Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

meldavid wrote:Really annoyed with all the privacy policy update emails I've been receiving.
I'm loving it. Perfect opportunity to thin my spam.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Melodyne is a kind of dilemma at the moment. I have used it since 2009, and purchased all the updates, but since the Editor 3, the Celemony have concentrated to create of multi-purpose effect, more than a (vocal) pitch detection and correction tool. I did not not upgrade to the Editor 4 because of that, and now we have no evidence, that the Celemony will develop the plugin (the original ideal of the plugin) further. On the contrary, some rumours, that they are considering selling the company. At least, very, very bad communication from the Celemony´s side, to their clients. They even finnished the Melodyne Forum, and the replies I´ve got from the company, are more or less laconic.

There are several other alternatives for vocal pitch detection and correction, if you are looking for that. I don´t know if they are better than the Melodyne, some of them are as good. I have always liked the Melodyne workflow, that´s why I feel bad, when it now seems to be wasted.

Harry_HH wrote:Melodyne is a kind of dilemma at the moment. I have used it since 2009, and purchased all the updates, but since the Editor 3, the Celemony have concentrated to create of multi-purpose effect, more than a (vocal) pitch detection and correction tool. I did not not upgrade to the Editor 4 because of that, and now we have no evidence, that the Celemony will develop the plugin (the original ideal of the plugin) further. On the contrary, some rumours, that they are considering selling the company. At least, very, very bad communication from the Celemony´s side, to their clients. They even finnished the Melodyne Forum, and the replies I´ve got from the company, are more or less laconic.

There are several other alternatives for vocal pitch detection and correction, if you are looking for that. I don´t know if they are better than the Melodyne, some of them are as good. I have always liked the Melodyne workflow, that´s why I feel bad, when it now seems to be wasted.
do you have a link to evidence Celemony are on the way out?

woggle wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:Melodyne is a kind of dilemma at the moment. I have used it since 2009, and purchased all the updates, but since the Editor 3, the Celemony have concentrated to create of multi-purpose effect, more than a (vocal) pitch detection and correction tool. I did not not upgrade to the Editor 4 because of that, and now we have no evidence, that the Celemony will develop the plugin (the original ideal of the plugin) further. On the contrary, some rumours, that they are considering selling the company. At least, very, very bad communication from the Celemony´s side, to their clients. They even finnished the Melodyne Forum, and the replies I´ve got from the company, are more or less laconic.

do you have a link to evidence Celemony are on the way out?
I have no evidence whatsoever. I said "rumours".

meldavid wrote:Really annoyed with all the privacy policy update emails I've been receiving.
It can't be helped. The annoying thing for me is I actually do want to stay subscribed to a lot of these companies but I got hit with so many emails that I ended up deleting them all.
Kick 2 beckons methinks, but what I really need is a Stereo>Stems extractor. Any suggestions better than Melodyne Editor? I have till end of the month to decide when Melodyne goes back to full price.
Do you mean like Audionamix XTRAX Stems?

https://www.jrrshop.com/audionamix-xtrax-stems

btw, we have Melodyne Upgrades on sale until June 30:

https://www.jrrshop.com/celemony?dir=de ... _from_date
Is there a Reaktor module out there can do what Melodyne does?
Nothing else does everything that Melodyne does but some specific functions are available elsewhere, such as:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/8658/
Do you vendors find that you get more sales during Idol season?
You mean the TV show? The season premiered in March and that was our busiest month of the year so far but it went all the way till last week and both April and May were about as busy as January and February. The Voice ran during the same period.
Or is the plugin & software market not really that big?
Splice just acquired Indaba so I assume things are going well for them. ;)
I find I'm more inclined to get back into this old hobby during Idol season, till a couple of months after it, then the passion fades abruptly, and I'm back into RPG gaming or other hobbies.
"If I miss one day of practice, I notice it. If I miss two days, the critics notice it. If I miss three days, the audience notices it."
- Ignacy Jan Paderewski

Never stop! :)

Harry_HH wrote:Melodyne is a kind of dilemma at the moment. I have used it since 2009, and purchased all the updates, but since the Editor 3, the Celemony have concentrated to create of multi-purpose effect, more than a (vocal) pitch detection and correction tool.
I absolutely love it. I use it all the time on bass guitar and it's amazing on fretless bass. Tuning drums to pitch is also excellent, I could probably use a different pitch corrector on individual drums but I haven't found anything else that can do it on bounced stems and loops. Auto-Tune does sound better to me on vocals but I prefer the Melodyne interface, especially since I'm using it with ARA in Studio One.
I did not not upgrade to the Editor 4 because of that, and now we have no evidence, that the Celemony will develop the plugin (the original ideal of the plugin) further.
I'm interested in seeing what they do with this aspect of ARA 2:

"seamless clip borders that make the manual setting of crossfades superfluous"
On the contrary, some rumours, that they are considering selling the company.
Melodyne's distributor told me they're one of their top selling brands.
Hopefully Synchro Arts will add ARA support to ReVoice. VocALign already has it but that is mainly for dubbing and, though cool, isn't really a competitor for Melodyne.

meldavid wrote:Any suggestions better than Melodyne Editor? I have till end of the month to decide, when Melodyne goes back to full price.
But also lusting for that Maschine Jam + 7 Expansions. It's either Melodyne or Maschine. Not both. Is there a Reaktor module out there can do what Melodyne can do
Have both Editor v4 and Maschine Jam. Maschine is a lot more fun, but Melodyne is more of an essential for fixing pitch. It sounds much more natural than anything else I have tried or own. There is nothing out that Reaktor can do that would replace Melodyne. They are programmed to do different things. The 7 expansion deal is nice. When I bought my Jam I only got one free expansion - nice perk since that would be at least $150 in forum prices to add those. NI keeps updating the Maschine software so it keeps getting better. Would love to add a Maschine 3.

