EVICT THE SNAKES! (Alt-rock)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everybody! Today I am sharing a new I released yesterday. Check it out in the link below!

https://youtu.be/y9ywikAJpwI

I honestly do not know how to respond to this. If I tell you how I really feel, everybody is going to come here and gang up on me and make the rest of my day a living hell. If I just say "Hey man, great song" people will think I'm being sarcastic or smoking dope. Either way I can't win. So given my personal Kobiashi Maru, I'm just going to give it to you straight and accept the consequences from everybody.

Pros

The song has AMAZING potential musically. It is EXTREMELY catchy at its core. Reminds me of the stuff I listened to with my daughter in the late 90s on alternative stations. The potential in this is almost excruciatingly painful because of all that's wrong.

Cons

Unless you did this on purpose as kind of a tongue on cheek thing, your voice is horrible. Not so much in the quality, because you do have kind of a pop rock sound to it that fits. But it is SOOOO off key it is painful. Now, did you do that on purpose or are you just tone deaf? If done on purpose, congrats. You spoofed the genre brilliantly making most of the cons irrelevant. Moving on.

The words are ridiculous. I won't even get into how you ever came up with the title "Evict The Snakes." What the hell does this song even have to do with evicting snakes? In fact, I have no clue what this song is really about.

The recording itself could be worse but could be a lot better. Everything seems muddy in the middle. Did you even bother EQing this thing at all anywhere?

At least the performance is passable. There are no timing issues or anything like that and no mistakes as far as wrong notes.

Structure wise, the chorus (Is that even a chorus?) is too similar to the verse. Yet, I'm not exactly sure how I would change it because, like I said, catchy as hell.

If I could (I can't because it's your song) I would take the basic structure and turn it into something, well, something I think you'd like. But this is your child so it's in your hands.

I never loved and hated anything so much in my whole life, musically anyway.

I tend to agree with Mr Tunes here, though perhaps less hyperbolically.. :hihi: 'Evict the Snakes' 0- I assume it's a metaphor Wags!

I too think the basic song is sound - it has charm and reminds me a lot of the old Scottish indie stuff from the mid 80s John Peel used to play.

The production is, shall we say, rather 'challenging', and the vocals are very off key.

Starting with the music, I'd in this instance start the mix again and get your drums and bass right together in terms of levels, only then add the guitars, and pan them out a little bit so there's some space. After that concentrate on the eq of the individual instruments so they sit together well, with nothing seeming to stick out too much.

Vocals wise, I'd speculate that you're quite new to singing? Firstly, I always respect anyone who gives it a go; a lot of people are too soft to even try. I'd say give it another go, and make sure you're not tired and are comfortable when you do it, and crucially you can hear properly when monitoring the recording (always helps!). I'd drop the distortion for now - it's just trying to mask the underlying tuning issues, which you need to get right first.. With a bit of practice at it it'll come..

donkey tugger wrote:I tend to agree with Mr Tunes here, though perhaps less hyperbolically.. :hihi: 'Evict the Snakes' 0- I assume it's a metaphor Wags! ...
yep ...
head snakes ...
not actual physical snakes requiring eviction procedures ...

Nice idea, but sounds more like a rough demo than a finished tune. Could be really good ... it does have that late 90s John Peel indie "feel" to it.

wagtunes wrote:I honestly do not know how to respond to this. If I tell you how I really feel, everybody is going to come here and gang up on me and make the rest of my day a living hell. If I just say "Hey man, great song" people will think I'm being sarcastic or smoking dope. Either way I can't win. So given my personal Kobiashi Maru, I'm just going to give it to you straight and accept the consequences from everybody.

Pros

The song has AMAZING potential musically. It is EXTREMELY catchy at its core. Reminds me of the stuff I listened to with my daughter in the late 90s on alternative stations. The potential in this is almost excruciatingly painful because of all that's wrong.

Cons

Unless you did this on purpose as kind of a tongue on cheek thing, your voice is horrible. Not so much in the quality, because you do have kind of a pop rock sound to it that fits. But it is SOOOO off key it is painful. Now, did you do that on purpose or are you just tone deaf? If done on purpose, congrats. You spoofed the genre brilliantly making most of the cons irrelevant. Moving on.

The words are ridiculous. I won't even get into how you ever came up with the title "Evict The Snakes." What the hell does this song even have to do with evicting snakes? In fact, I have no clue what this song is really about.

