Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
T-RackS Group Buy! Up to 5 free mixing and mastering processors!

T-RackS Group Buy

Easy-to-reach tiers, up to 5 free processors.

Mixing and mastering processors, including Lurssen Mastering Console.

Read more at www.ikmultimedia.com
dayjob
KVRian

1218 posts since 6 Nov, 2006

Postby dayjob; Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:41 pm Re: What's up with Ohm Force?

Jace-BeOS wrote:
dayjob wrote:valhalla plugs have had this design for ages. i love them personally. and of course they sound quite amazing and are ya know. totally affordable.

also, i'd say download the demo and have ago.. see if you aren't converted ;) they look better in use than the screen grabs and are vector based (is that the right word?) resizable guis. you drag from the corner to whatever size. also, gui skin/color scheme changes based on model used in relevant plug ins. plenty of visual feedback. this kind of thing works well for me and especially in reverb processors.

we all have preferences though and ymmv etc etc.

These are fair comments. I acknowledge that sound is what's most important here to many people in this market. I've never been comfortable with the notion that a tool's bad design is excused by the final output, in the hands of those willing to tolerate the bad design. This goes for software and physical objects. I know I'm not the model for all people on this and it would indeed leave me better off if I wasn't so visually oriented. But again, there's plenty of research done by very educated people that gives us a framework of guidelines and rules on how to make things work the best for the most people :-)

and in the end it comes down to the developer's style/choices etc and then that's that.

i have funky and classic skins installed of various ohmforce plugs. my only complaint with them these days is i can't read them so well and wish they were bigger and perhaps 'ironed out' in places. maybe modernized to the developer's tastes or whatever. i'm just glad they're doing well and still have some plans for them at some point. i really love the sound of all the ohmforce stuff and find it all has a unique color to it. great algorithms. the delay just so nice.
heks
KVRist

250 posts since 28 Oct, 2002

Postby heks; Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:12 am Re: What's up with Ohm Force?

ravasb wrote:I have all the Ohm Force plugins and still really like them. I even use them with the funky GUIs, though bigger would be better. The only thing that annoyed me was how much they charge to upgrade to 64 bit from 32 bit plugins. I know there is a cost involved, but I thought it was kind of steep. Korg only charged $10 to upgrade their whole legacy collection.

Totally agree, some small dev's don't charge for writing 64bit versions of their pluggins.
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

4635 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:26 am Re: What's up with Ohm Force?

I don't recall paying Korg for 64-bit versions. I have the Analog Legacy Collection and the Digital Legacy Collection (though the Mono/Poly was not available when I bought the first set way back, so my collection is not complete). When they announced 64-bit support, I was shocked that they hadn't abandoned the collection (now I wish they'd update them with larger graphics). I do recall other developers charging for 64-bit and I don't know that I paid to move up to them since I'm still on Snow Leopard and Logic 9.x anyway. When I hit Logic X, I'm going to lose some stuff and I'm not investing in adapters to keep abandoned software going.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
jvlake
KVRer

1 post since 6 May, 2018

Postby jvlake; Sun May 06, 2018 5:18 pm Re: What's up with Ohm Force?

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.

Posting to the crypt.

One of the developers at ohmforce was Laurent http://ldesoras.free.fr/prod.html (http://ldesoras.free.fr/prod.html) and as you can see he's gone from software to hardware, looks likes he's building his sound bending creations into stompboxes powered by raspberry pi's, and good on him! I can imagine spending 13 years chiseling away at the Ohmstudio DAW sucking the life out of you.

I remember the old ohmboyz site when it was some psychedelic caravan of weirdness, very hard to navigate but highly creative, that would be more like 2003/2004, I don't think the selection of plugins has changed all that much since then (the addition of macos, etc). To be sure, when these plugins came out there was NOTHING like them, but now it's 2018.
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

4635 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Wed May 23, 2018 8:36 pm Re: What's up with Ohm Force?

And they went with nondescript flatness for the GUI, like almost everyone else today. I hate fads.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

7820 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Thu May 24, 2018 1:17 am Re: What's up with Ohm Force?

I think Eltons goning to like the new delay, seems in his price bracket
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Thu May 24, 2018 1:18 am Re: What's up with Ohm Force?

Jace-BeOS wrote:

And they went with nondescript flatness for the GUI, like almost everyone else today. I hate fads.

... but it will be completely reskinned for release
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

10325 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Thu May 24, 2018 1:29 am Re: What's up with Ohm Force?

VariKusBrainZ wrote:I think Eltons goning to like the new delay, seems in his price bracket

Not even close :shrug:
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

10325 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Thu May 24, 2018 1:34 am Re: What's up with Ohm Force?

Jace-BeOS wrote:I hate fads.

Fidget Spinners were a fad. Wearing your jeans so low the people can see the skiddies on your tiny whities...is a fad. Unfortunately, for you, there are enough benefits to designing this way that I think it will stay, long past the point where anyone could call it a fad :shrug:
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Thu May 24, 2018 1:35 am Re: What's up with Ohm Force?

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:I think Eltons goning to like the new delay, seems in his price bracket

Not even close :shrug:

Eur 99 intro price not enough then ?
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Thu May 24, 2018 1:36 am Re: What's up with Ohm Force?

Fidget Spinners were a fad. Wearing your jeans so low the people can see the skiddies on your tiny whities...is a fad. Unfortunately, for you, there are enough benefits to designing this way that I think it will stay, long past the point where anyone could call it a fad :shrug:

Surely something that has lasted since 20 years is no longer a Fad
Robmobius
KVRAF

3141 posts since 9 Sep, 2010, from A shit hole (Ireland).

Postby Robmobius; Thu May 24, 2018 1:53 am Re: What's up with Ohm Force?

Oh wow! Just what I needed another delay unit.... 'cause, I only have a bazillion of 'em.

Another paradigm shift a commin' methinks.
We 'the leaders' bring you the ultimate paradigm shift. Dramatization: No paradigms were actually shifted in the making of this statement. Furthermore, any reference to paradigms is for entertainment purposes only.
fmr
KVRAF

7403 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Thu May 24, 2018 2:33 am Re: What's up with Ohm Force?

VariKusBrainZ wrote:

Surely something that has lasted since 20 years is no longer a Fad

I don't know what you're referring to with "something that has lasted since 20 years", but the flat trend didn't impose itself even today, and there are many developers not following it. The fact that Microsoft and Apple did follow it is not a guarantee that it will prevail, especially when Microsoft is moving back from it (slowly but surely) in each Redstone iteration.
Fernando (FMR)
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects

FEATURED
The beat of a different drummer: An interview with Mattias Eklund from Toontrack
Advertisements