Why are DAW version updates so upsetting?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think it’s partly because people
Just expect everything delivered instantly and for minimal outlay these days and also because the grass often seems greener. If this DAW has feature x why can’t mine. I think people also seriously underestimate the challenges in developing complex software like this.
- Logic Pro -

:tu:

Where is your reputable source for this claim that DAW version updates are upsetting?

"Why are DAW version updates so upsetting?"

It is because people compare what is missing on the latest update of a SINGLE DAW with the best current and promised features of ALL OTHER EXISTING DAWs.

There is one that did upset me, or piss me off quite a bit. Cubase 9.02 after the Replace Audio in Video was kilt.
It's a LOT OF time working around it, I have to re-render the damned video (that I make in FCPX which does_not handle PCM) and I had to get hold of something which does it, which took some time to find. I'll work around the slightly annoying bugs and I haven't had any show-stoppers that weren't fixed pretty much right away. Steiny always abandons some bugs and moves on, you get used to it. :shrug:

sjm wrote:Where is your reputable source for this claim that DAW version updates are upsetting?
:hihi:

If DAW version updates don't upset you, then why would you even respond?

I see the superior Intellects having to rule every thread preaching the virtues of their almighty DAW. :dog:

v1o wrote:Today we've had yet another DAW update and its not looking too good. In the past 12 months (with the exception of Logic Studio Pro X) we've had new version updates of all major DAWs including: Reason, Acid, Ableton, Fruity Loops, Studio One, Cubase, Pro Tools, Tracktion and Mixbuss.
Yes, yes ...
v1o wrote: Normally when an update is announced you'd expect users to be happy, but instead they're up in arms just read the Ableton or Studio One update threads. The common themes I'm seeing are bugs not being fixed, requested features not being implemented, unhappyness with the pricing model and new features being aimed at a younger EDM crowd. It's like we've became so attached to our DAWs that we all have a sense of entitlement.
Here you answered your own question.

And yes: That is my experience too. You have a great DAW, you
have many DAW-users in the forum who contribute fantastic
suggestions for improvements and for new features.

But then the new update doesn't address any of these suggestions.
And more than that: It doesn't address only a few marginal bugs.
The big bug-list remains.

And of course there are new features. But not for you, only
for EDM, fashion users and entry-level newbees.

And: It costs again 150 €!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a few iterations of these "updates" you are really irritated
and nerved. And you look for other DAW-solutions. And you can
be happy if you find another DAW with a more musician-friendly
update policy.

Is there such a DAW? I think "yes, there is".
:D
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Topcheese wrote:If DAW version updates don't upset you, then why would you even respond?
Good point. So, in essence, the respective threads are ruled by a handful of people who are not cool with most things in the updates. Big deal. :shrug:

I'll repeat for the gazillionth time: The only thing convincing a company that they did a crap job is a lack of sales. Everything else is just bla, bla, bla, and bleh. And forums are full of that.

Topcheese wrote:I see the superior Intellects having to rule every thread preaching the virtues of their almighty DAW. :dog:
Well, I'mma assume you're referring to me :tu:

I did not once 'preach' the virtues of my "almighty DAW", and I'm pretty sure I only made one previous post :shrug:

The thread asks why updates are upsetting, and I answered that I believe it's due to marketing hype and pre-release fanfare that sets up the kind of expectation that is normally very difficult to live up to.
I then suggested, after berating Apple for using the same hype in other areas of their business, that the way Logic Pro is updated and released is one area that they seem to be getting right. No Preaching; No Boasting.

As to the rest of my post i.e that Logic gets updated a couple of times a year with a list of bug-fixes and feature additions as 'small' x-point-x releases than most DAW's get for a full-version release: I've not checked to confirm, but I think that's true. What does seem to be true is that those that paid $200 for Logic, four years ago, have so far received a ton of stuff, and I very rarely see the kind of disappointment at each roll-out than I see with other DAW's. If you think that's not the case, I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Either way, none of this has anything to do with Logic, or any DAW for that matter, being superior. At this point Logic works for me, but I've used enough other DAW's to know that I could make the music I want to make with any one of them. Use whatever works for you. Enjoy the process. And stop accusing others of that which they have not done :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Topcheese wrote:I see the superior Intellects
Give credit to Topcheese for knowing who is really on top :D
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Topcheese wrote:I see the superior Intellects
Give credit to Topcheese for knowing who is really on top :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Well, I'mma assume you're referring to me :tu:

I did not once 'preach' the virtues of my "almighty DAW", and I'm pretty sure I only made one previous post :shrug:

The thread asks why updates are upsetting, and I answered that
Running with assumptions is no better than running with scissors, but it seems to be the norm these days.

I very seriously doubt that I was referring to you, but referring to the people who seem to try and turn every thread into a philosophical debate. At the same time derailing the thread and making personal attacks.

I suppose I'm now one of those people, so please forgive me and carry on so that I can learn more about the ways that DAWs are upsetting to some people. Thank you!

Edit: and for the record I actually liked your response.

Anytime Apple decides to do a major Logic upgrade, they expect you to have the latest OS -1. I have run into problems with new OSes slowing down older computers (I mean 2-3 years old). I swore up and down that I wouldn't update my OS from El Cap to Sierra, or worse, High Sierra, then they came out with LPX 10.4, and it had new features that I found would be very useful to me. So, I had to bite the bullet and update to Sierra, or choose to not have the new features. I doubt very much, if/when LPX 10.5 comes out, that I'll update to High Sierra, and will therefore have to forego any new features they offer. I paid, for me, a small fortune for this iMac. I have to protect my investment in any way I can.

I used to trust Apple. I don't anymore.
Last edited by Bombadil on Fri May 25, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

How do you response to someone complaining about everything in his life. Do you…

A. Try to make it up for him, read every wish from his lips, and serve him everything?
B. Tell him that life can't be so bad that you have to complain about everything?

Not sure if the people complaining on forums all day long actually realize in what paradisaic conditions we live these days. Or what a complex piece of software our DAW's are, compared to how DAW's were like 20 years ago or so. And, even though more complex software is more prone to errors, i don't think we even see so many of these nowadays.

Wealth -> malaise -> complaints. That's the way i see it. It's not all bad, it's rather our highbrow entitlement attitude.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”