Hypersonic with Halion or Halion Sonic serial?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can remember, that there was an option to get Hypersonic 2 with the purchase of Halion or Halion Sonic.
Its several years ago but, does it work with the Halion 6 license also today?
And if, where can I get the installation Datas I need?

Cheers
classic

Hypersonic 2 (the installation data files I am not sure where you can legally download them however) worked with Halion license up to 5.
It doesn't with Halion 6. Steinberg support I believe would give you a Halion 5 license if you asked them nicely (if I believe you have upgraded from Halion 6 from a previous version)

rsp
sound sculptist

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/
Seems the only support left for the Hypersonic is for Mac

Recently I upgraded to Absolute 3 and still missing the simple effective Gui of Hypersonic2.. I'm going to email Steinberg, they might provide something.

phreaque wrote:ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/

Recently I upgraded to Absolute 3 and still missing the simple effective Gui of Hypersonic2.. I'm going to email Steinberg, they might provide something.
Hi I think those sadly are just the Universal Binary updates, so you still need the original installers.
rsp
sound sculptist

If you have any license consequent to the thing you want, the likelihood steiny will provide is good.

classic wrote:I can remember, that there was an option to get Hypersonic 2 with the purchase of Halion or Halion Sonic.
You're remembering wrong. Due to HALion 6 / HALion Sonic 3 adding soft-elicenser support, the HALion 6 license kills backward compatibility to previous versions. Which means you need to ask Steinberg to give you your old HALion 5 license back, in order to run older versions - where support goes all the way back to Hypersonic.

If you're coming in on a brand new HALion 6 license they could refuse. But, if you've upgraded from previous versions, they will supply you the second, older, license on request. Once you have that it will support Hypersonic 2.

As for "getting a hold" of the original discs, I suppose there's always Ebay or maybe even marketplace on KVR. It seems like it might be rare to (legally) find it by now..
zvenx wrote:
phreaque wrote:ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/

Hi I think those sadly are just the Universal Binary updates, so you still need the original installers.
rsp
Yes. That FTP download serves only as a plugin installer for Intel Macs, where you can then just copy the sample content across from the disc at that point. On Windows all you need is the original disc.

On Macs you then run into problem 2. The original "Set HS2 Content Location" app is also a PowerPC app, and iirc Mac OS dropped official support for Rosetta back in 2011 (Lion). However the plugin will try to set the folder location itself anyway. Great. Except..

That's when you hit problem 3. The plugin refuses to remember the content path and will ask every time it launches. This is likely because the plugin can't find/generate the relevant folder/plist file which the "set content path" app was supposed to create. If you search for "com.steinberg.plugins.Hypersonic 2.plist" you'll find a Steinberg forum post which gives some details of the XML file it's actually looking for, in order for you to recreate it in Library / Preferences. Note you'll need to use a command line or equivalent GUI program to set correct permissions afterwards, and I haven't tested if this stuff still works on High Sierra with APFS formatted drives yet.

Unfortunately, the bit bridge 32 Lives (which works great with most stuff) doesn't work with Hypersonic 2. However it'll run fine as a plugin in a program like Reaper.. Or at least it will until Apple remove 32 bit support entirely, which they'll probably do next year after OS 10.14. Time to welcome your new iOS overlords.. :wink:

Thanks a lot for your answer my friends.

Would have been nice to have it back but anyway I have so much stuff to make sound on my HD, I am not really in need of it:)

May be I find a seller on ebay.

Return to “Instruments”