" I absolutely love it. I use it all the time on bass guitar and it's amazing on fretless bass. Tuning drums to pitch is also excellent, I could probably use a different pitch corrector on individual drums but I haven't found anything else that can do it on bounced stems and loops. Auto-Tune does sound better to me on vocals but I prefer the Melodyne interface, especially since I'm using it with ARA in Studio One."

No doubt the Melodyne 4 is kind of a good product. But their human pitch (vocal) detection and correction /shifting has not improved in the last 10 years, polyphonic pitch detection was the last real innovation by the Celemony in this area.
All the other stuff after that have been for multi-effecting or for instrument use.

That´s the tragedy - Melodyne was once very innovative and advanced vocal pitch correction tool. The human voice detection and pitch shifting algorithms of the 90´s are enough anymore in 2018.

And ARA, even ARA2, is very, very limited, for spesific sequencers.

If you need a good vocal tool, and use e.g. the Live, why invest to Melodyne today?

No I don't need pitch correction. I can do that manually in Adobe Audition, but it processes the entire selected audio region. It can not process a stereo mix into individual stems. Audition uses IZotope Radius which is the best timestretching & pitchshifting I've ever tested that isn't too expensive. I'm not a pro so I have to limit what I spend on rarely used tools.

Need something that can seperate a stereo mix, into multiple audio stems: bass | drums | vocal | guitar | piano, and then convert those single audio stems to MIDI. Doesn't have to be an automatic process or a VST plugin. For remixing or recreating purposes.

Forgot to mention that it would be a Melodyne Essential to Editor upgrade. Isola Pro FX is also a candidate. These are expensive tools for what I would use pretty rarely.

I'm on Sonar Platinum PC. Started from 8 Producer, upgraded to X1, then X3, and finally Platinum. Just thought I'd mention that so you know what I already have in my plugin arsenal.
And apparently Cakewalk has also ceased but it still works. Not going to switch DAW unless it's cheap like Tracktion.
And sticking to PC. Been burnt by Apple far too many times.
OS X login screen takes 5 minutes to display the User Login screen when switching accounts. It's a horrible platform these days. Constant spinning beachball sometimes until you reboot. No way I am making music on that inspiration killing platform, whilst I can run my Windows 10 for 3 months straight without powering down and there is no slow down, whatsoever.
Apple wouldn't even fix Linus Tech Tip's $5000 iMac Pro which was only several months old, and he wasn't asking for a freebie fix, was willing to pay the service costs.
Last edited by meldavid on Sat May 26, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

meldavid wrote: Need something that can seperate a stereo mix, into multiple audio stems: bass | drums | vocal | guitar | piano, and then convert audio stems to MIDI. For remixing or recreating purposes.
Extract useable, artifact-free stems from a single full stereo mix and auto convert all notes to midi? That's some serious magic. :pray:

meldavid wrote:
I'm on Sonar Platinum PC. And apparently Cakewalk has also ceased but it still works. .
cakewalk was bought by these people - and it is free / they honour your license I think https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us

Uncle E wrote: Do you mean like Audionamix XTRAX Stems?

https://www.jrrshop.com/audionamix-xtrax-stems

Never stop! :)
Cheers, will give that a go. That may be what I am looking for. I did enquire via your online store regarding this same topic 5 days ago. First reply was from Eric. Second reply was from a Holy figure! I thought it was Uncle E having a bit of fun. He recommended the Melodyne option. That's how I knew I had till the end of this month to decide.

So have to now run trials of the following software:
Melodyne 4 Essential to Editor upgrade
or
Isola Pro FX
or
AUDIONAMIX XTRAX STEMS 1.5 [most attractive price-wise]
or
Audacity (recommended by Jesus, but I'm lacking faith :p in its polyphonic audio>MIDI ability)
or...
Delay my desire to remix old tracks for next year, get Maschine Jam and create totally new tracks (also lacking faith in my abilities if I go with this option)

"Never stop!", says Uncle E. A circadian rhythm is a 24-hour cycle right? Well I know my yearly [technical term unknown] cycle. I am not able to stray from it. Quite certain I will stop.

The US talent shows screen later for us down-under, but my family watches the Aussie & US ones, and also Eurovision. I don't really watch TV at all these days--YouTube truth/conspiracy channels is what I'm addicted to--but I can hear what the family is viewing, and take a peek whenever I hear something interesting, like Katy flirting with a contestant or some other zany shit. They are really just popularity contests, with mostly scripted drama. I know that! When one contestant pulled out Kermit the Frog I thought she was playing dirty, Sun Tzu would be proud!
Last edited by meldavid on Sat May 26, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Have to agree with some of the comments regarding the lack of innovation from version 3 to 4 of Melodyne’s pitch algorithm. I wasn’t always happy with the slightly phased sound of some vocals after correction and was really hoping they would have worked on that part of the program for version 4... so I haven’t updated.
I now use the Flex Pitch in Logic Pro X which I find really good and very practical being as it’s fully integrated. So if you are using Logic then that would be my recommendation.

:ud:
Last edited by BBFG# on Mon May 28, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

meldavid wrote:Really annoyed with all the privacy policy update emails I've been receiving. I get like 15 a day.
I feel sorry for the developers that didn't need to scrap their entire mailing list to be GDPR compliant - so much misinformation/misunderstanding out there.

This hard opt-in thing was really to weed out those companies that had scraped/purchased email addresses - not those where the list was from people who had subscribed to newsletters and/or been previous customers. All they needed to do was to provide an easy opt-out mechanism.

There was at least one positive to me from the GDPR - I was impressed with the subspace reverb freebie from Zynaptiq.

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”