Aurora FM - New Win(32/64) VSTi FM synthesizer - Introductory pricing

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Aurora FM

Wow, chorus FX! :)

New version up!
  • Increased max polyphony to 30 voices, and correspondingly improved efficiency of voice allocation routines
  • Increased demo mode polyphony to 6 voices
  • Added mod targets for chorus parameters, tweaked graphics in Mod section

Thank you RyFi. :)

Another excellent update, thank you.

My pleasure, gentlemen.

A few more things fixed:
  • Fixed portamento: in the case where a voice ends before the portamento hits the target pitch, that voice now resumes from the pitch where it left off
  • Fixed more phase discontinuity clicks in portamento and in monophonic mode

Another version up!
  • Fixed erroneous portamento rate calculation. Yeesh, sorry about that! I don't know how I never noticed that it was way wrong before. It now has the intended constant rate behaviour.
  • Fixed yet more phase discontinuity clicks in monophonic mode. Good grief, I hope that's all of them...
  • Discovered that the reverb mix/wet parameter wasn't exposed in the parameter list and wasn't getting reset with an "init". Ugh. Added.
  • Made a few marginal improvements to the reverb.
  • Lowered the gain on the output of the chorus effect so there isn't a pronounced volume jump.

RyFi wrote:
AuroraFM.png
Hey all. I'm an indie developer and I present to you Aurora FM, my new FM synthesis VSTi for Win32/64, available here: http://www.audionebula.ca.

All the details are on my website. If an FM synthesizer is something lacking from your toolkit or you just like checking out new instruments, I think you might find it has a lot to offer for the modest price.

This is my first time releasing a synth (I've done several MIDI editor/hardware controllers in the past) and I don't really know what else to say... so, uh, there you go I guess. :)

Edit:
Feature requests are pointless. I guarantee my wishlist is bigger than yours :wink: .

Product page: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/aurora ... dio-nebula

RyFi
http://www.audionebula.ca

Hi RyFi,
I like FM...much! And I like to support small devs. So I bought your Synth and fell in love with it immediately due to the fact that you can make experimental nasty sounds right from the start in no time and it has good envelope handling compared to DEXED and more modulation possibilities. In fact I don´t like fixed algorythms. A free routable operator matrix some day would be really dope!

The GUI is allright and good to understand. But on a 4K monitor...ouch! Can´t barely read this thing. I truely hope there will be (I think there should be) a bigger version out one day.

I will play around with AURORA FM and you will get my feedback sometimes :)

By the way. I purchsed a licence but didn´t get a mail or something like this. How long do you usually take to ship the licence?

I wish you a joyful programming and good luck with this one. If you improve things (big GUI) and add more features (more modulation sources and tagets) it can become really really great I think. But actually AURORA FM is already on a good way to FM heaven! And I like the fact much, that you decided to design it as a pure FM-Synth!

:tu:

P.S.
One wish left for the future. Please don´t make it to clean sounding. It really could have a little more grittyness and digital artifacts nastyness :hihi:

Hi again.

It runs without problems in Win10 under vPlayer.

:help: :help: :help:

It doesn´t run on my studio machine, Win7 Cubase 8 64 bit -> AuroraFM doesnt start, a display is shown reading: wrong buffer size. Must be multplied by 4 (or something like this). Then AuroraFM is shown but Cubase freezes.

Can someone please help? Thank you in advance.

Hey. Yeah, at present it's a requirement that you need a buffer size that's a multiple of 4 samples. This is because the internal processing loop is all SSE SIMD. Is it not possible to satisfy this criteria in Cubase 8? What's your audio interface?

