One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Confession time - my gain staging was all over the place and about 12 of my tracks were clipping and causing those distortions! I have redone everything from scratch mix-wise and now it's much better and clean sounding. I'll repost here and hope those who listen again agree it's much cleaner. Still dense, but sounds so much better.

Thank you so much TrojakEW for mentioning it ...

dB
https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... -111-crust

doctorbob wrote:I'll repost here and hope those who listen again agree it's much cleaner. Still dense, but sounds so much better.
Yes it is much better now but I still hear some distortion on that texture that is starting at 1:40.
] Peter:H [ wrote:The track is just my demo playground, no serious mixing, just heavy automation of chord generation, automatic diatonic in-key transposition and some stupid arps.
Well it is nice so far even without BDR. Mix sound good for "no serious mixing" :D .

Hello There

https://soundcloud.com/stohgs/stohgs_kvr_osc_111_crust

Using
7x Instances of Crust VSTi
1x OldSkoolVerb
1x Marvel EQ

Enjoying the VSTi Synths from these challenges. So this is how they are tested for mass production. Hmm, now I see. Y'all do great in every OSC. It's incredible just to be here with you. Continually learn more about synthesis, formulas, and how it even helps with daily objects like confidence and dedication. Thank you everyone.

TrojakEW wrote: Yes it is much better now but I still hear some distortion on that texture that is starting at 1:40
Missed that one … overdriving Oril River! It can be sensitive to input levels and give nasty reverbs - so, I have checked all my instances and fixed a couple which added the odd crackle her and there! Especially that little wandering motif just at the end which did a single crackle which was completely down to the reverb.

I have replaced the track - enjoy!

dB

Hey folks,
what a month!

- At first, Crust didn't work in Cubase :shock: (I also had this black-list-problem, but Eugene fixed it a few days later :tu: )
- then the confusion about Eugene's ban and re-ban :ud:
- but finally everything is okay, I guess :)

For quite some time I had the idea of making a "Live track" :band2:
with a clapping crowd, whistling people and a "singing" audience. :clap: :hyper: :wheee:
All you need is a sine wave (whistling), noise (claps) and a formant filter.

All sounds are made from scratch except the toms ... many thanks to schiing :hail:

I used 20 instances of Crust in Cubase elements
Cubase effects:
6x reverb
2x compressor
3x limiter
2x delay
1 maximizer

free effects:
3x OTT_x64
2x Quick Haas
2x MeldaEqualizer
1x OrilRiver
1x Sanford reverb
and in the master channel I also used the Melda LoudnessAnalyzer.

Many thanks to Eugene for this incredible synth!!!

But now listen to my track and enjoy ...
:hihi:

https://soundcloud.com/rockingricky/roc ... st-me-live

rockingricky wrote:All sounds are made from scratch except the toms ... many thanks to schiing :hail:
Hey, happy you found a place in your track for the toms. Very cool and creative solution there, rockingricky - it reminds me of a something that might have been a library track on an early '80s Patchwork or Tele Music LP :hihi: Just to be clear: That's high praise in my musical universe!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

The number of sounds this thing is capable of truly boggles the mind.

generaldiomedes wrote:The number of sounds this thing is capable of truly boggles the mind.
Indeed! I think this round will have a wide range of styles/genres. So many possibilities!
dB

doctorbob wrote:Great stuff Peter. :tu: Sounds like you are lining up to shoot a real epic! :party: Maybe not with Crust, but soon! :)

Cheers,

dB
Thanks Dr. Bob. Have uploaded my final update of this Bitwig/BlueArp/Crust toy-track right now...It's a hilarious single finger orchestra.
BTW: Has anyone used the possibility to feed one Crust into another Crust for external FM/AM? Should be covered by the rulez, right?
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/ther ... rs/s-Bh4wQ

Wow guys, I'm so glad you dig Crust. I will check out all of your tracks this weekend :)
Good luck with the competition!

1eqinfinity wrote:Wow guys, I'm so glad you dig Crust. I will check out all of your tracks this weekend :)
Welcome back! Great synth, fun to work with. Thanks. :tu: Enjoy the tunes so far :party:
dB

doctorbob wrote:
1eqinfinity wrote:Wow guys, I'm so glad you dig Crust. I will check out all of your tracks this weekend :)
Welcome back! Great synth, fun to work with. Thanks. :tu: Enjoy the tunes so far :party:
dB
Yes, a big welcome back. Following your Crust thread, I already knew, but glad to see you chimed back in here! Nice to see the KVR admins pull through, too. That whole thing was bizarre to say the least. Trolls and hackers all over the place.

And big props to TJ Shredder. He raised some questions in a thread of his own and people jumped all over his sh!t. They should really re-evaluate their statements. Unreal.

Sorry. For Captain Kirk sentences. Na-nu. Na-nu. :D
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

schiing wrote: it reminds me of a something that might have been a library track on an early '80s Patchwork or Tele Music LP :hihi:
Ah, when this is a compliment: Merci beaucoup! :D

Flipping hell, why don't I get to do a song. Now, again, weeks seem to have flown by and I load up MuLab again. Jeeeez, this synth is quickly rising to be one of my favorites. The sounds, the quality of them...and I mean the sensation of the sound, it just sounds unique and full of character and very, very lively. This is how it's done.
Yet, I am so preoccupied with programming, I just don't get to make a song or really continue exploring this total beauty. I mean, the GUI is not the kind of invitation this synth deserves, but once you get a hang of it, it does work, of course. I mean, JUST TODAY I realized that there are filter modes, hahaha...finally stumbling across the freaking formant filter, which is... oh my goodness... phenomenal. I truly and deeply love it! :hyper:
It's unlikely I get to make a song that does it justice, if I get to make one at all, but if I end up missing this OSC, I will still try to make a song with it either way.
Eugene, I guess, you're awesome! :hug:

haha I'm feeling a bit like that. so much to explore I'm finding it hard to settle and finish a track... but not much time left for me. It is a wonderful synth...

Return to “Instruments”