How can I replace a key on a midi keyboard myself - Alesis v49 ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A "B" key stopped working. I play everyday for a few hours and the keyboard has held up for over a year, pretty good. I'm attached to it a bit, don't want to by another one just yet. For now, I'm playing any practice pieces that have flat key signatures :D but don't want to jump and skip too many pieces in the book.

Where can I buy repair parts for a midi keyboard, in particular for Alesis v49, and how do I install it myself?

Did my due dilligence, searching, browsing alesis site, manual, youtube, kvr search, and nothing concretete.

Is the only place to get a replacement part directly from alesis?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote:A "B" key stopped working. I play everyday for a few hours and the keyboard has held up for over a year
If you had it just over a year, you still have warranty?

It might have been longer, I don't think it is under warranty still, closer to a year and a half a think. I'll try calling them tomorrow I guess.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

In Germany, there's 2 years warranty. Should be similar in your country. If it is, i'd just contact Alesis' support, and send it in. Usually, they're pretty accomodating when it comes to stuff like that.

Thanks! Would they cover shipping?

TTU Youtube

I have repaired many bad keys on keyboards. On many the contacts can simply be cleaned. the only way to know is to take the keybaord apart and see. if you are not able to do it yourself find someone who can. If the contact can't be cleaned you can contact alesis support and see if you can buy a replacement contact set.
How do you clean the contact? it depends on the type of contact. metal contacts can be cleaned with a pencil eraser. newer contacts sometimes with just a clean cloth. I fixed a keyboard for a friend of mine who had cats and there was cat hair blocking the contacts.

Thanks. I will probably give that a try if I can find a decent youtube video showing how to do it.

Alesis says they don't ship single keys, rather, I'd need to replace the entire keybed from a website they gave a link to.

1. The part is 20$ plus shipping is around 27$.
2. The part is refurbished
3. No refunds on the parts!

A new Midi keyboard is 129$. It'd be a bit of a gamble. I might buy a new one, though they are checking my serial to see if I'm still under warranty.

TTU Youtube

Called them in RI. Warranty is 1 year though I need to check this info directly with the merch I bought it from. Alas, sending it two ways to get repaired isn't economically sound considering I can get it a new one for twice the price. Looks like I'm in the market for a new midi keyboard :neutral:

TTU Youtube

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”