Rack Extensions on Sale! What did you purchase?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, RE's are relatively new on the market. I don't think you can run VST 2.4's on a VST 1 or 2.0 host either. And, i don't think devs and users really want to go back to the earlier RE SDK's, which didn't even allow switchable panels on the GUI.

The question is if you need RE's at all, coming from a VST host. If you already have Spire, Dune 2, NI FM8, Steinberg Padshop Pro, you probably don't "need" RE's, unless the sound of a specific RE turns you on considerably.

What I like about Racks/Refills ..etc. is the ease of installation and setup of all of them! It is a closed system and this is the advantage of it.
I don't have to deal with multiple protections and searching for that serial and that email (you know if you are installing in a new PC or just another computer). It's all done by one company and one website :)

I might even end using Reason and RE only (a wish I hope I can make it true) :-o

Tried out synthetic rig 3, but parsec2 is the only good synth. Spire, monopoly and predator I already have as vst.
Only Antidote is something special, allthough i have dune 2. It's a shame that they have removed antidote from the rig 3 bundle, so i prefer to buy only antidote and parsec2

sacer wrote:Tried out synthetic rig 3, but parsec2 is the only good synth. Spire, monopoly and predator I already have as vst.
Only Antidote is something special, allthough i have dune 2. It's a shame that they have removed antidote from the rig 3 bundle, so i prefer to buy only antidote and parsec2
Yes I had the same conclusion when I read the list of the synths. I have all Korg synths as VSTi and Dune 2. I don't need Predator or Spire, so I preferred to buy individual synths.

I was sceptical about the need for Antidote, but I believe it is the best rack I purchased till now for that money! It is very nice to program my own presets with everything in one page (sometimes the limitation of technology is a bless! :hihi: ). Now I'm very tempted to buy Parsec2! It has a very nice interface and sound. It is also has a very nice features and with one page ... and ... OK, I bought it! Damn! I won't come to this thread again :x

All I got was Yoko and Sunder from Unfiltered Audio...

EnGee wrote: Re-Strings - (and Re-Tron, ChamberTron as well) by GForce - Fantastic sound if you are into Mellotron
I'm a new Reason 10 user. Will buy the 3 GForce ones and maybe also Korg Polysix.
Already bought Korde.

Great sound for not much money.

pekbro wrote:All I got was Yoko and Sunder from Unfiltered Audio...
Didn't know they had some

aMUSEd wrote:
pekbro wrote:All I got was Yoko and Sunder from Unfiltered Audio...
Didn't know they had some
Yeah, they've been doing the RE thing for a while. I have the G8 RE as well.
Not quite as fascinating as their VST efforts, still quite good imho.
Yoko is particularly useful and Sunder is pretty interesting and unique.

sacer wrote:Tried out synthetic rig 3, but parsec2 is the only good synth. Spire, monopoly and predator I already have as vst.
I'd argue that eXpanse is the best synth in the synthetic rig 3, but then again I'm pretty biased. :P

EnGee wrote:
poleda wrote:
EnGee wrote:
poleda wrote:
Well, still being on version 6.5, I'm unable to run any of the new Rack Extensions. Which is an odd issue to have, since VSTs always work no matter what version of DAW you're on. So I will be buying zero, since this doesn't seem to be an issue to them.
:lol:
It's only funny until they release a newer version of the SDK and it makes all the previous versions of Reason and their extensions incompatible. Unless they realized what a big mistake this was last time and figured out the proper way to release an SDK update.
I'm not sure about what you are complaining?! :lol:

Have the Rack Extensions that you run before with version 6.5 stopped to run? Do you want a free upgrade to version 10.1 from 6.5?! If you want a solution, then upgrade to the latest version! Or you just want to complain about anything?!
I think the point is... VST3 doesn't make your current DAW defunct from running either VST2 or VST3. Which would be the proper way to release an SDK. Not purposely forcing people to uprade their DAW just to keep compatibility?

Let's not forget that it was the pay what you think it's worth, I mean the $1 upgrade for all and a half built SDK release.

You don't think it was a plan from the jump? And they weren't smart enough to think ahead and put what needs to be there in the first SDK? You mean to tell me that the basic core ground structure that was to carry on to the future wasn't properly implemented from the start by mistake or time constraints?

Either way, shows you how Propellerhead kept shooting themselves in the foot until they ran out of feet. I can name at least 20 mistakes they've made prior to the investment group taking the reins.
It's time to set the flux capacitor to 2018, bye bye VST2 and 32 bit.

poleda wrote:
I think the point is... VST3 doesn't make your current DAW defunct from running either VST2 or VST3. Which would be the proper way to release an SDK. Not purposely forcing people to uprade their DAW just to keep compatibility?

There are still DAWs that don't support VST 3, so indeed, if a plugin developer only starts releasing plugs as VST3 only, and those DAWs later add VST3 support, then you will indeed need to upgrade your daw to run the latest plugs. I also am not aware of any RE's made for version 6.5 that do not work in later versions of Reason, but I have purchased MORE than a few VST's over the years that will not run in any of my current spec DAWs

ShawnG wrote:
poleda wrote:

There are still DAWs that don't support VST 3, so indeed, if a plugin developer only starts releasing plugs as VST3 only, and those DAWs later add VST3 support, then you will indeed need to upgrade your daw to run the latest plugs. I also am not aware of any RE's made for version 6.5 that do not work in later versions of Reason, but I have purchased MORE than a few VST's over the years that will not run in any of my current spec DAWs
I don't believe he/she is serious! Just trolling mostly ;)

electricthing wrote:
EnGee wrote: Re-Strings - (and Re-Tron, ChamberTron as well) by GForce - Fantastic sound if you are into Mellotron
I'm a new Reason 10 user. Will buy the 3 GForce ones and maybe also Korg Polysix.
Already bought Korde.

Great sound for not much money.
I will buy them next discount because I have too many racks to explore now ;)

However, Korde for $9 is irresistible! I hope I still have some money left in my account to buy a screwdriver today :hihi:

Note that the Gforce Software Re-tron and Chamb-RE are not identical to their vst counterparts.

See the interview with Dave Spiers here: https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/11/inte ... -software/

"The Rack Extension versions are different to the VST versions in a number of ways. Re-Tron contains what we think are the best of the Streetly Tape Tron sounds and to get those sounds in the VST you’d have to buy M-Tron Pro and the Streetly Tape Libraries which adds up to a good chunk of change. <snip>

Likewise, Re-Strings has what we think are the essential sounds from VSM. <snip>

ChamberTron-RE is very different to the ChamberTron Expansion Pack for M-Tron Pro in that again it mainly uses the Streetly Chamberlin Tape Library. This came about because people were asking for add-on packs for Re-Tron, but we knew it would screw up their existing songs if we released something that way. When we heard the Streetly Chamberlin Tapes we went, “Wow. These are fantastic and we need to get these out there.”

The vast majority of the sounds on ChamberTron-RE aren’t on the ChamberTron Expansion Pack for M-Tron Pro. So that, along with the spring reverb makes it very different to the VST version.

ShawnG wrote: There are still DAWs that don't support VST 3, so indeed, if a plugin developer only starts releasing plugs as VST3 only, and those DAWs later add VST3 support, then you will indeed need to upgrade your daw to run the latest plugs. I also am not aware of any RE's made for version 6.5 that do not work in later versions of Reason, but I have purchased MORE than a few VST's over the years that will not run in any of my current spec DAWs
I should of said relevant Major DAW brands.

Which would most likely be a free incremental update anyways.
It's time to set the flux capacitor to 2018, bye bye VST2 and 32 bit.

Return to “Instruments”