[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

fmr wrote:
Price cannot be defined or dependent on how much time we get between major upgrades, because no one knows that. The software is bought "AS IS", without any further guarantees.

Nonsense!

Of course they can be defined on how long it takes until the next payment for an update is due and what kind of free updates are released within that timeframe. That's what they obviously do and that is also what I do as a customer in order to estimate the value of the upgrade

They also clearly said something along those lines in the V4 livestream.

Perhaps you personally do not like that, but to say it is not possible to evaluate the price&value like that is clearly bollocks.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Lol who expect support from presonus ?...
I remember v3 was a nightmare , an when i ask support they said my configuration was the source of my problem !
I have an Imac from apple factory not extra hardware or cracked stuff installed ...they said we were a few to have this problem and they will not fix it...so i sell my copy...and back to cubase...since this move i can make music !

jens wrote:
fmr wrote:
Price cannot be defined or dependent on how much time we get between major upgrades, because no one knows that. The software is bought "AS IS", without any further guarantees.
Nonsense!

Of course they can be defined on how long it takes until the next payment for an update is due and what kind of free updates are released within that timeframe.
Nonsense is your statement (and misinforming).

But since you are so well informed, how long will it take until I have to pay for a new version? And what kind of free updates may I expect in between?

I am not talking about what I HAD in the past, I am asking about what I WILL HAVE after paying for this upgrade.

Like it happens with ANY software, and is usually clearly stated in the EULA, the software is sold AS IS, without any guarantees whatsoever. So, when you buy, the vendor isn't liable if it simply doesn't release ANY update AT ALL, because it simply DOESN'T HAVE TO. You buy the software in its current state, and that's pretty much end of story. You may have great expectations, but there are no guarantees they will be fulfilled.
Fernando (FMR)

I just watched Joe Gilders Video as shown, the Hi DPI doesn't exist either, but with not being a Mac user and that recent Mac OS programs I assume recognise Hi DPI in any case and therefor probably doesn't apply. (I can't remember see the option available in previous videos for Studio One on the a Mac before 4.0)

It looks like they didn't bother to have the check box for the PC version and I did try and configure the options for DPI vie the properties of the Studio One 4.0.exe, (only accessible whilst Studio One 3.0 / 4.0 is actually running) but that had no effect in preventing Studio One from not running in Hi DPI mode....

Other than these problems, there are bigger issues for those that have paid for Studio One 4.0, there is a shambles going on relating to their licensed Studio One products still... I didn't expect this car crash of a release from you Presonus...
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Yeah. You maybe can go by statistics, but, it's not like with Steinberg releasing every year at almost the same date a new paid version of Cubase.

fmr wrote:
jens wrote:
fmr wrote:
Nonsense!

Of course they can be defined on how long it takes until the next payment for an update is due and what kind of free updates are released within that timeframe.

But since you are so well informed, how long will it take until I have to pay for a new version? And what kind of free updates may I expect in between?

I am not talking about what I HAD in the past, I am asking about what I WILL HAVE after paying for this upgrade.

Like it happens with ANY software, and is usually clearly stated in the EULA, the software is sold AS IS, without any guarantees whatsoever. So, when you buy, the vendor isn't liable if it simply doesn't release ANY update AT ALL, because it simply DOESN'T HAVE TO. You buy the software in its current state, and that's pretty much end of story. You may have great expectations, but there are no guarantees they will be fulfilled.

It's obvious that you completely missed my point.

I will try my best to make it easier for you to understand:

it does not matter that there is no guarantee. What matters is what we consider likely.

If you buy a new car that comes with a three year warranty, there is no guarantee that it does or does not break apart one day after the these three years have passed. And if there is a brand of cars that is know for manufacturing cars that break after three years and one day, that will influence what you are willing to pay for that brand. If there is a brand that is known for selling cars that work flawlessly for thirty years, that reputation will influence what you are willing to pay for a car of that brand too.
Still there is no guarantee that if you purchase a car of that second brand will not break apart three years and one day after you purchased it brand-new. It is just no very likely.
If you purchase a new keyboard or guitar today, there is not guarantee that you won't loose both hands in a freak-accident tomorrow. Is that going to stop you from purchasing it?

There is no guarantee for anything in life. Ever.

For that reason, our decisions are much more based on our experiences, expectations and (conscious or subconscious) considerations regarding certain probabilties.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:
I disagree - with major version upgrades there is usually a grace period of a few months for a free upgrade.

I guess it is Presonus habit of keeping upgrades a complete secret before suddenly dropping the
bomb that makes them shy away from this practice. If it really has just been a couple of months since he purchased V3 (and at full price), it would make sense for him to ask their support what they can do for him.

I assume he is part of a small minority though. As far as I remember there have been plenty of opportunities to purchase it heavily discounted.
Maybe I just expressed myself poorly. Based on what you wrote, we agree on everything.

I didn't mention the grace period because whether it exists or not, it still falls on the buyer to be aware of when the new version comes out (roughly).

Bottom line, no one should buy a DAW three years without an upgrade, and then complain when the upgrade happens 4 months later. Again, a simple question here before making the purchase and he would have been told of the risks.

jens wrote:
fmr wrote:
jens wrote:
fmr wrote:
Nonsense!

It's obvious that you completely missed my point.

I will try my best to make it easier for you to understand:

.../...

There is no guarantee for anything in life. Ever.

For that reason, our decisions are much more based on our experiences, expectations and (conscious or subconscious) considerations regarding certain probabilties.
So, it's a matter of expectations, and of subjectively valueing what we got in the past, and expecting that Presonus will keep adding more or less the same value in the future. That said, and since it is a very subjective evaluation, you can't simply say that it is good value OBJECTIVELY.

