Why are DAW version updates so upsetting?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Simply to answer, it is jealousy,Ego, and attachment. Jealousy comes from other DAW users who are insecure of their beloved DAWs bested out by this release and get angry by their own short coming of their own DAW gravitate to create hostile environment by just crying and make other people feel Bad about the release DAW.
Ego, those who are so invested on the DAW yet not satisfied cause of the expectation they put for feature to be released that has never happed according to their expectation. those guys think what they want only is important and others people request is amateur. Where is this feature and where is that feature is their topic.

The last one is my favourite and I myself included. I love the the DAW and I'm invested on that DAW when they release I expect to be treated better as an early adaptor. I forgot also they are here to make business and I feel like I'm entitled to ask just cause I'm a user. So, I will complain about price but still gonna pay. Sometimes it has a fact sometimes pure bullshit.

Studio Saturn wrote: Ego, those who are so invested on the DAW yet not satisfied cause of the expectation they put for feature to be released that has never happed according to their expectation. those guys think what they want only is important and others people request is amateur. Where is this feature and where is that feature is their topic.
Excellent point, and perfectly describes the "They don't listen to their users… :(" attitude.

Bombadil wrote:Anytime Apple decides to do a major Logic upgrade, they expect you to have the latest OS -1.
You realize that we Logic users are lucky that they allow to have OS-1.
The latest Fincal Cut Pro release only runs on the latest OS.
Edgar Rothermich
(iMac5K, 32GB)
YouTube Videos https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Books for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools, GarageBand and FCPx http://DingDingMusic.com/
My Instagram for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools https://www.instagram.com/edgarrothermich/

EdgarRothermich wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Anytime Apple decides to do a major Logic upgrade, they expect you to have the latest OS -1.
You realize that we Logic users are lucky that they allow to have OS-1.
The latest Fincal Cut Pro release only runs on the latest OS.
Yes, I feel lucky that updates from Lion to El Cap turned my 2011 Mini-Server (i7, quad core, 16GB, 2GHZ) into a web browser for my wife. The updates made it unuseable for recording. The fan engaged even with just iTunes playing. I couldn't even listen to music at low volume because of it.

If worse comes to worst, I'll go back to a 2nd hand Roland VS, or BOSS BR. There is no good reason, other than to force Logic users to get new hardware, to make the LPX upgrades dependent upon the latest OSes. I really don't see why El Cap shouldn't be compatible with 10.4.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I am pretty even keeled and rational and I hardly am ever bothered by DAW updates, even if they don't have my features or fixed my pet bug. if I like the update I buy, if I don't, I won't. There has never been, and will never be, perfect software. if there's a bug, the best thing for your music is probably to find out how to deal with it and move on, rather than constantly venting your spleen or hunting for other solutions that most likely just have different bugs... I also used to make music with tape and analog gear, so that might color my tolerance and attitude for such things. back then if your gear had a bug, guess what? It's never getting fixed... Making software involves making tough choices and sometimes fixing one bug has other consequences. It's hard work that requires intense levels of knowledge, skill, smarts, and long hours coding. Coming on a forum and trashing their work requires no knowledge, skill, or intelligence, and takes hardly any time at all.

That said, I have had a couple occasions where I have had anger issues over an update, Reason 8 really ticked me off with asking full update price for a drag and drop browser, and I did go a bit aggro on the PUF about it, so I do understand a bit. (I then sold Reason 7 on the PUF for $215 and a few months later bought reason 8 for $150 here, I ended up making 65 bucks on my upgrade, so it worked out)

I do have a pet peeve about Logic being often held up as an example of how to do things correctly. I think Logic is awesome, but let's be frank; Apple is in a different business than Steinberg, Ableton, and Presonus are. I'm sure if everyone else in the music software biz had more money than most industrialized nations do, and they were selling their DAWs at cost so they could boost the sales of their premium priced hardware, a lot of these issues might be better received, but unfortunately Apple is the only one who can afford to operate like this.

