Sound Particles introduces Doppler & Air plugins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Two new plugins that simulate the physical behavior of sound moving thru the air, Doppler and Air.

Very specific and sound design oriented (and expensive) but still I thought it’s worth mentioning, for the ones who might be interested into this kind of precise tools.

http://soundparticles.com/dopplerair.html

To Nuno (developer). Do you need a PHD in physics to use it like Sound Particles?
I like what Sound Particles does but it's interface puts me off like many others I know. It's over complicated for absolutely no reason.We want to turn knobs , move sliders and change presets on the go and hear the results, then move on or tweak, not enter numbers that that represent mathematical equations. Please redesign it with a friendly interface, it has a lot of potential that people will never find, a bit like Kyma. Of course, Keep the option of digging deeper somewhere in the background for people that have a lot of time on their hands and no partners.

I'm sure the Doppler sounds great :tu:

FWIW 'Air' just looks like a low-pass filter as a kind of distance control.

I was interested...until I saw the pricetag. :o

Russell Grand wrote:I was interested...until I saw the pricetag. :o
Yuuuuup :hihi:

I know :o
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

shilshoolon1 wrote:To Nuno (developer). Do you need a PHD in physics to use it like Sound Particles?
I like what Sound Particles does but it's interface puts me off like many others I know. It's over complicated for absolutely no reason.We want to turn knobs , move sliders and change presets on the go and hear the results, then move on or tweak, not enter numbers that that represent mathematical equations. Please redesign it with a friendly interface, it has a lot of potential that people will never find, a bit like Kyma. Of course, Keep the option of digging deeper somewhere in the background for people that have a lot of time on their hands and no partners.

I'm sure the Doppler sounds great :tu:
I totally agree with you, and I'm the creator of it...
But you need some context - the current version of Sound Particles was totally created by me, on my spare time - and without the resources of big companies, I had to choose between giving it full power (sacrificing the user experience), or to focus on the user experience (but highly limiting its power), and I chosen the first (probably a wrong decision). But now we are working hard to make it more easy to use... wait...

Regarding Doppler+Air, you get a very easy experience (I believe) - big knobs for the important things, smaller knobs for the less important things, only a few parameters to focus on the most important feature - the quality of the sound.

Have you heard the audio demos?

I know the feeling of seeing something great, and then look at the price and :?

But come on, guys, we need to pay the rent too... If you think the life of an audio professional is hard, try being an audio software developer, believe me!!
Some plugins can be done in less than an hour, but others take months and months of hard work, with several persons working on that - some $19 plugins are much more expensive than our $199 bundle.
And if music software market is small, sound designer marker is much smaller, which means that even if you have a successful plugin, you will only sell a few of them. Why should companies bother to create software for such niche audience.

We have been fair in this area, haven't we?
Sound Particles is less than $300 (when everyone told us to sell it above $3000-$5000 and focus only on Hollywood studios); we made Sound Particles free for schools, teachers and students; we released an unlimited trial...

Wait a moment... it looks easy to use. I don't have any PhD :P But basic knowledge about acoustics (which I guess every sound designer should know) + college level of audio production is all you need to understand what's going on there.
Maybe sound designers are from another planet because it's not as difficult to use as some other tools for sound designers :D

shilshoolon1 wrote:To Nuno (developer). Do you need a PHD in physics to use it like Sound Particles?
Really? Actually I find it really well designed and it just took me a single night with a good strong coffee and some tutorials to wrap my head around it and be able to comfortably use it. And no I don’t have a PHD nor an IQ of 145 :hihi:

Did you really put some efforts to learn it at least or you just opened it and gave up after 5 minutes?

Haha, I've used it on major projects but that's not the point. Neon Breath, you're an exception which is great and I'm super happy it works for you :tu: Apart from yourself the users I know share the same opinion. The interface needs a complete re design not to mention the option of going through presets instead of loading a new project per algorithm. There's a huge list of issues with a creativity killing design for a very creative tool but I'm not going to list those on a Friday night after a few glasses of red wine :D

I'm a big fan of Sound Particles, the interface sucks but I'm glad to hear that Nuno is on the case!

Damn prob have to pick this up soon... whats the licensing like? Can do ilok and elicenser but I aint gonna touch gobbler and shit like that ahahaha

Nuno, I’m one of those people that spend a lot of money on quality software. In my opinion you’ll probably make more profit with the doppler if you priced it at around $80 to $50, no offence I’m sure you worked hard on it and it sounds great but bundles that have great sounding dopplers and were developed over years sell for that price. Not sure who would be buying Air though.
Last edited by shilshoolon1 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

posted twice oops

Armagibbon wrote:Damn prob have to pick this up soon... whats the licensing like? Can do ilok and elicenser but I aint gonna touch gobbler and shit like that ahahaha
The licensing is either per-user or per-seat: you can either install it in all machines that you use (single user - all machines), or on a single machine with several users (single machine - all users).

I think that paying users should not be penalised by the pirate ones, as such, we didn't implemented any license control issue - we trust people...

Return to “Effects”