Fuse Audio Labs releases the F-59 Classic Guitar Amp Emulation Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Could be a Bandmaster or a Tremolux. If you look at what’s archived at any of the tube amp schematic sites, you’ll see there’s a fair number to choose from during that era. Probably pointless to speculate.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

Probably pointless to speculate.
No need to speculate at all. It was told a few times it's Bassman.

How does it compare to Ace Amp by Shattered Glass Audio, which emulates a similar (same?) amp?

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ace-by ... lass-audio

Found a bug here: this doesn't seem to work with Studio One's low-latency ("blue Z") monitoring at all. At least on Windows.

Plugin Versions: VST3 and VST2 (tested both)
Studio One Version 3.5.6

To Reproduce:

1. Load F-59 on a track in Studio One
2. Enable low-latency monitoring ("blue z") mode for audio if not already on (i.e. click the blue z on the master output)
3. Enable input monitoring on your F-59 track

Result: you'll hear the clean unprocessed output of the guitar but not the effect. The master meter shows no output at all.

4. Disable the F-59

Result: the master output in Studio One receives the clean signal as expected.

5. Re-enable the F-59
6. Disable low-latency monitoring by clicking the blue-z on the master buss to turn it off

Result: now, input monitoring on the F-59 works as expected, however, the round-trip latency in Studio One is higher because of the dual-buffer design.

As an aside, after figuring it out, I don't really love this plugin. It's the first Fuse Audio product I won't be buying, even at the amazing price. Honestly, the built-in cab doesn't sound great to me, and when I'm tracking I just can't be bothered to mess around with separate IR plugins and the infinite mixing and matching of impulses that can go with that. Even just loading up Ampltube 4 and playing with the various Bassman cabs, didn't yield great results IMO, which immediately lead me to try and find a cab that did work.

Now, the amp response itself felt great. Fantastic sustain, great pick response. But the cabinet section is just a rabbit hole I don't want to go down. Not just this paticular amp sim, I've felt this way about others too. And as of late, I've bought a few more amps, a few more microphones, some nicer preamps, so I'm also in a headspace where if I'm recording a "keeper" take, I'm going to mic it up anyway.

That said, if Fuse wanted to know what it would take to get me to buy an amp sim for future reference: I'd want a few selectable microphone options (even if just dynamic, ribbon, condenser) with the ability to blend and pan at least two microphones. Ideally, I'd also want the ability to "place" them around the amp, even if the placement options were just as simple as: 1) near/far, 2) cone/edge, 3) on/off-axis for each microphone. Bonus points if a virtual room microphone could instroduce room tone.

Would I expect that hypothetical plugin to sell for $29 (even w/ an intro discount)? Absolutely not. But I'd also be more willing to pay more for something with those options. Anyway, for now, it's just not for me. I'm sure I'll be buying the next thing Fuse puts out (like I have everything before this).

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Found a bug here: this doesn't seem to work with Studio One's low-latency ("blue Z") monitoring at all. At least on Windows.

Plugin Versions: VST3 and VST2 (tested both)
Studio One Version 3.5.6

To Reproduce:

1. Load F-59 on a track in Studio One
2. Enable low-latency monitoring ("blue z") mode for audio if not already on (i.e. click the blue z on the master output)
3. Enable input monitoring on your F-59 track

Result: you'll hear the clean unprocessed output of the guitar but not the effect. The master meter shows no output at all.

4. Disable the F-59

Result: the master output in Studio One receives the clean signal as expected.

5. Re-enable the F-59
6. Disable low-latency monitoring by clicking the blue-z on the master buss to turn it off

Result: now, input monitoring on the F-59 works as expected, however, the round-trip latency in Studio One is higher because of the dual-buffer design.
Hi funkybot's evil twin,

Thanks for your bug report. I assume it happens with all the Fuse plugins btw.? I'll try to reproduce asap.

Also, thanks for your honest feedback. The IR/Cab part is something that can and will be worked on in future amp sim products, no doubt. :tu:

Best,
Ray

Izak Synthiemental wrote:How does it compare to Ace Amp by Shattered Glass Audio, which emulates a similar (same?) amp?

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ace-by ... lass-audio
It's not a similar amp at all - Ace emulates a Tweed Champ, which is a 5 watt combo amp with a 6'' or 8'' speaker (depending on the year).

The '59 Bassman is a 40watt (I think) 4x10'' combo. Both are Fender amps of the same era, but that's it regarding similarity...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

fuseaudiolabs wrote:The IR/Cab part is something that can and will be worked on in future amp sim products, no doubt. :tu:
Just a quick note to say that I LOVE the built-in Cab on F-59! (And the whole thing, for that matter.)

Personally I also don't see (or rather hear) what's not to like about the cab,,,,
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I'm currently demoing and mostly loving it. I do not like the cab but I'm ok with using IR's.

My biggest gripe is with the output level control: I'd like it to go to at least -36 dB. Also an input gain or another way to control "calibration" would be just lovely (maybe hidden in the options menu).

I’ll be reviewing “F-59” properly before too long, but my first impressions are favourable. I do agree that if the cab section were even a little better, this would just about be the perfect virtual bassman. As it is, I’m not sure there are any other tweed bassman émulations that sound this good. Yes, I’m including “Amplitube Fender Collection 1” in my opinion. :D
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

This plugin demoed well but Amplitube Fender 2 cabs have me covered

fuseaudiolabs wrote:Hi funkybot's evil twin,

Thanks for your bug report. I assume it happens with all the Fuse plugins btw.? I'll try to reproduce asap.

Best,
Ray
Hi Ray,

I can confirm, it does happen with the others as well. Funny that I never used them when input monitoring before and only when mixing.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:

Best,
Ray
Hi Ray,

I can confirm, it does happen with the others as well. Funny that I never used them when input monitoring before and only when mixing.
Thanks for your feedback.

Are you on Mac? If so does it also occur in the AU version?

Best,
Ray

fuseaudiolabs wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:

Best,
Ray
Hi Ray,

Thanks for your feedback.

Are you on Mac? If so does it also occur in the AU version?

Best,
Ray
Sorry, I'm a Windows guy. Maybe someone with a Mac and Studio One can jump in and confirm.

Return to “Effects”