Bombadil wrote:If worse comes to worst, I'll go back to a 2nd hand Roland VS, or BOSS BR. There is no good reason, other than to force Logic users to get new hardware, to make the LPX upgrades dependent upon the latest OSes. I really don't see why El Cap shouldn't be compatible with 10.4.
Firstly: You are just speculating that there is no underlying os code that each Logic iteration is dependent on. And, secondly: No one is forcing you to do anything. If you really can make the music you want with a Roland V5 or BOSS BR then you'd still be fine running Logic 7 :shrug: But, like all of us, you fell for the 'shiny, new'. I also would still be fine using Logic 7, and would be very happy with Logic 9 on 10.6.8 (I bet there are still people who put their flag in the sand on that one).

I think the best advice is that when things are starting to edge towards the end of the cycle of wherever you are currently stable, then just stick with it until some time that you might be prepared to re-invest. No point throwing the baby out with the bathwater :shrug:

And remember: it's easy enough to install the new os to an external drive before you commit to anything :tu:

You see, I am really skittish when it comes to doing things like that. The only external drive I have is my TM drive. You have a point, up to a point, about falling for the 'new and shiny.' As I said, I used to trust Apple. I am far more wary of their business model now, and will act accordingly.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote:You see, I am really skittish when it comes to doing things like that. The only external drive I have is my TM drive. You have a point, up to a point, about falling for the 'new and shiny.' As I said, I used to trust Apple. I am far more wary of their business model now, and will act accordingly.
If you have enough space available, you can always add a partition to your main drive (Though, if you are skittish about the external option, this idea probably already has you sweating :wink: ). Anyway, you could probably pick up a 320gig drive for peanuts these days. And it's so simple to do. If you ever needed help with setting it up, just 'pm' me :tu:
I am far more wary of their business model now, and will act accordingly.
I also have huge misgivings about certain things, but I just try to be pro-active rather than re-active. For example, I've just started testing High Sierra on a 2nd internal drive to make sure everything is compatible so that I can keep my rhythm of being one os behind, whether Logic demands it or not. That way, if 10.5 suddenly drops with EXS-24mkIII, spectral editing, in-line channel/console strips, customisable mixer, chord-track and an Ableton-style clip page, then I'm already confident that it will work (or not).

I think High Sierra might be the last compatible os that runs on this 6-year old computer. Even then, that gets me another couple of Logic hits. Were that not the case, and I had to stick where I am (I cannot affor do to upgrade computers), then I'd be happy where I am. It's an embarrassment of riches, really :tu:

Bombadil wrote: Yes, I feel lucky that updates from Lion to El Cap turned my 2011 Mini-Server (i7, quad core, 16GB, 2GHZ) into a web browser for my wife. The updates made it unuseable for recording. The fan engaged even with just iTunes playing. I couldn't even listen to music at low volume because of it.
Something hella weird is up with your Mac my dude, my Mid-2011 iMac is specced about the same and doesn't do any of that under High Sierra. It runs Logic just peachy, let alone iTunes.

Quite possible, though the problem correlates positively to the OS upgrades. The heaviest thing my wife uses it for is to play Civ IV . The fan regularly engages, I assume because these things have no dedicated GPU.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I'm running OS 10.12.6 on a 2011 MBP; Nuendo 8.2, VE Pro latest version, FCPX 10.3.4, DaVinci Resolve, with no real issues. :shrug:

ATN69 wrote:The part of updates I don't like is all the messing around that can happen. File locations move, maintenance tasks such as plugins scans can change in the most drastic ways. It's like when you finally know where every item is located in your local supermarket, and then they decide to redecorate the place :D
This drives me nuts.

The subconscious and false idea that "change" is always for "the better".
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

Chapelle wrote:
festeringheap wrote:So, following your logic, there could also be a bunch of ringers on forums pumping the amazing qualities of DAWs, synth plugins and FX plugins...
My post wasn't entirely serious, but yes, I've seen people around here promoting or agressively defending a product of a company, only to later find out that they are affiliated with that company in some way.
I think a better strategy would be to have a respected poster(s) embedded by said company, in a forum, to gently guide positive opinion about product(s).

Not that that would happen here of course.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”