VCC 2 vs NLS

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I recently came up with the thought of adding some analog console touch to my truck. But I became undecided between Slate VCC 2 and Waves NLS. I have only been able to demo the NLS because I do have a iLok yet (I will buy one with VCC if I finally choose it). And I like the result. However, due to the lack of iLok, I have no idea of how VCC sounds. So I would really appreciate it if somebody could share some thoughts.

Thank you all! :tu:
Trance, Trance Is Life

No comparison! NLS adds congested, muddy saturation. Slate VCC not only adds subtle, genuine-sounding console vibe-y tone, but it "opens" the sound up.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

You should also consider Satson or Britson. I prefer both to VCC or NLS. Plus they’re a lot less expensive and don’t need an iLok.
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:You should also consider Satson or Britson. I prefer both to VCC or NLS. Plus they’re a lot less expensive and don’t need an iLok.
Again, the Sonimus stuff is only saturation - I wouldn't personally put them in the same category as Slate's excellent, deep component-modelling. I know the Slate goodies are expensive, but you sure do appreciate them when you finally pull the trigger. Besides, you'll often find them for less at plugindiscounts and audiodeluxe.
Jus' sayin' . . . *Grin.
Last edited by Brother Charles on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

Slate VCC not only adds subtle, genuine-sounding console vibe-y tone, but it "opens" the sound up
Hmmm...If slate's vcc is more subtle and can open the mix, I think I'm more leaned to it
You should also consider Satson or Britson. I prefer both to VCC or NLS.
Will try those! Thanks
I know the Slate goodies are expensive, but you sure do appreciate them when you finally pull the trigger. Besides, you'll often find them for less at plugindiscounts and audiodeluxe.
I am actually still in college so I have already applied for academic discount, but haven't heard back from them. Do you happen to know how much is the academic discount?
Trance, Trance Is Life

Also Airwindows, and the Brainworx TMT offerings.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

Brother Charles wrote:
djanthonyw wrote:You should also consider Satson or Britson. I prefer both to VCC or NLS. Plus they’re a lot less expensive and don’t need an iLok.
Again, the Sonimus stuff is only saturation - I wouldn't personally put them in the same category as Slate's excellent, deep component-modelling. I know the Slate goodies are expensive, but you sure do appreciate them when you finally pull the trigger. Besides, you'll often find them for less at plugindiscounts and audiodeluxe.
Jus' sayin' . . . *Grin.
I used to have VCC, and was actually one of the beta testers.

“Designed to emulate a console-based workflow (including metering, saturation, stereo crosstalk, and trim), Satson will help you mix faster and better. Our Satson plugin features a carefully modeled and calibrated VU meter, high quality high-pass / low-pass filters, and analog console-like saturation (including stereo crosstalk).“
You are currently reading my signature.

I have NLS, VCC but I use Nebula console emulations, specifically those from AlexB. I find them more authentic, nice sounding, and complimentary to the music than NLS for sure. VCC sounds somewhat "generic" in that it doesn't have much character other than fattening up the sound with higher harmonics - fine for that but for an analogue sound I prefer the AlexB stuff. I have demo tracks I can post if you want to hear. :phones:

I have the Slate stuff and VCC is pretty good. But in my opinion, VCC has a sound that I don't always love on the top-end. Hats and cymbals get crunchier or something. Maybe it's the aliasing, or maybe it's just the added harmonics, but I frequently find myself turning VCC off and enjoying the sound more. Haven't used it since Oversampling was added to VCC 2.0 so if it is aliasing I'm responding to, that may have already been addressed. On instruments with less high-frequency content, it can be just what the doctor ordered though.

I wouldn't buy too much into all this "console" hype. They're basically saturation plugins that are just emulating the line circuits in a console. So whether it's Slate's VCC or the Sonimus stuff, or the Arturia preamps (which are quite good), the Kush Omega preamps, Decapitator, Little Radiator (or the other SoundToys saturation plugins) or even the desk mode of SDRR, they all basically do the same thing: adding some combination of harmonics and changes to frequency/phase response. You're either going to like it, or not. So if you want a "console emulation" plugin, I'd suggest broadening the scope and including other saturation and preamp options. For my money, when I want some subtle channel saturation, the Arturia 3 Preamps or Kush preamps will usually do the trick for me without doing more harm than good. The nice thing with those 2 packages is there's a lot more tonal variety between the 3 Kush preamps or the 3 Arturia preamps than there is in the VCC consoles, so it's a less subtle effect, while also not being too heavy-handed.

The cool thing about Nebula is that they "sample" actual consoles and create a time variant capture of the actual console path. This not only includes the saturation of the console but also any variations in freq response and dynamics over time. In the digital domain this seems, to my ears, to give the most authentic desk sound. But you have to put up with the technical idiosyncracies and poor workflow aspects of it, alas. :phones:

plexuss wrote:The cool thing about Nebula is that they "sample" actual consoles and create a time variant capture of the actual console path. This not only includes the saturation of the console but also any variations in freq response and dynamics over time. In the digital domain this seems, to my ears, to give the most authentic desk sound. But you have to put up with the technical idiosyncracies and poor workflow aspects of it, alas. :phones:
Great point. I really like the Aqua Gold (Neve) desks for color. But yes, poor workflow/latency/high CPU. Then again, Nebula has come a long way since I first used it, so kudos to them for getting out something that resmeble and work like normal plugins.

Check Deff J’s presets for Airwindows Desk4 in this Gearslutz thread. More console emulation than you could ever use:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product ... c-vst.html

EDIT: Maybe a better link to just Deff J's posts:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product ... l?u=358760
Last edited by cturner on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

NLS: Ok, can more saturate with higher settings
VCC2: Gold standard (clarity, spatiality)

Nebula is IMO crap (worst workflow, CPU hog etc)
Sonitus Satson: a bit underrated but would be my second choice after VCC :wink:

cturner wrote:Also Airwindows, and the Brainworx TMT offerings.
Was confirmed by Brainworx that TMT is not the same as what NLS do (summing simulation)
Brother Charles wrote:No comparison! NLS adds congested, muddy saturation
Don't abuse it and use gentle then it will not muddy anything :wink: That was my first mistake why I did not liked NLS at the first time. Now it's in almost all of my mixes when I learned how to use it in proper way: for summing simulation not to saturate. For saturation there's tons of better plugins for that task

The only proper console emulation is Sknote Strip. This plugin emulates the console as a whole.

So do yourself a favor and skip crap like VCC.

Return to “Effects”