[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

mholloway wrote:I downloaded the demo to see if this DAW still has the unresolved issue on my Macs that Version 3 always had (to the point of where I finally just sold my license).

Sure enough, the problem still exists, as ever.

- Load a plugin onto a track, anything really.

- Click on the track -- the CPU spikes, flashes red for a second.

- Click on ANY track -- the CPU spikes

- Resize a window -- the CPU spikes

- Resize a window while a track is playing MIDI notes of any kind -- horrible crackling sounds / popping throughout the duration of resizing

- Click a track while anything is playing -- likely to hear a pop or click when the inevitable CPU spike occurs

.... you get the idea. Doing just about ANYTHING results in the CPU spiking momentarily, the meter flashing red, and causing a pop or click. If the thing you do is done while music is playing from the DAW, and is a thing that takes a little time to do, e.g. resizing a window such as the Mixer or the MIDI editing area, you'll get clicks and pops throughout the whole time.

I brought this up on KVR and was told by half the people in the thread that it was "just my system and nobody else" and the other half that "yep, S1 sucks on their Mac as well and indeed has these issues."

I brought it up with Presonus and after a bit of back and forth they gave up and said they didn't know what was going on -- no joke.

So, demo'd 4 out of curiosity and little else -- YEP, EXACT SAME BEHAVIOR.

Bye!

-M
I remember a thread over on the presonus forums a year or so ago similar to this, but here's my theory and I believe this to be related to the hardware. Your mouse sends RF frequencies, this can be picked up by other electrical devices. The graphics card works in combination with the CPU, so there is a possibility the graphics card is picking up these frequencies and affecting it's operation in relation to that of the CPU, resulting in spiking that you encounter within Studio One. I'd suggest switching to a wired mouse and keyboard unless you already have, and perhaps changing USB ports.

I don't want to derail this thread away from Studio One 4.0 and turn it into a technical help thread about your technical issues, so...if you have not completely given up, give those ideas a shot and PM me, to see if there is anything that can be done to resolve it..if you like
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

CTStump wrote:Those that don't wait for a sale or search for a lower price deserve to pay what's being asked, which is fair considering it will be a few years till you have to pay again.

The impatience here by some is not going to get anything changed so be proactive and you will find a cheaper way to get it. If you wait they always have 30-50 percent off sales. Whining is only going to get nothing but more whining.

I have upgraded a few times....never once at full price, I didn't need it right when it was released and for some odd reason(using the logic being put forth by some) I was still able to function without it until I did upgrade.
It has nothing to do with Presonus punishing those who pay price difference on previous version on proffesional version.

Riansky wrote:.... I mean we still have those ugly waveforms..
Yep, the waveforms are still ugly... :ud:

flugel45 wrote:
iosys wrote:....it just doesn't sound reasonable considering I bought Studio One Professional 3 a few months ago, now I need to shell out again to use the latest version?
You bought a DAW that was due to come out with its next version in a few months.

All due respect, you shouldn't have been surprised. Had you asked here before making the purchase we would have told you the risks.

I disagree - with major version upgrades there is usually a grace period of a few months for a free upgrade.

I guess it is Presonus habit of keeping upgrades a complete secret before suddenly dropping the
bomb that makes them shy away from this practice. If it really has just been a couple of months since he purchased V3 (and at full price), it would make sense for him to ask their support what they can do for him.

I assume he is part of a small minority though. As far as I remember there have been plenty of opportunities to purchase it heavily discounted.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Also I see no issue with them to give those with older and/or limited versions and extra incentive to upgrade to the full version by discounting the upgrade for them - i.e. 149usd is the normal upgrade from V3 Pro to V4 Pro is the normal upgrade price, which is really fair enough after three years and the upgrade from lesser or older versions would normally be higher but they discount it - it's not at all that the upgrade price from V3 Pro to V4 Pro is high - what people actually complain about is that it is not a lot higher for those upgrading e.g. from V2 Pro. Human Nature at its best.

iosys wrote:The upgrade price for v3 Professional owners is too high, what a nice way to reward your highest paying customers! :roll:

I am pretty sure you would not at all complain if V3 Pro to V4 Pro was exactly as it is, if (say)
the upgrade price for V3 Producer and V2 Pro was 199 and from V2 Producer 249.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:
flugel45 wrote:
iosys wrote:....it just doesn't sound reasonable considering I bought Studio One Professional 3 a few months ago, now I need to shell out again to use the latest version?
You bought a DAW that was due to come out with its next version in a few months.

All due respect, you shouldn't have been surprised. Had you asked here before making the purchase we would have told you the risks.

I disagree - with major version upgrades there is usually a grace period of a few months for a free upgrade.

I guess it is Presonus habit of keeping upgrades a complete secret before suddenly dropping the
bomb that makes them shy away from this practice. If it really has just been a couple of months since he purchased V3 (and at full price), it would make sense for him to ask their support what they can do for him.

I assume he is part of a small minority though. As far as I remember there have been plenty of opportunities to purchase it heavily discounted.
My V3 Artist license that I got with my Audiobox a few weeks ago got upgraded to v4 for free. I also have V3 Pro and bought the V4 Pro upgrade. I'd email Presonus and maybe ask them for a discount or even a free upgrade. They might not be unreasonable if you explain the situation.

The price seems quite high since it's a one-time payment. You do get 3+ years of free upgrades, and some of those have been pretty significant. For example, the difference between 3.0 and 3.5 is almost bigger than the changes from 2.6.5 to 3.0.

AdvancedFollower wrote:You do get 3+ years of free upgrades, and some of those have been pretty significant. For example, the difference between 3.0 and 3.5 is almost bigger than the changes from 2.6.5 to 3.0.

Yes, exactly.

Yeh, Presonus could call it a version update that includes a 3 year subscription for free updates (and then get flamed like Bitwig for having a subscription model! ;-))
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Nice Pattern Mode video on drums and synths

https://youtu.be/iGtf6_eWav4
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:Yeh, Presonus could call it a version update that includes a 3 year subscription for free updates (and then get flamed like Bitwig for having a subscription model! ;-))
There are no guarantees (implicit or explicit) that we get updates for three years (or more, or less), or the kind and quality of those updates.

Price cannot be defined or dependent on how much time we get between major upgrades, because no one knows that. The software is bought "AS IS", without any further guarantees.
Last edited by fmr on Thu May 24, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

True. But. Whatever. ;) We all have the choice, and that's what counts in the end.

$149 is not cheap and not expensive either. I spend more money in the supermarket every weekend when I do my weekly grocery shopping for myself and my family. I don't know how many employees Presonus have but for their sake I hope they sell many upgrades and new licenses as well, so they also can afford their weekly grocery shopping :D
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Audio software IS expensive. But, that's the way it goes, when it's a small market.

Frankly, i am happy for Presonus. The way i see it, Studio One's popularity is growing and growing, and people consider it more and more a serious alternative. I think it is a great product, and that they well deserve it.

I've owned Logic since version 4, so know it well. Bought S1 at version 1, then when the new Logic came out, went back to that. Thought I was happy, and was thinking of selling S1, but looked at the multitude of songs I did in S1. :o When 3 came out, I bought it during a sale and haven't looked back. As extensive as Logic is, I much prefer S1 as it's just a pleasure to work in, with features that I just don't want to give up. I still use Logic for a few things once in a while (mostly for special MIDI requirements), but I move them to S1 to finish.

I was concerned when v4 came out that it would be CPU intensive and we would have to go through that round again, but happy to see that is not the case. It's just a great DAW, imo.

THE INTRANCER wrote: It's not a bug, it's an intended exclusion.

How do you know?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”