Lets see some studio pics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:They're Behringer 48 point patchbays so 240 inputs definitely sounds like a lot but it soon adds up when using multi timbral devices such as Access Viruses (x2), Nord Lead, Akai S5000, MKS70, Novation Drum Station to name a few. That's 40 just there, not to mention the Mackie 32 mixer which occupies 96 slots as the inserts are fed back in also.
Where's all that stuff in the photo? You've cheated by cleaning up one corner of your studio and pretending you're a neat freak, haven't you?
Ha, yes this is true. The floor is very dirty. I'll post pics of the racks once I have vacuumed :oops:
BONES wrote:Serious questions now - what do you do with all that stuff? I couldn't work with that much gear, I'd be paralysed with so many options and I'd never get anything done. I've had to put my Waldorf Rocket in storage so I'll stop playing with it and do more work. I'm also ruthless at getting rid of things I don't use, like a JP08, JU06, Minilogue and Monologue, just in the last year. I'm also thinking of selling my Waldorf Pulse 2 if I can rescue it from my bandmate's rig. And you don't even have a sequencer?
Interesting question and I completely agree with you. For that reason I think I don't have all that much stuff and only purchase something when required and for a specific purpose. I therefore never have issues in deciding what to use and when.

For example, if I want a bassline I reach for the 101 or 303. Nothing else is even considered. If I want a weird oscillator synced lead I reach for the JP08, pads is the JU06, normal/basic lead is the 101.

In the case of the TB03 where you'd think it's unnecessary and unused even that's not true given I write the sequences on there before transposing to one of the other 3. This is due to the brilliant and flexible sequencer.

The sequencer will eventually be the Engine or Cirklon. For now it's just the internal sequencers.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

That's scarily similar to how I started out - 2x TB303s, an SH-101, an ARP Axxe, a Korg Delta, a DX-9 and a KPR-77 drum machine. If I wanted to do a bassline, I'd use the Axxe, the 101 was for rhythm and fill-in stuff and I played the Delta and DX 9. The 303s were my sequencers, I'd had their memory expanded to 4 times the original. It would never have occurred to me to use those awful sounding things as synths. When I was finished with them, I couldn't sell them, nobody wanted them, so I ended up giving one away and throwing the other one out. They were hateful things. Same with the 101 - couldn't sell it so I gave it away. I'd shoot myself in the face before I'd go back to a set-up like that again.

But what about the Viruses and the Nord and the other stuff? Surely they krap all over those little modules?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:That's scarily similar to how I started out - 2x TB303s, an SH-101, an ARP Axxe, a Korg Delta, a DX-9 and a KPR-77 drum machine. If I wanted to do a bassline, I'd use the Axxe, the 101 was for rhythm and fill-in stuff and I played the Delta and DX 9. The 303s were my sequencers, I'd had their memory expanded to 4 times the original. It would never have occurred to me to use those awful sounding things as synths. When I was finished with them, I couldn't sell them, nobody wanted them, so I ended up giving one away and throwing the other one out. They were hateful things. Same with the 101 - couldn't sell it so I gave it away. I'd shoot myself in the face before I'd go back to a set-up like that again.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Different strokes for different folks ;)
BONES wrote:But what about the Viruses and the Nord and the other stuff? Surely they krap all over those little modules?
Again, each unit has a specific role. If I want an acid sound I have one choice, the 303. If I want a techno kick, that’ll be the 909.
Typically I only make 2 types of music: acid/techno and psytrance. So what you see in this pic is the acid corner. The Viruses and Nord and absolutely exceptional but I don’t really use them for this type of music.
On the other hand if I’m making psy, the acid stuff is less used (apart from the odd 303 and 101) and I reach for the Virus and Nord.