The recording itself could be worse but could be a lot better. Everything seems muddy in the middle. Did you even bother EQing this thing at all anywhere?

At least the performance is passable. There are no timing issues or anything like that and no mistakes as far as wrong notes.

Structure wise, the chorus (Is that even a chorus?) is too similar to the verse. Yet, I'm not exactly sure how I would change it because, like I said, catchy as hell.

If I could (I can't because it's your song) I would take the basic structure and turn it into something, well, something I think you'd like. But this is your child so it's in your hands.

I never loved and hated anything so much in my whole life, musically anyway.
"A snake is someone who you think is sincere and really nice, but then turns out to be a backstabber.
Someone who acts like your best friend, but who actually is the opposite."
To evict someone is to kick them out. So basically cutting ties with all the "snakes" in your life. My vocals are terrible but I guess that is the d.I.y "punk" aspect of the track and the mentality I had while writing this. I could've spent hours on hours trying to get them just right but I went in on this track with a demo mentality. This track I made was put out because it was fun to make and besides the vocals, which I've only started the singing thing about 2 weeks ago I felt the music aspect was catchy. I know my potential as a song writer/producer and I know that this doesn't showcase that. I could give you the whole story but eh. As for the mixing, this is probably my first mixing guitars and I'll be honest it's trickier than I thought, or at least compared to what I usually make. And I'm mixing on some small Bose speaker and $10 earphones. As for working on it more, this was just something that was for the fun of it, I didn't have any intentions of going all out with it. There's actually other obscure genres I've experimented with that'll never see the light of day.... Anyways, once again thanks for your well thought out response and review, as well as saying its catchy as hell!
donkey tugger wrote:I tend to agree with Mr Tunes here, though perhaps less hyperbolically.. :hihi: 'Evict the Snakes' 0- I assume it's a metaphor Wags!

I too think the basic song is sound - it has charm and reminds me a lot of the old Scottish indie stuff from the mid 80s John Peel used to play.

The production is, shall we say, rather 'challenging', and the vocals are very off key.

Starting with the music, I'd in this instance start the mix again and get your drums and bass right together in terms of levels, only then add the guitars, and pan them out a little bit so there's some space. After that concentrate on the eq of the individual instruments so they sit together well, with nothing seeming to stick out too much.

Vocals wise, I'd speculate that you're quite new to singing? Firstly, I always respect anyone who gives it a go; a lot of people are too soft to even try. I'd say give it another go, and make sure you're not tired and are comfortable when you do it, and crucially you can hear properly when monitoring the recording (always helps!). I'd drop the distortion for now - it's just trying to mask the underlying tuning issues, which you need to get right first.. With a bit of practice at it it'll come..
I appreciate the mixing and singing pointers, as said earlier rock music mixing is not what I'm usually doing, or really mixing much at all for that matter hah. You hit the nail on the head as far as my singing. I did it knowing that it was going to be bad but I thought that it needed vocals and I'm not scared of hearing someone say they suck, because I know that it takes alot of time and practice to get that down just like any instrument. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to listen!
thecontrolcentre wrote:Nice idea, but sounds more like a rough demo than a finished tune. Could be really good ... it does have that late 90s John Peel indie "feel" to it.
Definitely a demo. That's actually the "aesthetic" of it all lol.

I wish you all a great day and take care!

LickBasil wrote:As for the mixing, this is probably my first mixing guitars and I'll be honest it's trickier than I thought!
I still struggle with them sometimes, even after many years - spiky bastards those indie geetars. You'll find that the problem frequencies are usually between about 1-4 khz, just nicely to get in the way of the vocals.. :x A decent wide cut in those areas is usually necessary I find.

donkey tugger wrote:
LickBasil wrote:As for the mixing, this is probably my first mixing guitars and I'll be honest it's trickier than I thought!
I still struggle with them sometimes, even after many years - spiky bastards those indie geetars. You'll find that the problem frequencies are usually between about 1-4 khz, just nicely to get in the way of the vocals.. :x A decent wide cut in those areas is usually necessary I find.
I'll definitely keep that in mind. Now that I think of it the lack of mids in the mix might be due to the speakers I'm using. They're home entertainment speakers, so they're anything but flat.

Return to “Music Cafe”