nichttuntun wrote: Hi RyFi,
I like FM...much! And I like to support small devs. So I bought your Synth and fell in love with it immediately due to the fact that you can make experimental nasty sounds right from the start in no time and it has good envelope handling compared to DEXED and more modulation possibilities.
Thank you! That's what I love about it too.
In fact I don´t like fixed algorythms. A free routable operator matrix some day would be really dope!
It would be dope, but I don't think it's very likely that I'll go that route.
The GUI is allright and good to understand. But on a 4K monitor...ouch! Can´t barely read this thing. I truely hope there will be (I think there should be) a bigger version out one day.
I realize this is an issue for some people. However considerable development effort is required to address it, and the reality is that developing Aurora FM has been an immense financial loss for me. I'm always considering the possibility of addressing this but at present I can't promise anything.
I will play around with AURORA FM and you will get my feedback sometimes :)
Sounds good.
By the way. I purchsed a licence but didn´t get a mail or something like this. How long do you usually take to ship the licence?
Please check your email.
I wish you a joyful programming and good luck with this one. If you improve things (big GUI) and add more features (more modulation sources and tagets) it can become really really great I think. But actually AURORA FM is already on a good way to FM heaven! And I like the fact much, that you decided to design it as a pure FM-Synth!

:tu:
Thank you very much!
P.S.
One wish left for the future. Please don´t make it to clean sounding. It really could have a little more grittyness and digital artifacts nastyness :hihi:
You might try adding some overdrive. This can add some grit and complexity, and you can even push it into aliasing if you want, but it's not the greatest sounding OD and definitely isn't appropriate in all cases. Or you can lower the bit depth and leave off dithering and this will definitely give you some nasty digital artifacts. But aside from those, I aim for having the highest resolution signal path that's possible.

RyFi wrote:
nichttuntun wrote: Hi RyFi,
I like FM...much! And I like to support small devs. So I bought your Synth and fell in love with it immediately due to the fact that you can make experimental nasty sounds right from the start in no time and it has good envelope handling compared to DEXED and more modulation possibilities.
Thank you! That's what I love about it too.
Hi, I like that you have a vision and that you are obvious doing something because you like it to be that way. Just like building an advanced DX7 for yourself. The one that came never out at first place and have fun with it.

GUI-size:
I know that a rezisable GUI is a big problem and very time consuming for some devs and I understand that. Maybe you could get some help for that? I am sure there is someone to find. Problem is that this is a fact that will hold back many willing potential customers. And I read this a hundred times and its a topic on every VST synth nowaday. In result I think this should be considered first today, before the synth is even programmed because unfortunately it is actually veeeeery important. People get older have weaker eyes with the years and screens get higher and higher resolutions. If you would sit infront of my test screen, you would feel the same as I no matter how old you are. Please please consider to rework the GUI some day and make it bigger...at least when AURORA FM version 2.0 is ready to publish. You will flash the market with it. I have a feeling, that this thing could get real big one day. It has so much potential. Don´t let the size-problem get in its way. I heard MADRONA LABS is working on a new thing ... has something to do with FM :D The market wants FM and there is so much potential for outstanding synth which are not just generic and clean sounding clones. I really wish you all the luck for your vision and hope for the best.

Email:
Already checked. Thank you!

Digital grittyness/ digital artefacts/ Overdrive:
Yes of course. But I meant to do that within the synth (FM)- engine itsself. I got so many digital distortion plugins, I don´t need one in AURORA FM anyway. Maybe you have the possibility to try out PORTA-FM from Plogue. Than you understand what I mean :)

I am very curious about the future of AURORA FM and I am very keen to delve into it further in my studio. There the screen is only 2K and the GUI appears a little bit bigger (still to small for so many features on just one side) than on my 4K screen of my Test-System.

Cubase freeze:
Okay I will set the Buffer-Size anew and hope it works. I´ll report back.

Regards and keep up the great work. :tu:

Me again...fiddled another hour with it...it´s a B E A S T! Wow. Totally amazing for sound-design and experimental music. See the smile in my face. :love: :love: :love:

Set the buffer size to 4, 8 and 12 but everytime the plugin freezes the hole DAW. I use a Focusrite audio interface. I am sure you find a workaround for that. 8)

Woah, you can get your buffer size down to 4 samples ?! Running my DAW at anything below 64 on my system and it's clickedy-click-buffer-underrun time !

Return to “Instruments”