BONES wrote:I'd shoot myself in the face before I'd throw away a set-up like that again.
FTFY ;)

Mushy Mushy wrote:Again, each unit has a specific role. If I want an acid sound I have one choice, the 303. If I want a techno kick, that’ll be the 909.
Typically I only make 2 types of music: acid/techno and psytrance. So what you see in this pic is the acid corner. The Viruses and Nord and absolutely exceptional but I don’t really use them for this type of music.
On the other hand if I’m making psy, the acid stuff is less used (apart from the odd 303 and 101) and I reach for the Virus and Nord.
I know I'm getting getting way off-topic but this, right here, is why I think the whole EDM scene is ridiculous. If I could use just one synth for everything, I'd be the happiest man on Earth but to think that there is only one synth I can use to make a particular style of music is just so completely stupid as to beggar belief. I don't even know that I could tell the difference between a psytrance song or an acid/techno song (although it seems the hideous sound of the worst synth I've ever owned might be a bit of a giveaway). How can you guys not see how absurd it all is?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I feel a lengthy post coming up because you've really rattled my cage now. In fact, I'm gonna need a coffee first to calm down :o :D
BONES wrote:I know I'm getting getting way off-topic but this, right here, is why I think the whole EDM scene is ridiculous
Let's get semantics out of the way first. It is not EDM. Nothing I make, listen to, talk about, dream about, etc etc etc is EDM. EDM is a term coined by Americans for all the rubbish commercial dance music (think Avicii, Afrojack, Tiesto, LCD Soundsystem, the list goes on and on and on and on). Yes, there are many other forms of electronic dance music but they're not EDM. For example, Drum & Bass could hardly be classed in the EDM category despite the best efforts of mainstream media.
BONES wrote:I know I'm getting getting way off-topic but this, right here, is why I think the whole EDM scene is ridiculous. If I could use just one synth for everything, I'd be the happiest man on Earth but to think that there is only one synth I can use to make a particular style of music is just so completely stupid as to beggar belief.
So a bit like a guitar then? That seems to have done extremely well several decades later. Remember the synth can be run through an infinite number of FX - distortion plays a big part in defining the sound. 25 years on and I still constantly hear things from these "same" instruments that blow me away.
BONES wrote:I don't even know that I could tell the difference between a psytrance song or an acid/techno song (although it seems the hideous sound of the worst synth I've ever owned might be a bit of a giveaway).
This is excellent that you feel this way and the following comment definitely isn't personal but I don't want you to like it. I started listening to these genre's in the early/mid 90's when only a very small number of people were into them and now they're f*cking everywhere. Part of the appeal is because they're not commercial and nobody within a 20 mile square radius will ever have heard of them. If I was intentionally listening to songs about cheerleaders, umbrellas, b!tches, gats and uzis, I would have shot myself a long time ago. Acid (or at least the hard London variant I like) doesn't pretend to be accessible, the attitude is "if you don't like it then get the fk out". Basically it reminds me of my favourite saying "if I had to explain you would't understand". You either get it or you don't. That's not to say either of us are superior, we just like different things which is what the world is about.
BONES wrote:How can you guys not see how absurd it all is?
Nope, 25 years of listening to it later and my love continues to grow. I'll go to my grave listening to a acid, psy, death metal mashup.

LCD Soundsystem are NOT edm

Saw them last year at Ally Pally. Excellent gig. If it was edm, i would have not gone :wink:

AnX wrote:LCD Soundsystem are NOT edm

Saw them last year at Ally Pally. Excellent gig. If it was edm, i would have not gone :wink:
I stand corrected. I’m not complete au fait with them so I blame Google.

No probs. Keep up the good tunes 8)

Mushy Mushy wrote:The MIDI clock corner. The SBX1 drives it all 8)

I really like this. Especially because you don't see the cables. :)

AnX wrote:No probs. Keep up the good tunes 8)
Thanks man :tu:

chk071 wrote: I really like this. Especially because you don't see the cables. :)
Thanks dude, I like it too :)

really nice space and toys Mushy !
it would be so fun to come over and play with them one day . . .

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Mister Natural wrote:really nice space and toys Mushy !
it would be so fun to come over and play with them one day . . .

peace
Thanks, man. I'd love to have you over but sadly Michigan is a bit far away :D

chk071 wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:The MIDI clock corner. The SBX1 drives it all 8)

I really like this. Especially because you don't see the cables. :)
Agreed. What type of furniture/equipment is being used to create that stacked synth-stand setup?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”