Hipass and lopass on single tracks

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I am wondering about using HP and LP, which are commonly recommended for giving room for all tracks.

I use HP on my vocal tracks to avoid rumble. But what about VST synth or rompler tracks? Aren't they already rumble-free? Do I still need HP, and if so then why?

And what about lopass? If I use them to carve out space, wouldn't that trash their harmonics and make the tracks duller?

Hmmm... :wink:

Thanks for any advice!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

It depends on the individual sounds and the mix. For exemple if there is a piano part and the piano is the only instrument for that part keeping the low end intact makes sense. A piano in a dense mix would probably be best with a highpass to make room for kick and bass. You can automate the highpass on and off between those sections.

For very low end you can use an analyser to sometimes see rumble you can't hear. Are all the lows accumulated too much for the mix or is it giving it a nice round low end ?
So it all depends on the situation I would suggest not to highpass by default but because the mix really needs it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MslNaNafyr4&t=4s
Last edited by Boone777 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

VSTs have the most rumble you can imagine. In particular, Vacuum Pro tends to always give strong DC offset. You've got spectrum analyzer to detect low rumble.

As to high end, use your ears. There can be still a lot of noise that doesn't contribute to sound, which can be low-passed. I do that especially on bass.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Tweaking the lowpass frequency down until it's only having a small effect is simple and effective at reducing aliasing also, if you plan on using distortion after.

camsr wrote:Tweaking the lowpass frequency down until it's only having a small effect is simple and effective at reducing aliasing also, if you plan on using distortion after.
Thanks. Not sure I understand this, but I am not much for distortion so perhaps this doesn't apply?
Go MuLab!

DJ Warmonger wrote:VSTs have the most rumble you can imagine.
I had no idea! :o But using the MAnalyzer, I surely see the rumble.
Go MuLab!

Boone,

Thanks a lot for the link to the movie. It really cleared things up (more than a highpass filter would :D).
Go MuLab!

I band-pass every channel and also use GClip, or similar, for removing errant transients.
It allows me more headroom....

https://www.samplecraze.com/tutorials/s ... -loudness/

Samplecraze wrote:I band-pass every channel and also use GClip, or similar, for removing errant transients.
It allows me more headroom....

https://www.samplecraze.com/tutorials/s ... -loudness/
Very nice and informative tutorial, thanks! When you say band-pass I assume you refer to highpass and not lowpass... or do you mean both?

It looks like all people have their own thoughts on this subject - some say highpass every track, others (almost) the opposite, some say leave the top untouched, others say lowpass everything but vocals (or EQ down the rest at least to make room for vocals shimmer), ...

It's really a bit confusing. :)
Go MuLab!

Hey Sparky, I meant both LP and HP.

SparkySpark wrote:
It looks like all people have their own thoughts on this subject - some say highpass every track, others (almost) the opposite, some say leave the top untouched, others say lowpass everything but vocals (or EQ down the rest at least to make room for vocals shimmer), ...

It's really a bit confusing. :)
That’s because it's completely dependant on the source material you are working with and the result you’re trying to achieve.
It’s a bit like asking how much salt to put in your food with out saying what the food is. Some needs alot, some needs none and some needs an amount between those two extremes.

Actually, and not trying to be difficult here, but it has nothing to do with taste or subjectivity. It is a simple engineering process we use to create headroom for the frequencies we want to best express. Band passing channels works because it removes all redundant frequencies.

SparkySpark wrote:But what about VST synth or rompler tracks? Aren't they already rumble-free? Do I still need HP, and if so then why?
Synths can create insane frequency material above and below your hearing. Definitely not "rumble-free".

Check out Warren Huart on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpyUGZ ... 57UACw3H2g

Excellent channel and he debunks so many myths and gives probably the easiest to follow advice I have stumbled across. He has a great tutorial on getting a great low end to your mixes.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Samplecraze wrote:Hey Sparky, I meant both LP and HP.
Ok thanks. I will try this. Thanks to the rest too! :tu:
Go MuLab!

Return to “Production Techniques”