Exponential Audio goes machine iLok

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

@djanthonyw

Ah ok cool, sry just trying to get the gist of your solution. I only use the sw lock for demos myself as I have an iLok. I am interested in all possible solutions as I have quite a lot invested.

-cheers

I finally get to use R2

acousticglue wrote:I finally get to use R2
Don't praise the day before evening. I just installed the latest version of R2, and can't see the soft iLok option. Maybe i'm doing something wrong though, even though i wouldn't know what.

chk071 wrote:I'd be happier if they supported iLok Cloud. CPU/machine licensing is less favorable than the physical dongle for me. Hard drive crash = finito.

Not sure why people are so keen on jumping through hoops to retrieve their license.
Just had a logic board failure and while the experience has made look towards (at least) some hardware instruments, the process was no as bad as I anticipated. Emailed the companies, got new licenses in 24 hours or less.

The real hassle is just installing plugins one by one.

Good to know. :tu: I'll refrain from my point about jumping through hoops then. Though it could be a bit of a hassle contacting all the developers, when you own a lot of plugins. But, as has been mentioned, same when your dongle breaks. That's also why i'm propagating the cloud thing so much. There's gotta be some kind of hook to it though, when no developer supports it so far. Maybe they'd have to sell you the extra cloud protection as an update for the plugin due to licensing costs they have to pay to PACE, or something.

Great to see these developers going machine iLok. Loved it when Soundtoys did. EastWest as well. Good to have choices.

after using Breeze 2 for the last few months, R2 is actually sounding pretty average :P
different beasts for sure, R2 does blend into sources quite well. but Breeze 2 kinda pwns everything really.
at least now I can open old projects wherever I am. finally. I hope Sonnox follows suit.

I wrote a mail to Exponential Audio yesterday, BTW, because i was curious if iLok Cloud is a consideration, and, Michael wrote that, in his opinion, PACE are not yet offering a costing model which works, and that PACE are still figuring out what to charge, because they'll have to operate servers in all parts of the world, and that he hopes that they will come up with a good plan this year. We'll see if, and when something will happen in that regard.

it's a nice move from EA. I absolutely love his work. I know I should feel lucky that these revers are available ITB I/o OTB.

but the whole transfer fee, NFR license, rubbed me the wrong way.

I really want to buy stuff from EA, but I only have Nimbus (had phoenix verb and R2 as a bundle before). it torments me buying excalibur for example and then it gets upgraded and the whole upgrade fee NFR happen to me. I even bought nimbus with the possibility of license transfer and paid a fee for that (and there is an additional fee if u wish to transfer, and an additional fee from ilok).

anyway, I sincerely hope EA can find a better way to deal with upgrades than now. I'll probably upgrade to R4 and buy excalibur when I can find their business pattern predictable. go EA!

I got the R2 license from focusrite.
Can i use it now without usb ilok?

yes

thx!! :)

chk071 wrote:
acousticglue wrote:I finally get to use R2
Don't praise the day before evening. I just installed the latest version of R2, and can't see the soft iLok option. Maybe i'm doing something wrong though, even though i wouldn't know what.
Anyone got a step-by-step for Focusrite giveaway owners of R2 to get it working? Hearing different reports on working/not working.

Maybe contact the developer to verify, I just installed the latest "version 4.0.0"
and it does not allow for cpu activation...

From exponentialaudio.com:

"Some NFR and EDU licenses (issued before May 11, 2018) will not be updated to include CPU licensing"

My Focusrite promo license was deposited in April of 2017...

I'm guessing he's screwed the Focusrite peeps cuz only 1 guy actually bought the R4 upgrade. :hihi:

**Or maybe he has to pay iLok to change the licenses, in which case you can't really blame
him. It makes sense, it's possible that cpu activation is an option available to the developer for a fee,
similarly to the cloud thing. In any case, it certainly appears to be dependent on the lic itself,
rather than the plugin version.

you need to update the License Manager too

my 'Focusrite' license was deposited on the 7th April `18
and i can use it without the iLok dongle no problem
Last edited by sqigls on Sat May 26, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”