Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
mikeparent
KVRer

20 posts since 18 Jun, 2008

Postby mikeparent; Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:26 am Rebuilding my Rig. Wanting to go full-on iPad-based.

Hello all. After my last band folded I got kinda bummed and "withdrew" from all things musical. I sold my old Muse Receptor and moved on with my life. After being away from all this stuff for like 4 years I recently got contacted by an old bandmate and I am getting the itch again.

Before my last band collapsed, I was using (in addition to my vocal gear as singing is my primary thing) an M-Audio Axiom Pro and a Roland AX-7 driving an *early* Muse Receptor. I have since sold off my Receptor but still have the Axiom and the Keytar.

For some time back then I was toying with the idea of an iPad-based rig. I just totalled up all the music app purchases I made back then and it shocked me so I figure with that investment, I owe it to myself (with a potential venture in the works) to revisit this.

iMIDIPATCHBAY *seems* to be the thing that was missing from the equation back in the day: a way to tie the apps into a cohesive setup with a controller.

So who out there is using iPads in a live setting and what has your experience been like? Receommendations? Pitfalls? etc.

Thanks!

Mike
mikeparent
KVRer

Postby mikeparent; Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:52 pm Re: Rebuilding my Rig. Wanting to go full-on iPad-based.

148 views and 0 responses. :(

So is no one doing this?
EdSevered
KVRist

412 posts since 24 Jul, 2013, from Wisconsin

Postby EdSevered; Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:16 pm Re: Rebuilding my Rig. Wanting to go full-on iPad-based.

Sorry, I can't help you directly.

But http://discchord.com/ seems to be the goto site for music creation on iOS devices. Hope it helps.
Gaslighting...is a form of mental abuse in which information is twisted or spun, selectively omitted to favor the abuser, or false information is presented with the intent of making victims doubt their own memory, perception, and sanity.
mikeparent
KVRer

Postby mikeparent; Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:54 am Re: Rebuilding my Rig. Wanting to go full-on iPad-based.

Thanks Ed! I will check them out.
siriusbliss
KVRAF

2488 posts since 5 Dec, 2005, from Bay Area, USA

Postby siriusbliss; Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:11 am Re: Rebuilding my Rig. Wanting to go full-on iPad-based.

On iOS check out AUM, Audiobus, MIDImux, and go from there...

G
Don't ask me, I just play here.
BiancaNeve
KVRian

620 posts since 19 Sep, 2012

Postby BiancaNeve; Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:01 am Re: Rebuilding my Rig. Wanting to go full-on iPad-based.

There's people on the audiobus forum using iPads live as well.
Instant human just add coffee
mikeparent
KVRer

Postby mikeparent; Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:11 am Re: Rebuilding my Rig. Wanting to go full-on iPad-based.

Thanks guys!
mikeparent
KVRer

Postby mikeparent; Thu May 17, 2018 5:33 am Re: Rebuilding my Rig. Wanting to go full-on iPad-based.

Just an update in case anyone finds this thread in search of answers for a similar problem. :)

For closing in on a year now, I have been in an all-80s dance/party band as the co-lead singer and secondary keys player. I have put together an iPad-based rig using:

Roland AX-7 Keytar -> Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth MIDI adapter -> iPad (2017)

Apps:
OnSong: for lyrics and setlist organization. When I switch songs it pushes MIDI PC messages (IAP) to the following synths:
Korg iM1: This is my bread and butter synth for *most* sounds I need
JimAudio Poison-202: Mostly for bass sounds
AudioKit FM Player: for all my FM needs :)
Korg iMonoPoly: Arpeggiations
Moog Model D: Replacing Animoog as my go to virtual analog synth
Fingerlab DM1: Percussion and FX samples

Aside from the occasional reboot required to get the audio working again it has performed flawlessly
bill45
KVRAF

2156 posts since 14 Jun, 2006

Postby bill45; Fri May 18, 2018 11:15 am Re: Rebuilding my Rig. Wanting to go full-on iPad-based.

Are you using an audio interface?
bungle
KVRian

1497 posts since 12 Mar, 2004

Postby bungle; Fri May 18, 2018 12:08 pm Re: Rebuilding my Rig. Wanting to go full-on iPad-based.

You shouldn't be needing a reboot to get audio going again, you need to find which of those synths is being a dick and get a replacement in.
If your plugin is a C++ creation, please don't say so.
If it is, pop round Marcos, he has just bought you a Mac to port it.
mikeparent
KVRer

Postby mikeparent; Fri May 25, 2018 5:21 am Re: Rebuilding my Rig. Wanting to go full-on iPad-based.

bill45 wrote:Are you using an audio interface?

Nope - straight out of the headphone jack to a stereo DI.
mikeparent
KVRer

Postby mikeparent; Fri May 25, 2018 5:27 am Re: Rebuilding my Rig. Wanting to go full-on iPad-based.

bungle wrote:You shouldn't be needing a reboot to get audio going again, you need to find which of those synths is being a dick and get a replacement in.

I am not sure if its even related to a synth. Occasionally I will pull out my ipad and have no audio whatsoever. Not after a synth session. I am not saying it isnt one of the synths but it *feels* more like an iOS bug.
bungle
KVRian

1497 posts since 12 Mar, 2004

Postby bungle; Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:48 am Re: Rebuilding my Rig. Wanting to go full-on iPad-based.

mikeparent wrote:
bungle wrote:You shouldn't be needing a reboot to get audio going again, you need to find which of those synths is being a dick and get a replacement in.

I am not sure if its even related to a synth. Occasionally I will pull out my ipad and have no audio whatsoever. Not after a synth session. I am not saying it isnt one of the synths but it *feels* more like an iOS bug.

That is not a bug i have heard about, and i cover lot of iPad stuff.
If your plugin is a C++ creation, please don't say so.
If it is, pop round Marcos, he has just bought you a Mac to port it.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Mobile Apps and Hardware