OBJECTIVELY (and this cannot take into account any kind of subjective evaluations, which may vary among subjects) the price asked for the upgrade is high, when compared with other DAWs Studio One competes with. And since this isn't a subscription, the argument that it is like $50 per years is nonsense, since they don't have to add any kind of value during the life of this version, keeping the updates strictly to maintenance.

Given their past practice, you may say it's unlikey they do that, but that will remain always in the field of personal expectations, as will also remain the perceived value of the added features (what is precious to some may be negligible to others).

OBJECTIVELY, and IMO, the price is high, and I will wait for some sales offer.
Last edited by fmr on Thu May 24, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

jens wrote:
THE INTRANCER wrote: It's not a bug, it's an intended exclusion.

How do you know?
jpettit ( who isn't a developer, but a forum mod on the presonus forums just stated)

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.p ... 99#p173099
jpettit wrote
It is not a bug. It is by design.

Why would you want it off?
Post by anthonydefusco

For the reasons described in the Studio One 4 user manual, I would think... for lower screen resolutions under 4K where a higher DPI setting would lead to a re-scaling which would greatly reduce the available screen real estate:

If you're using a display with a standard resolution (such as 1920 x 1080 pixels), you can disable High DPI Mode.
These mods, aren't as smart.. as some think lol... oh well.. hopefully it's raised as a legitimate problem and gets rectified.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Thu May 24, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

fmr wrote:
OBJECTIVELY (and this cannot take into account any kind of subjective evaluations, which may vary among subjects) the price asked for the upgrade is high, when compared with other DAWs Studio One competes with.
Care to show us some numbers? Hard facts, you know, while we are talking about "objectivity"?

B.t.w.: you are clearly wrong anyway. Going by your argument, it does not matter at all whether they charge every month or every three years for an upgrade, just as long as they do not charge 150 bucks for it. So according to your logic, a monthly upgrade fee of 20$ would be preferable over the current one for Studio One.

THE INTRANCER wrote:
jens wrote:
THE INTRANCER wrote: It's not a bug, it's an intended exclusion.

How do you know?
jpettit ( who isn't a developer, but a forum mod on the presonus forums just stated)

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.p ... 99#p173099
jpettit wrote
It is not a bug. It is by design.

Why would you want it off?
Post by anthonydefusco

For the reasons described in the Studio One 4 user manual, I would think... for lower screen resolutions under 4K where a higher DPI setting would lead to a re-scaling which would greatly reduce the available screen real estate:

If you're using a display with a standard resolution (such as 1920 x 1080 pixels), you can disable High DPI Mode.
These mods, arn't as smart.. as some think lol... oh well.. hopefully it's raised as a legitimate problem and gets rectified.
From what I can tell they hav e removed the swich as it is now autoatic (it detects your resolution).

I think howevcer that this is a mistake as on a MS surface (for example) some plug ins show up as abouit an inch square! They need scaling!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It's about time someone said what a great upgrade it is :)

You get what you pay for, and quality is almost never cheap.

I'll have to see if there's a way to port some of my excellent Avenger drum content into impact XT now.

And I definitely love the Chord gadget.

Modulating a chord sequence towards the end of a song seems a great of way making it go out with a bang

- with no guesswork tedium of midi fiddling across multiple tracks.

The Pattern gadget sounds a really handy way of getting more out of a riff I really love, and want to exploit

- without being "over-random" like so many riff-obliterating randomiser gadgets are.

I still find S1 the fastest sequencer I've ever worked with, and can get much more sophisticated stuff done because of I can try out alternatives & ideas super quick.

:tu:
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

kevvvvv wrote:It's about time someone said what a great upgrade it is :)

I'll have to see if there's a way to port some of my excellent Avenger drum content into impact XT now.

Modulating a chord sequence towards the end of a song seems a great of way making it go out with a bang

The Pattern gadget sounds a really handy way of getting more out of a riff I really love, and want to exploit

- without being "over-random" like so many riff-obliterating randomiser gadgets are.

I still find S1 the fastest sequencer I've ever worked with, and can get much more sophisticated stuff done because of I can try out alternatives & ideas super quick.

+1 :tu:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

kevvvvv wrote:It's about time someone said what a great upgrade it is :)

Yup, you will find a lot of people posted how much they like the update, but just once!
A few people who don't like the update/cost/S1 seems to post dozens of times, as is normal!

It will all settle down, few tweaks a 4.1 and everyone will be happy :phones:

PS- That pattern sequencer is freakin ' awesome once you right click and add some variation mixing up the 16th with the 32s and ratcheting a bit....great results with no effort :tu:

PS- If you use Notation there is a free update with tighter S14 integration viewtopic.php?f=7&t=505319
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: From what I can tell they have removed the switch as it is now automatic (it detects your resolution). I think however that this is a mistake as on a MS surface (for example) some plugins show up as about an inch square!, they need scaling!
An inch square, crikey... people will be using a traditional glass magnifying glass to see anything lol.

They rushed out a Studio One version that wasn't ready to come out of beta, to meet a release date I think.

1 year and 9 months between 2.6 & 3.0.

2 years approx between 3.0 and 3.5

1 year approx between 3.5 and 4.0

Personally, I would of been have been happy if they gave it another year of development, to release a more comprehensive product from the outset.

I'd be interested to hear what those at the beginning of this thread that listed all the things they wanted from 4.0, to give some feedback about what has been delivered in this update.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”