'Proteus VX has stopped working'

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was in the same boat with the VX, so I purchased the X3 from the online site. It seems to lose the activation code and I too often need to keep reactivating it. You can't run X3 offline.

KVR is just amazing! I downloaded VX today for the first time on 64 bit/Win10 and installed JBridge for the first time ever. Everything seemed fine until I tried closing VX, when everything crashed.

I went here to find some answers but boy was I surprised to see this thread' s posts from today!

Another thought is the three romplers from Luxonix, now Sonic cat.

Said about Ravity:
"Ravity can be thought of as a “bread and butter” synth module, as it has all the basics you’d probably need. Using its many layers, filters, and effects, you can get a great variety of sounds from this nice rompler. I really like the interface, and the quick loading times. It might not have gigabytes of sample material to draw from, but it does have that great, classic sound of synth modules of yesterday.

Another thing I just have to mention: It just “works”. I know that might sound silly, but in these days of highly complex synthesizer and workstation software, this is one that I could easily work with, and the layout is a breeze to navigate."

They also have two newer products. Any thoughts on those? (The M1 doesn't do it for me as I think it sounds too much... well, M1. :wink:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

I just re-read an old thread of mine on this subject. I was recommended Xpand2 and here is a review of it: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews ... d-2-a.html

Isn't that the one that was on sale for a buck at pluginboutiqe (and now given away for free)? If so, then I have it, and I guess it is about time I install it too. :D From the review it actually looks like it can do bread n butter sounds and not just EDM. BTW, it's 64 bit.
Go MuLab!

Topcheese wrote:I was in the same boat with the VX, so I purchased the X3 from the online site. It seems to lose the activation code and I too often need to keep reactivating it. You can't run X3 offline.
You must have some problems with your system. I have X3 since ever, and not only does it keep the activation (I have it activated on several computers) I can play it anytime, no matter if I am online or offline.
Fernando (FMR)

I have now looked more into Air Xpand!2. I know it's been free from time to time (like Hybrid), but now it's 50 € at Pluginboutique. However, it's 20 at audiodeluxe at the moment. Also, one can get all of AIr's stuff for 75 euros at audiodeluxe right now, meaning:
  • Hybrid 3.0 – High-Definition Analog & Wavetable Synth
    Loom – Modular Additive Synthesizer
    Vacuum Pro – Polyphonic Analog Tube Synthesizer
    Structure – Multi-Timbral Sampler Instrument
    Strike – Ultimate Virtual Drummer Instrument
    Velvet – Vintage Electric Piano Instrument
    Transfuser – Melodic & Rhythmic Groove-Creation Instrument
    THE RISER – Synth-based Transition Designer
    DB-33 – Tonewheel Organ Simulator
    MINI GRAND – Acoustic Grand Piano
    Fresh AIR Expansion – Presets for Vacuum Pro
    Flux Transitions Expansion – Presets for theRiser
    AIR Creative FX Collection PLUS – 28 Classic Audio FX
    XPAND!2 – MULTITIMBRAL ALL–IN–ONE WORKSTATION
    D. Ramirez Expansion – Presets for Hybrid 3
    Marco Lys Expansion – Presets for Hybrid 3
    Mark Knight Expansion – Presets for Hybrid 3
    Rene Amesz Expansion – Presets for Hybrid 3
    Tocadisco Expansion – Presets for Hybrid 3
    Analog Trap Expansion – Presets for Hybrid 3
Over at reverb.com, Xpand!2 is now 7.5 euros at the moment, so the pricing of this plugin is all over the charts. :) Perhaps it's even free somewhere?

For the lazy ones :wink:, here's a list of features and instrument categories in Xpand!2:
  • Features:
    Four-channel multitimbral operation
    Up to four stereo instrument parts per patch
    Up to 64 voices per part; Mono or Poly voice modes
    Smart Knobs provide intuitive sound editing
    Easy Edit Knobs control the entire patch at once
    Two digital effects processors; 50 editable effect types
    Individual arpeggiation control for each part
    Multiple sound generation engines:
    Subtractive Synthesis
    FM Synthesis
    Tonewheels
    Sample Playback
    2500+ total presets and parts in the following categories:
    • Soft Pads
      Bright Pads
      Huge Pads
      Action Pads
      Ambience and FX
      Polysynths
      Synth Brass
      Percussive
      Simple Arpeggios
      Multitrack Arpeggios
      Soft Leads
      Hard Leads
      Acoustic Piano
      E-Pianos and Clavinet
      Organs
      Strings
      Vocals
      Brass and Woodwinds
      Mallets
      Bells
      Guitars
      Ethnic
      Hits
      Synth Basses
      Basses
      Drums
      Percussion
      Loops
      Multitimbral
Link to description at reverb.com: https://reverb.com/se/software/instrume ... orkstation

Also see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=497603

I think 7.50 spent on Xpand!2 seems to make a lot more sense than soundfonts, Proteus VX, Korg M1, or Emulator X3, if all one is after is bread'n'butter sounds. I haven't used it myself though yet. Thoughts?

Edit: I just noticed this video on reverb.com. After seeing this, I feel it makes little sense purchasing JBridge to hook up a shaky VX installation. :) https://reverb.com/se/software/instrume ... orkstation
Last edited by SparkySpark on Sat May 26, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Go MuLab!

(double posting)
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote:I think 7.50 spent on Xpand!2 seems to make a lot more sense
I'm assuming it'll work as a VSTi in my DAW, and I can just feed it a MIDI file and away we go, right?

Sure it's a plugin like any other.

EvilDragon wrote:Sure it's a plugin like any other.
Kewl, thx. Listening to the demo now & I don't think it's up to the standards I want audio-wise. I just found out I can have Big Mono drums with Sforzando and pay nothing for it, rather then shell out for Kontakt~! I just installed it: 8@D@$$! ;-)

If Tracktion 8 or 9 ever get put on a special where I can register a Behringer product & get them for free, I can get BioTek & Collective alog with that w00ttt~! :hihi:

Totally forgot about this thread. I think i'll try Emulator X3. :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I have now been using Xpand!2 for a month and it is really an (ugly-looking) gem! So worth the money and much more. Perhaps the best rompler today?

Taken one by one, I am sure there are better sounding options, but how often would one play sounds one by one?

Since it has four instances in one, I use it through layering sounds. For example, I put a pizzicato and a legato string together to get a better attack.

Also the on-board fx are great for the job, and each sound has settings for attack, decay, etc.

It's basically free, one GB install for 2500 patches, has no loading time and is completely hassle-less. It's a true gift! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Go MuLab!

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I have all the soundsets(exb files) for E-mu samplers, particularly emulator x3 or proteus vx, and hearing of known issues, I too decided to try another up to date alternative. Here is what I discovered(again)...thoughts?

https://samplerzone.com/collections/tra ... ystems-inc (https://samplerzone.com/collections/translator/products/chicken-systems-inc)

I’m gonna report back after extensive testing :roll:

I had Proteus VX working on Windows 7 64 bit late last year -- had some cool and familiar sounds in it. It seems to have stopped playing ball recently and has problems talking to the interface.

I gave up on Proteus VX a long time ago. I use Sonic Charge Cyclone for such sounds now.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

K-Bee wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:47 am Proteus VX have been giving me instant BSOD for ten years over 3 computers, 2 DAWs and with 3 different operating systems. I gave up! :lol: Something's just not meant to be :hihi:
I had the same experience with it. I also gave up. It wasn't worth the hassle to me.

I would use it if it was 64 bit and stable.

Return to “Instruments”