Biotek 2 Available Now

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BioTek 2

A lot of people are getting crashes. Have you downloaded the content - it's hidden away on the archives page? I only noticed it because Biotek 1 flagged up the download being available. That seems to have fixed the demo, on Mac at least. But it was the same kind of terminal crash.

Thanks for the info Gamma-UT.

I'm downloading the content now.
Why the hell do they bury the content on a different page if Biotek 2 won't run without it - **ckwits.

Anyway, I'll report back on how I get on.

Once again, thanks Gamma-UT :)

Downloading the 'buried' content and installing that has worked. Biotek 2 now up and running.

Note to Tracktion:
Either have the Content download on the same level as the actual Biotek 2 download or write a friggin' note next to the download button for Biotek 2 to help potential buyers/users actually be able trial the damn thing... :x

The bizarre thing is the default preset in the demo doesn't need any of the content - it uses built-in waveforms.

So I'm guessing they intended it to be demoable without the content but left some database update code in place that fires up during initialisation that wigs out if it doesn't find a sample it was expecting to find.

wagtunes wrote:Just got the email. This is what I've been waiting for.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/biotek

Finally, something new that's going to be really great.
How’s Biotek 2 Wagtunes?
I’m interested in upgrading but can’t find any audio or video demos of Biotek 2, even the webpage for it shows the old Biotek.

Is it as good as what you hoped?

simmo75 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Just got the email. This is what I've been waiting for.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/biotek

Finally, something new that's going to be really great.
How’s Biotek 2 Wagtunes?
I’m interested in upgrading but can’t find any audio or video demos of Biotek 2, even the webpage for it shows the old Biotek.

Is it as good as what you hoped?
I've been so busy working on a music project with someone from Gearslutz that I haven't downloaded it yet. I'm hoping to get to it by the beginning of June.

I wonder how much this resembles the Waldorf synths. After all, it's from Wolfram Franke. But... i'm too lazy to demo it to find out. Opinions? :D

chk071 wrote:I wonder how much this resembles the Waldorf synths. After all, it's from Wolfram Franke. But... i'm too lazy to demo it to find out. Opinions? :D
All I can say is this. I demo'd Biotek 1. And if 2 is simply just enhancements, 1 is already awesome. The modulation matrix is like no other synth I have ever seen. That's where all the power is. Pretty much anything can be modulated in countless ways. It was like programming a space ship.

Now, for people who like simplicity, this may not be their cup of tea. In fact, I'm sure it's going to be too over the top for a lot of people. But if you like having that kind of power, short of an open ended modular synth, there is nothing like this.

The only reason I didn't buy Biotek 1 was because I was told 2 was just around the corner so I waited.

Bottom Line: There is nothing like this synth. It has a massive learning curve that might put people off. It is logically laid out with tons of screens. In terms of flexibility, it makes Arturia's Modular V look like a toy. My suggestion is to simply download the demo and see for yourself. But be prepared to spend a lot of time with it just to wrap your head around it.

PS - There was one thing about Biotek 1 that I was disappointed with. You could not control the Ring (or whatever it was called) with MIDI. I thought that was a GROSS oversight and one I hope they changed in version 2. When you see it you'll know what I'm talking about.

I didn't know about this one until a couple days ago. Besides the new Granular functionality, I saw this on their website which sparked even more interest:

"...and you can have unlimited sound layers per patch"

Examigan wrote:I didn't know about this one until a couple days ago. Besides the new Granular functionality, I saw this on their website which sparked even more interest:

Well, unlimited up to the point where your CPU starts to gasp for air.

I personally love the sound of this synth so i'll definitely be upgrading.the audiorate stuff actually sounds good and it has the most interesting implementation (in terms of sound) of FM(PM)of any VSTI i've heard to date(kind of chunky with good articulation of attack).the presets are wank and the audio demo's don't really do it justice,but when is that never not the case though with promotional material for VST/VSTI's....could do without the Richard Devine presets as well.i pretty much always delete them out of the preset libraries anyway :D so no harm done
I

wagtunes wrote:
Examigan wrote:I didn't know about this one until a couple days ago. Besides the new Granular functionality, I saw this on their website which sparked even more interest:

Well, unlimited up to the point where your CPU starts to gasp for air.
:hihi:

Yeah, I just like being able to use "some" layers, but not enough for a meltdown.

wagtunes wrote: the Ring (or whatever it was called)

You mean that big round back and white animation? What does it do then?

I'm listening to various audio demos at youtube atm, the synth seems to be really good at various SFXes, drones and disturbing soundscapes. Samara Morgan likes it! :tu:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:

I'm listening to various audio demos at youtube atm, the synth seems to be really good at various SFXes, drones and disturbing soundscapes. Samara Morgan likes it! :tu:
Hey man, are you sure you’re listening to Biotek 2 Audio demos?
Would you mind posting a link?
I can only find Biotek 1 demos.

recursive one wrote:

It's a morpher. But there are only two ways it seems to control it and neither is through MIDI. So say I want to use CC 74 to have it morph on the Y axis and CC 75 to have it morph on the X axis. I can't. It's similar to Harmor. I'm not sure Harmor can do this either. I did write to the dev about Biotek and he did specifically tell me that what I wanted to do is not possible. I think you can morph it via things like LFOs, envelopes, etc. It's been a while so I don't remember specifically. I would have to dive back into it again.

Return to “Instruments”