so far) trying new features, opening old V3 songs ands general throwing stuff at V4 - not a singe crash, not a even a hiccup!
Same here. That and my concern about CPU demands being higher were my fears. Glad to see them being not the case. :tu:
I'm also very impressed for that matter. even plugin which were capable of crashing on scan which is Gvst. Nothing! it scans without no problem as if they implemented some kind of crash protection and I really like what I'm seeing. Love you Presonus. Very very smooth on my ageing computer. I have tried Reason with one Grain I had Your computer bla, bla, bla. I'm on High Sierra with Mac mini 2.3 i7 16gb ram. I'm loving it and living the dream. 16% CPU with Impact,Solina, and sampler cool with me with a few EQ comps and delays from waves.

aMUSEd wrote:Kontakt isn't a Rompler
Ok then, Kontact is a ‘hybrid instrument’ but not a real sampler. To me, if there isn’t a record button, it isn’t a sampler (too many years with hardware samplers!)

I think XT is pretty well equipped as a ‘sampler’, real time stretch, reverse, loops, adsr, filter and very good fx....certainly a lot more than my hardware samplers that cost 1000s....I guess some of us still like the simplicity of something that is ‘just’ a sampler....

I also own and use Falcon, Omnisphere and Kontact, all very powerful multi mode instruments, but there is room for fast and simple in the creative process (and still haven’t fully worked out Falcon or loaded my own samples in Omnisphere 2 :( )
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

ionekvr wrote:I just looked through the manual and it looks like it SHOULD be on that General tab, but I have S1 v4 on Win 10, and it does not appear there. So who knows, you might have found a bug.

I should also note that I am not running S1 v4 with Windows scaling so HiDPI mode is not triggered at all. And S1 v4 looks good to me. Although I'm also not running it on a 1080p monitor. But I also don't notice any behavior different than v3 with regard to font/scaling/etc.
Or they have simply rushed the 4.0 release through the door as they typically do and didn't include the option for it... a complete omission of a feature isn't a bug. Here's a direct comparison between the two interfaces of 3.56 & 4.0.

For me, this one single thing is ultimately critical in whether I use Studio One 4 at all personally... Bigger doesn't mean better...not when it's like this and no way to control at any user preference level.

(Click here for a direct link to the image as seen below)

Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Wed May 23, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”