Reason 10.1 free update ...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

Crossinger wrote:
I really don't know. On the one hand, I'm not willing to switch, too many things I like about Reason. On the other hand I'd like to invest into a future-proof system which plays well with the current state of the art computers.
I believe many have this feeling. I'm one of them! I even don't know which monitor I should buy (that if I need a monitor at all!).
What I have now is a mess! Not only inside Reason but also in VST world! New nice BIG synth, then tiny fonts I need to wear the glasses and come near the monitor to read them (Korg!). The same with Thor, which sounds different from Europa or other wavetable/hybrid synths!

Yes, the new synths (especially Europa) are fantastic. I can see them on my 1080p 27" fine but I don't think I can see them let's say on a 32" 4k monitor! That makes me cancel buying a new monitor really!

Anyway, I won't abandon Reason this time! With the new 4k monitors replacing the 1080p, Propellehead is obliged to find a solution for their GUI if they want to stay in the game ;)

They dont care. There are millions of things request over the years. Some real workflow speeders, probably few lines of code and they don't add them.. Mattias always says "noted" or doesnt even answer. They simply dont care. All they do, is they try to milking your money.

Reason 11 - Parsec turns free synth with Reason along with five 10 years old samples / romples and some 5 years old RE effects which wont sell anymore. Ya, and then people gonna spend 129€ to "new Reason 11". Reason 11 - even bigger Reason update ever! :lol:

What Reason really needs, is:

- Midi chase
- Automatically returning playing cursor
- Bypass to VST wrapper
- Shortcut to open VSTi
- Instead of showing automation and values like 6000 or 74859595, I would really like to see it show actual value, like 400hz.
- If you try to set your mixer track -1db, you cant. It is like - 0.96 or -1.3.. you cant type the values.. no peaking values on individually mixer channels.
- play beat on playlist, play loop on browser, they dont sync at all
- The GUI. Tiny knobs and stuff. I tried to do time warping on one loop and couldnt zoom in enough to determined the right position. All the boxes in sequencer are so tiny and blurred.
- plus many other things

I dont know what they do. Lets say that playing cursor thing. So many people have request it over the years. All I can see is Mattias saying "noted", but nothing happens. I am not a coder but I think doing this would take only few lines of code and yet it would make so many people happy but no. And they dont add it. :dog:

Lack of midi chase is another thing. Try to do risers or long pads and do some automation and try to hear the changes. Use so much unnecesarry time just to wait you to get the point what you are automating, because you always need to play the clip / note from the beggining so Reason understand to play it :dog:

Often I do small changes on eq or compressor and I want to do quick bypass to hear the differences. They bypass button is of course on rack and spend time again to find it... would be so handy it to be on wrapper window instead :dog:

This remains me similar situation what FL had. People wanted proper PDC and other cool stuff Gol always told it not possible and he wont do that or that. Then Gol left guess what, now FL has almost proper PDC. Deleted features are back and all the other nice stuff has added. FL now listend users and FR all the time with super pace. Users are happy, everyone is happy.

Reason goes too only where Mattias want it to go. Sometimes I wonder does he use Reason itself, as it still missing these important features. Time consuming shiiet.. Maybe Mattias should leave too and Prop's would start to listen their customers more.

Just thinking loud here.. :phones:

keel wrote: Reason goes too only where Mattias want it to go. Sometimes I wonder does he use Reason itself, as it still missing these important features. Time consuming shiiet.. Maybe Mattias should leave too and Prop's would start to listen their customers more.
Valid points in your list - any many of them are on my wishlist, either.

But I don't get your rant against Mattias. How long is he now product manager? One year? That's not really a long time, especially when doing sound product planning with a forecast of 1.5-2 years.

Company culture cannot be changed overnight. And if you try to do so, the company might break. I have already witnessed this in my professional career. No fun!

Whenever i read about companies not listening to their customers, i wonder what people think made them sell their products, and got themselves successful. ;) Of course, they have their finger on the pulse of the time, otherwise their product would hardly be successful. If "listening to their customers" should mean that they read every wish from their user's lips, or implement any quick idea someone has, surely not. A developer should have a clear vision of his software. Look at u-he. They implement maybe 3 or 4 % of the stuff proposed on these forums, at best. If there's an idea Urs doesn't like, it won't be implemented. And that's how it should be, if you don't want to end up with a potpourri of software, which kinda does everything, but nothing really good.

EnGee wrote:
Crossinger wrote:
I really don't know. On the one hand, I'm not willing to switch, too many things I like about Reason. On the other hand I'd like to invest into a future-proof system which plays well with the current state of the art computers.
I believe many have this feeling. I'm one of them! I even don't know which monitor I should buy (that if I need a monitor at all!).
What I have now is a mess! Not only inside Reason but also in VST world! New nice BIG synth, then tiny fonts I need to wear the glasses and come near the monitor to read them (Korg!). The same with Thor, which sounds different from Europa or other wavetable/hybrid synths!

Yes, the new synths (especially Europa) are fantastic. I can see them on my 1080p 27" fine but I don't think I can see them let's say on a 32" 4k monitor! That makes me cancel buying a new monitor really!

Anyway, I won't abandon Reason this time! With the new 4k monitors replacing the 1080p, Propellehead is obliged to find a solution for their GUI if they want to stay in the game ;)
This is me in a nutshell. I love Reason and I make really good music on it. The opening to VSTs into the platform really made me throw Reason a life preserver. Because I was this close to moving to FL. I reluctantly upgraded to version 10 because I made really good tracks with the 30 day demo and couldn't afford losing them. Propellerhead has 1 last chance to keep me as a paying customer with 10.5 or however they are choosing to do these upgrades.

