A Question for Nectar 2 Owners

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For those of you that have owned Nectar 2 for a while, do you still consistently use it? Did it become your go to, all in one tool for vocals and stay that way, or did you revert back to other trusted tools?
I ask because I am trying the demo and I like it a lot but I'm worried that it could be the kind of thing where there is a honeymoon period that soon enough wears off and then it just sits there collecting virtual dust.
It's currently on sale for $99, which seems like a pretty good price, but only if it actually proves to be useful.
Anyway, I would love to hear from anybody with long term experience with this tool. Thanks!

I have it and never use it - I just found out that - for my taste and situation - I could get much better results quicker when instead using other individual plugins - in other words: I just didn't manage to get a really good sound out of it. I have seen people especially praise the included Plate reverb, but I don't much like to sound of this one either. The only thing I find nice sometimes is to sing into the auto-correction and harmonizer.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:I have it and never use it - I just found out that - for my taste and situation - I could get much better results quicker when instead using other individual plugins - in other words: I just didn't manage to get a really good sound out of it. I have seen people especially praise the included Plate reverb, but I don't much like to sound of this one either. The only thing I find nice sometimes is to sing into the auto-correction and harmonizer.
Same here. In the past I have bought and sold both Nectar 1 and 2. I think in theory I like it, and there is an immediate wow factor when all that processing is unleashed on a track. But as jens said, I can never get exactly what I want and end up using individual plugins. I find I prefer choosing the exact EQ, reverb, compression, delay that suits the track. The main thing I wanted to use was the doubling but that's a lot of plugin just for a doubler.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Local Man wrote:For those of you that have owned Nectar 2 for a while, do you still consistently use it? Did it become your go to, all in one tool for vocals and stay that way, or did you revert back to other trusted tools?
I ask because I am trying the demo and I like it a lot but I'm worried that it could be the kind of thing where there is a honeymoon period that soon enough wears off and then it just sits there collecting virtual dust.
It's currently on sale for $99, which seems like a pretty good price, but only if it actually proves to be useful.
Anyway, I would love to hear from anybody with long term experience with this tool. Thanks!
It never became my go to for vocals. I'll sometimes use it on a lead vocal that needs lots of work. Outside of that I feel that is was not a great buy.
The CPU use is a bit high and the effects besides regular dynamics and EQ are a bit lame. The pitch correction works well so if you don't have a nice offline pitch editor then that definitely sweetens the deal.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Same here. I keep trying it but then end up reverting to single plugins chained.

Thanks for the responses. You guys are reinforcing my assumptions so I think I'll save my money.
It's not a bad plugin at all. I'm really liking the demo but ultimately I don't think I'd use it enough to justify the purchase.
I have tools and techniques for most of what's covered here that I'm already comfortable with (other than the de-esser and breath control which are very nice). The reverb is nice but not essential.
The reason I looked in this direction is because I'm looking for a good pitch editor but I think I'm going to go with melodyne for that. Even if I bought this I'd still probably end up getting melodyne and I don't think Nectar 2 is worth it on the merits of the rest of the package alone (at least not for me).
The presets are great but I usually don't like to use presets because then you have to build you're track around the preset for them really work (otherwise they just never seem to fit without so much tweaking that it defeats the purpose of using them in the first place). But if that's the way you work, the presets alone are probably with it at this price.

I like Nectar 2 for the doubling, harmonizing, and pitch correction that it offers. Some of the built-in effects for the vocal managling are also fun.

It's my cheap alternative to one of the more advanced versions of Melodyne, which I know are far better. But I can't really justify the money for Melodyone at this point for my experience level and hobbyist musings. Even for just those few tools, it’s a great deal when you can pick it up here for $60 on the FS forum.

I also have Melodyne Essential to help me understand my way around that software. I’m basically holding out with that for now until they release version 5 and do an upgrade sale. Until then, Nectar suits me just fine.

I ended up getting it just before Apple came up with Flex Pitch for Logic. It was more immediate and integrated so I tended to use it instead.

Although I have used the channel strip in thickening harmonies.

I’m just wondering that if you use the Pitch Editor, but then changed your arrangement, does that screw things up??

Return to “Effects”