Where to start..???

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all,

So you want to make a certain/specific style of music, lets say Peter van Hoesen style techno.
But you have no idea where or what to start learning first in order to achieve that desired sound.

Where should one start?

Apologies for the vague question.

Cheers!

You could start by posting Youtube links so we have an idea of what you're talking about.,
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

You start with some freebee synths (can be included with your DAW) and learn what they are capable of. Make a lot of tracks with them, getting experience is key factor! While doodling with the settings you might think: hey this sounds a bit like what that other guy used. Try to mimick that sound to perfection. Try again and again in multiple ways. Get to know your tools and what they are capable of. Start simple, build up experience.
Then when you get bored and feel limited, you add another synth to your arsenal. And only when you know that one inside out you start thinking of adding another.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:You start with some freebee synths (can be included with your DAW) and learn what they are capable of. Make a lot of tracks with them, getting experience is key factor! While doodling with the settings you might think: hey this sounds a bit like what that other guy used. Try to mimick that sound to perfection. Try again and again in multiple ways. Get to know your tools and what they are capable of. Start simple, build up experience.
Then when you get bored and feel limited, you add another synth to your arsenal. And only when you know that one inside out you start thinking of adding another.

Thanks for the reply dude! Good point, I think I tend to get a bit overwhelmed with everything out there and think there are some golden/specific instruments to obtain.

Second question. I sort of know the basic of synthesis but any suggestions on some good online courses etc?

Ask a guy what he uses and everything you want to know abot his thing.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:Ask a guy what he uses and everything you want to know abot his thing.
Oh what a great idea...Ill just go ahead and do that...

br490 wrote:
Zexila wrote:Ask a guy what he uses and everything you want to know abot his thing.
That's the best you got, straight from nerds mouth.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

br490 wrote:
That's better idea than guesswork or telepathy, right? No one can give you better answer than the auhor :shrug:

If he ignores you (as we all do in this thread), this might be due to you seem not smart enough and unworthy.
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I've never heard of this Hosen lad, but the google knows him;

https://www.fabriclondon.com/blog/view/ ... ment-guide

Get this book:

https://store.attackmagazine.com/collec ... production

it covers all the basics and then some of any style of electronic dance music, it goes element by element (bass, drums, synths, fx, mixing, mastering) so it will get you started.

Obviiously also choose a DAW and learn to use it, I would recommend Ableton Live for techno (also because there are lots of tutorials with it).

If you don't have any background in music I would recommend getting a pad controller and suscribing a few months to Melodics to start developing your skiils and rythm awareness. https://melodics.com/
dedication to flying

Why not create something in your own style, and then maybe others will like it and will start copying it.

musicartist wrote:Why not create something in your own style, and then maybe others will like it and will start copying it.
Or maybe no one will listen it at all.

Now there are way too many artists in the world for anybody to listen to them, so the chance of a newbie without skills to set new trends approach zero.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”