I will NOT pay for a GUI upgrade in version 11. It better be in version 10.5 or something. Same with the Piano Roll. I need these through the life cycle of version 10 or I'm done. I can get free lifetime upgrades with FL and that's hard to beat. I'm not going to keep shelling out $129 for a product that's lagging behind in major attributes like GUI and Piano Roll.

Reason just feels like a bad relationship that I don't know how to get away from and almost no one understands but me.

I recently bought Reason 10. New user. I used Cubase, Reaper and FL Studio before this.
I am thrilled with Reason 10.
FL Studio is certainly nice, I learned quite some things from using it, but overall I do not click with it.
Cubase I left after the growing update prices.
Reaper was nice for 6 years but I produce better tracks with Reason and have more fun, mainly because it provides so much great tools and instruments and the workflow fits me.
I know that for mixing Reason has some drawbacks and I certainly expect to find some more when I use it some longer.
But what a great DAW this is (to me).
I started out with an Atari synced to a Roland VS880,
O no, I started out with a Fostex 4track cassette recorder.

Same here, I used Cubase, Reaper, Bitwig and Ableton Live before. And now I am back to Reason and it is so much fun to make music with it. My screen resolutions are 1366*768 for Laptop and 1980x1080 for my Desktop and that's perfekt for Reason. But I am 100% sure that propellerhead will work on a GUI improvement for the new 4k Displays in one of the next Updates. In my case I will never buy an 4k Display. A better option would be an extra wide displays with 3000x1080 so that there is no need to use two fullHD side by side. In this case there is also no need to zoom reasons GUI.

I absolute love reason. I’ve been there since V1 and remember pouring over the developer plans on their site as it was being built. These days I use logic and reason but use logic more because I can see what I’m doing, it doesn’t make my 2017 MacBook Pro pop and crackle and the sequencer is much much easier to use and get around. It’s like the they have themselves in a rut and need a full on interface rethink. The amount of dead space is awful and the inconsistencies and extra windows and a nightmare. Compare quantising in reason to logic or even live gives you and idea what I mean. Yet I love the and absolutely lurve the devices.
- Logic Pro -

I used Reason extensively back in 2002 when it was version 1. Just bought 9.5 there, it's amazing that after 18 YEARS the devices included in version one haven't changed at all. :hihi:

edit: 17 years since Reason 1.0 was released actually.
Last edited by lotus2035 on Fri May 25, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

lotus2035 wrote:I used Reason extensively back in 2002 when it was version 1. Just bought 9.5 there, it's amazing that after 18 YEARS the devices included in version one haven't changed at all. :hihi:
I also think that's amazing...

:scared: :roll:

edit: that was directed at PH, not you. Realized it was ambiguous when I hit submit.

I don't think I will use Subtractor and Malstrom at all! I even might forget about Thor as well! The sound is not on par with some other synths like Antidote or the new ones like Europa and Grain. The old synths didn't age well IMO (don't make me start talking about the tiny GUI!) :(

ReDrum is still good for a drum machine like beats. Kong is very good still as well for various kinds. I didn't check the samplers though, but I guess I won't use them much.

I don't know about the old first effects, but I found RV7000 a very good reverb and I like a lot those wonderful effects: Echo, Alligator, Synchronous, Scream and Pulveriser. Those are essential in sound design with all the patching mania! Otherwise, no reason to buy Reason ;)

The old RPG8 and Matrix are still powerful tools although the new players (in the shop as well) are very inspirational ones :love:

I'm getting used to the workflow now. I divide the screen into two parts (left and right) and I put the sequencer/Mixer on the left while I put the racks (one line like the old style) on the right. I like the keyboard shortcuts a lot and the integration with Nektar P4 is great. With all that combination of controls, for me it is the fastest workflow I can do more than in any other host (although I'm not an advanced user in Reason!).

EnGee wrote:The old synths didn't age well IMO
I agree. Never got what people love about Thor so much, for example. Sylenth1 from 2007 already blew them all out of the water, IMO. Not to speak about more recent synths.

I also agree that RV7000 is quite a good reverb, i was really pleasantly surprised about its sound. THAT's one effect which might not have to be replaced with third party stuff. :)

chk071 wrote: I also agree that RV7000 is quite a good reverb, i was really pleasantly surprised about its sound. THAT's one effect which might not have to be replaced with third party stuff. :)
I was hunting for a reverb (not iLok or Waves). I believe Reverb is the most important effect for music making (at least for me!) and it is surprisingly very difficult to find a really nice one that doesn't cost a lot!!

I like a lot the Valhalla reverbs demos (all of them!). I like especially the Shimmer kind. I might still buy them as VST plugs, but for Reason racks, I think RV7000 is enough. I wish that Valhalla DSP would port his reverbs to the RE though and sell them as a bundle (should also make a bundle price in VST!).

I think that Europa and Grain are definitely meant as a replacement for subtractor , malstrom and thor; but even since they have been included, I still find myself using the old devices. even NN-19 gets a workout if I'm trying to build a quick sampled instrument. It has been a while since I used any of the half rack devices tho.

Robert Randolph wrote: I also think that's amazing...

:scared: :roll:

edit: that was directed at PH, not you. Realized it was ambiguous when I hit submit.
I realize that. :hihi:
I also realized my post makes it look like I am saying that 2002 was 18 years ago. :lol: I assumed that reason was released in 2000, but it was actually 2001 (checked on wikipedia) so 17 years then.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”