[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

Wel I thought I'd have play with Sample One XT in the over bloated Hi-DPI stuck GUI on Windows 7 until it gets fixed version of Studio One 4.0 to explore what it could do. In the concept design I'd created of it which I've shown, I included a way to bounce the wave files, be that an existing one loaded in or those 'Captured' as I've put it or 'Recorded' as Presonus put's it, from the Sample One XT device to the track. I would have thought that this would have been possible, because I can't see the option for it....what have I missed ?
(Comparison images page 15)
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Answering my own question above, not in this version it seems. It requires hovering of the sample list, right mouse button clicking, selecting 'Show in Explorer', a clunky system btw, and then dragging it to the main track. Don't know why you can't just select them, right click and choose 'Bounce to Track', if there isn't space for another button on the GUI.

Another thing, there is no multi sample mixing that I can find with samples you have recorded within Sample One XT, and of course samples can't yet be colour coded for easy identification.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I may use the pattern editor at times because of its probabilities, sometimes I do use random dropins.
I was surprised how well it is hidden. At first I searched it. Putting it onto an editor lane feels weird, not sure though. I thought they hid it because they do not want people to insta rage like "awww it turned into fl studio *ugh* *agh* *hate*" :)

I think Presonus implemented the chord track in Studio One 4 partly in anticipation of ARA 2.

http://www.celemony.com/en/pm-ara2
With ARA 2, the exchange of information between DAWs and plug-ins is even more comprehensive, which makes additional applications possible. The new ARA 2 specification allows, among other things, the simultaneous editing of multiple tracks, the transfer of chord track information between the DAW and the plug-in, seamless clip borders that make the manual setting of crossfades superfluous, Undo interlocking with the DAW, and much else besides.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Looks like the audio chord detection is based on the open source Chordino VAMP plugin. You can try the plugin in Sonic Visualizer or Audacity and compare the results with S1. Exact same chords, exact same misses and mistakes!

Also the 'follow chords' in audio tracks is disappointing. It works well only with block chords. With broken chords and melodies it throws bizarre artifacts. For audio reharmonization Zynaptiq Pitchmap is far superior. It costs almost as much as S1 though!
Last edited by untimelyman on Tue May 29, 2018 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

It looks like VST3 (Full Version) is still in Cubase only.

What do you mean? That Cubase is the only DAW that makes use of the extended possibilities in VST3? Yes, that's true. Studio One fully supports VST3 as a format though.

My reaction is that as a pro user I expected more direct communication of the release and how much it would cost me. Instead I feel like there is nothing special about already owning it. Get in line pal...

After digging, it looks like it will cost me ~$200 to upgrade from Pro V3 to Pro V4. I might use some of the new features, but I already don't use a lot of what is in S1. And the supposed free vst effects is a huge pain in the ass because it's not just a download but a registration and serial number and it's time consuming so I don't use those either.

clangorous wrote: After digging, it looks like it will cost me ~$200 to upgrade from Pro V3 to Pro V4.
Costs $127 at JRRShop, when you apply the "Group" discount coupon…

Also wonder where you got the $200 from. Even on the Presonus site, it "only" costs about $150 to upgrade.

About them "communicating" the upgrade and general prices: They're exactly the same as for the upgrade to the former Studio One version.

untimelyman wrote:Looks like the audio chord detection is based on the open source Chordino VAMP plugin. You can try the plugin in Sonic Visualizer or Audacity and compare the results with S1. Exact same chords, exact same misses and mistakes!
Interesting. I was curious about that as well and assumed it was using this... https://licensing.zplane.de/technology#kort … but maybe both, as that may only be for detection, no idea.

Does some of the Studio One user base understand that Studio One is just not for mix engineers. Their are songwriters and music producers who are not professional mixers who like to use this DAW to make music also. Will they put notation in it, I don't know. Their general manager said in an interview the two will be separate notion and studio one. Presonus have stated this over and over. Digital Performer can handle that with video. Come back to version 5 or 6 if they have it. It make do what it can't do. You use the program that has that strength. This is getting tiring about this issue.

chk071 wrote:
clangorous wrote: After digging, it looks like it will cost me ~$200 to upgrade from Pro V3 to Pro V4.

Also wonder where you got the $200 from. Even on the Presonus site, it "only" costs about $150 to upgrade.

About them "communicating" the upgrade and general prices: They're exactly the same as for the upgrade to the former Studio One version.
Well for $127 it’s a no brainer. Thanks!
The $200 I quoted was from the presonus web site...I think it was $197 or something odd like that.

Oh... I only see the Euro prices, so, no idea. That seems high indeed.

I looked at the JRR shop, the group discount option requires a code, do you only see that if you have a registered account, because I can't see the discount being applied (the 15% off) if added to the basket)

$127 US is £95.95 - Normal pricing for Studio One Pro users is £112.

Another thing, the difference between what are classed as Pro feature upgrades are pretty much non existent when compared to Artist users. Last night I drew up chart to compare..I'll post later.

None of the features that separate Artist & Pro have been touched in 4.0 from what I can see... Three times the price for the same features as Artist = Poor value. Chord Track (Open Source Code) & Ripple Editing...hardly warrants it. AAF...is pretty much redundant if you're just using Studio One..

Nothing added in terms of video control, video clip viewing - syncing, nothing improved in terms of Step Time Recording (can't set predefined rest periods for example), nothing improved in terms of Scratch Pad..(management, how it's displayed). Nothing improved in regard to midi Input devices... not even any basic notation.. nothing improved in terms of Multi Instruments.... basically nothing has been improved for Pro users.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Tue May 29, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

THE INTRANCER wrote:Nothing added in terms of video control, video clip viewing - syncing, nothing improved in terms of Step Time Recording (can't set predefined rest periods for example), nothing improved in terms of Scratch Pad..(management, how it's displayed). Nothing improved in regard to midi Input devices... not even any basic notation..basically nothing has been improved for Pro users.
I didn't upgrade. You don't have to either.

Maybe in a few more releases I'll get something that will make the upgrade price worthwhile, but it's not there yet.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”