Zappa - what a tight music arranger

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote::)

donno why a big deal but the horizon is a bit different over there, isn't it.
Yeah, the horizon, but in the street level, as well.
Its one of the few carnival days in Scandinavia. Funny combination of
working class day, academic celebration, welcoming party of the Summer, and general boozing & banging day.

Huh. We have various things, excuses for debauchery. Cinco de Mayo coming up.

:D

jancivil wrote:FZ approached Trout Mask as a kind of field recording. Apparently he felt there was something authentic he didn't want to bleach out of it. Vliet felt he was being cheaped-out by not going into a studio and doing all that. But we can see how some of that worked out, perhaps vindicating FZ's attitude and wisdom.

Frank bailed the guys out of jail who were caught stealing at the Safeway, story goes he did it quietly and without judgment. Sounds like my father.
Wise choice.

+1 !

Super great drums!

I tune out during Bobby Brown, not that it isn't a good tune, but it's one of the stupid songs I'm not captivated by. It made Sheik Yerbouti a giant smash in... somewhere, Germany in gay bars or something so it kind of funded the LSO project so I'm not complaining. He also said it was the cover that sold it. He expected the silly business was what most of the audience buying tickets wanted.

But, as to your comment Wackerman was his choice in 1981 because he liked improvising with him. According to Wackerman, who assessed himself as having done okay with the complicated reading and so forth but there were other drummers who could do.

This is a good re-EQing to say the least, you can hear everything and it's so crisp. This particular concert is outstanding. The Dragonmaster shit made Frank happy and his solos tended to be the best when he was laughing a lot. He wrote a REALLY stupid heavy metal lyric, Dragonmaster which he gave to Dweezil to write the music for.
A great parody of the style which DZ was better suited to do and he knew it.

Crisp it is, rarely concert recordings are that delegate, with all details in, e.g. the drums sound really like in the studio booth. High-end equipment, plenty of soundcheks - and Frank yelling orders to the engineers...

CrAZY stuff. For some reason Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen) comes to my mind...

I'd forgotten there was that improvisation at the beginning of Drummers of FZ.
Stunning. Nothing short of stunning. Where is the rest of that performance.

I love what Bozzio says of Wackerman. Particularly in the 81-82 group, his sensitivity to what FZ was doing in the guitar solos is something rare and wondrous. I remember that guy, lead guitarist of Phish (not good with names), was asked in an interview by Charlie Rose what he found special in live rock, and he mentioned that, Frank would look at Wackerman and they'd be in ESP-land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf4bjByMcvE

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”