IK MUltimedia UNO Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UNO Synth

BONES wrote:Good, because my opinion is that you are wrong. Name one company that lists all the bad things about it's products when it is trying to sell them to you. Nobody does it so why would you expect IKM to be any different. You can't even trust the sound demos you've heard because you have no idea how much post-production has gone into any of it or how long and hard they worked just to get a handful of nice sounds to demo.

You have to remember that trade shows are run by marketing departments and you can't trust marketing departments. Ever. And if a company isn't big enough to have it's own marketing dept, they'll hire one for a trade show. You should consider any discomfort you feel as a life lesson. You'll know better next time.

Look at the image on that page - it is very clear that there is no way of assigning the LFO from the front panel. It's not IKM's fault if you don't do your due diligence. You can hardly expect them to give you a list of all it's limitations.
There's a difference here: It's a headline feature that you can't use without additional hardware. They took the trouble of caveating that with the ADSRs - but didn't with waveform modulation.

As for the panel labeling, are you seriously telling me you've never come across a synth where you access functions that don't have a printed front panel label for them?

As I said, it would have been logical to access using either the ALT key or toggling into a modulation mode by holding LFO/ENV and then turn the osc 1+2 knobs at the top - a workflow method they already employed for oscillator/noise level. Heck, there's even a "level" label below the wave knobs that would have worked as a description for this too.

I love the idea that it was possible to do due diligence on this based on a panel graphic. That's hilarious.

The webpage where you had to visit to pre-order also showed the panel graphic and was labelled "19 Synth Controls with 4 Knobs". The titles of the functions are beneath the knobs. The functions that are relegated to external cc are not listed on the panel. Perhaps you missed this when you preordered but the information was there.. prominent, clearly labelled and on the website at the time of preorder. It certainly was not hidden or obscured. We miss things sometimes - it isn't a deep character flaw. I can't find the mayonnaise in the refrigerator when it is boldy staring back at me yet still somehow I stumble through life.

You have some recourse here, talk to IK. Cancel the pre-order before it is too late and wait to reevaluate it when you get a chance to assess it in person if you are still interested. Life is good. :-)

OneOfManyPauls wrote: I love the idea that it was possible to do due diligence on this based on a panel graphic. That's hilarious.

So you just ignore the fact that Erik said it has waveform modulation, the spec page says it has waveform modulation - but it doesn't, unless you hook it up to an external device. Again, they made the need for that clear with ADSR - but chose not to with waveform modulation.

I wish you'd stop telling what I should and shouldn't do with my order. I guess you didn't read/understand my point before that it's possible to be unhappy with how something is being presented, but still be happy enough to continue with purchasing the product at the price point?

I was pointing out options because you seem so profoundly and deeply offended by the whole experience. If you prefer to be unhappy I will leave you to it. Life is good but it is also short. Cheers. - Scotty

I love how you are repainting my issues with the marketing of this product as being "profoundly and deeply offended by the whole experience". Not the first time you've done this, so I assume you're trying to exaggerate this for effect, in the hope of making my position seem unreasonable.

It's weird to be expected to like every last thing about the synth and its marketing to want to buy one.

I don't believe for one second that either you or Bones expected waveform modulation would need to be done via midi cc.

OneOfManyPauls wrote:There's a difference here: It's a headline feature that you can use with additional hardware. They took the trouble of caveating that with the ADSRs - but didn't with waveform modulation.
See the red portion - I fixed it for you.
As for the panel labeling, are you seriously telling me you've never come across a synth where you access functions that don't have a printed front panel label for them?
Sure but those synths have had a bigger screen that shows more than three characters. And they've all cost a lot more than $200 brand new.
As I said, it would have been logical to access using either the ALT key or toggling into a modulation mode by holding LFO/ENV and then turn the osc 1+2 knobs at the top - a workflow method they already employed for oscillator/noise level.
Sure, I agree completely but they haven't done that and it's obvious from looking at the front panel that they haven't, so it's not any kind of surprise.
Heck, there's even a "level" label below the wave knobs that would have worked as a description for this too.
Correct. Now you can see how informative it is to look at the photo before you get too excited.
I love the idea that it was possible to do due diligence on this based on a panel graphic. That's hilarious.
What I find hilarious is that anyone would pre-buy a synth based on a few audio demos posted on-line.
OneOfManyPauls wrote:So you just ignore the fact that Erik said it has waveform modulation, the spec page says it has waveform modulation - but it doesn't, unless you hook it up to an external device.
Which is to say, it does have those things, so when Erik said it he was telling the truth.
Again, they made the need for that clear with ADSR - but chose not to with waveform modulation.
I don't think that's the case at all. Yes, the ADSR thing came up but I don't think they deliberately "made it clear". It was actually after I read that here, because I hadn't noticed it anywhere else, that I made the effort to look at the front panel and made the other discoveries.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I don't know if you're playing devils advocate deliberately or just like to argue for the sake of it, but you get that you're basically in a position of defending the marketing practices you were talking about earlier vs defending clarity for purchasers?

Anyway, I've decided to try and cancel my order - it doesn't sit well with me rewarding a company that is behaving in this way.

Maybe shoot a PM to Peter to see if he can help you with the cancellation. I was checking on the account page and I see a "contact us" prompt" where my order is located but also a note that states "all sales are final". I do hope it works out for you and things get handled to your satisfaction. - Scotty
OneOfManyPauls wrote:I don't know if you're playing devils advocate deliberately or just like to argue for the sake of it, but you get that you're basically in a position of defending the marketing practices you were talking about earlier vs defending clarity for purchasers?

Anyway, I've decided to try and cancel my order - it doesn't sit well with me rewarding a company that is behaving in this way.

Thanks for the suggestion Scotty, but I'm happy to do this as a regular punter - I'm curious for how they're going to treat me.

Update: they refunded me with no quibble.

Excellent. If you ever decide to give it shot I'd be interested in your perspective on the unit. - Scotty

Thanks Scotty - I hope you enjoy yours when you get it. There's a strong chance I will still end up getting one at some point.

I wasn't really in the market for another mono synth when I started this thread, but thanks to Bones, I'm now giving serious thought to getting a waldorf rocket.

Please note that we have made a couple of updates. The numbered audio demos are now using a current UNO Synth unit (originals were using earlier units for Superbooth and similar). Click here to listen to the new audio demos.

We've also created a page with all of the available UNO Synth tutorial videos. More are coming and will be added to that page as they are available.

Thanks!

[edited typo]

For those interested in the filter section on UNO Synth. Check out the new addition, "Part 4: The Filter Section" to the tutorial series below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q4viLn9 ... e=youtu.be
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

Nice ... really liking the sound of the filter and the overdrive. Sounds different from my Moogs, Korgs and Arturias. It has its own vibe.

Ryan_IK wrote:For those interested in the filter section on UNO Synth. Check out the new addition, "Part 4: The Filter Section" to the tutorial series below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q4viLn9 ... e=youtu.be

Scotty wrote:Nice ... really liking the sound of the filter and the overdrive. Sounds different from my Moogs, Korgs and Arturias. It has its own vibe.
Definitely has its own vibe. I spent a solid hour or more just playing with UNO Synth uninterrupted last night (Erik Norlander brought some more units to our US office where I'm visiting as well) and the sound was definitely there and it is very intuitive to use.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”