What can we realistically expect in Bitwig v2.4?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Netsu wrote:They will sooner drop MacOS support than OpenGL. But they might be forced to write a separate GUI for Mac using Apple graphics library, and a separate GUI for Windows and Linux using OpenGL.
What a mess. I feel sorry for software developers.

Netsu wrote:They will sooner drop MacOS support than OpenGL. But they might be forced to write a separate GUI for Mac using Apple graphics library, and a separate GUI for Windows and Linux using OpenGL.
Or maybe go straight to Vulkan instead?

https://www.khronos.org/news/press/vulk ... -platforms
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Yeah, can't see any fix for GUI performance on Mac anytime soon. I imagine it will take a long while, probably a year or more before we see anything. Who'd be a software developer in the age of yearly OS updates?
MacPro 6,1 // Live 11 // Bitwig 4 // Reason 12 // Logic X // Soundtoys // U-he // FabFilter // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

I want piano roll improvements, audio to midi conversion, velocity tool, & a way to reskin the beast.

I'd personally like to see a round of bug fixes and performance optimisations (especially for UI) for the 2.x trunk, and leave new features for Bitwig 3. There always has been the need of this kind of cycle for most great software (remember Live 8?). Refinements on MIDI would be welcome of course (like some cool MPE improvements, or handing of multiple MIDI channels, ..), but given the complexity that's probably wiser to leave this but the next major version.

dodmcdund wrote:I'd personally like to see a round of bug fixes and performance optimisations (especially for UI) for the 2.x trunk, and leave new features for Bitwig 3. There always has been the need of this kind of cycle for most great software (remember Live 8?). Refinements on MIDI would be welcome of course (like some cool MPE improvements, or handing of multiple MIDI channels, ..), but given the complexity that's probably wiser to leave this but the next major version.
2.4 will be the next major version

pdxindy wrote:
dodmcdund wrote:I'd personally like to see a round of bug fixes and performance optimisations (especially for UI) for the 2.x trunk, and leave new features for Bitwig 3. There always has been the need of this kind of cycle for most great software (remember Live 8?). Refinements on MIDI would be welcome of course (like some cool MPE improvements, or handing of multiple MIDI channels, ..), but given the complexity that's probably wiser to leave this but the next major version.
2.4 will be the next major version
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Yes maybe you're right after all. But anyway, some good reading for general culture:
https://semver.org/

If you'd asked me if registered owner would have to renew their subscription to upgrade to 2.4, IMHO I would answer that's not a specially great idea (rather iterate to Bitwig 3).

dodmcdund wrote:If you'd asked me if registered owner would have to renew their subscription to upgrade to 2.4, IMHO I would answer that's not a specially great idea (rather iterate to Bitwig 3).
Are you paying for new version, or new features? Obviously I'd prefer to get both at once, but if I'd have to choose I'd prefer the latter.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

2.4 should be major release.......

this are major featues
1-groovetemplates per trackinspector like geist motu bpm korg e2
2-scenesnapshots ( mixer, vsti FX with snapshot-automation like maschine
3-recording in track (sceneview) without dummy clip like hardware pattern sequencer
4-erase funktion like mpc like groovebox

perfect for music-composition on instrument

do u mean groove track ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHKKNceqVmo
with midi fx devices before its out...
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

antic604 wrote:
dodmcdund wrote:If you'd asked me if registered owner would have to renew their subscription to upgrade to 2.4, IMHO I would answer that's not a specially great idea (rather iterate to Bitwig 3).
Are you paying for new version, or new features? Obviously I'd prefer to get both at once, but if I'd have to choose I'd prefer the latter.
Just underlining that it is wise to follow proven pattern from the Software industry or it can be deadly for your business. And I will personally not pay anything till I get some lights on new available features.

Either your promote major/minor versions. Features, versions and roadmaps are tightly coupled. Mess them up and you will confuse your users (like in this thread). What do Apple & Ableton advertise when they have a significant release? Live 10, Logic X, ...

The time-based subscription model is noticeably NOT using version numbers. Check what Adobe is doing with its Creative Plans. Or Roland Cloud, which advertises the availability of new instruments over new versions. It's best to obfuscate version numbers in this case and speak about the features.

Sorry for the parenthesis and back to the topic's thread :)

They still really need to make it much easier for users to save and backup, and share, Device Maps. The actual functionality is brilliant but I think there seems to be a general lack of knowledge of them, and limited usage, because while they are not that hard to make, they do take time and are hard to share and save/backup. Many people don't even know where to find them as they are hidden away. See here for context:

viewtopic.php?f=259&t=480998

Netsu wrote:GPU accelerated GUI and a sampler update would be great.
+1 :clap:
Bitwig

I would imagine that the next version will have some significant features, not only because it’s been a while, but because most people who paid the initial year with 2.0 have not yet had a reason to renew their upgrade year since the last update was included in the previous year. So this will be the first release where people will have to decide if it’s time to pay for a new year. So we can only hope they will want to impress.

Quack Quack wrote:I want piano roll improvements, audio to midi conversion, velocity tool, & a way to reskin the beast.
I would like these improvements as well.

Other than that I would really like a step sequencer, and the most important to me: gui improvements. I just can't handle this GUI at the moment. It's terrible and slow.

I have a ton of songs in Bitwig that I'm slowly working through but it's a painful experience. I won't be upgrading till the GUI is fixed that much is for sure.

I'm really annoyed with the DAWs I use ATM.

FLStudio 20 has all kinds of issues and it is extremely poorly designed IMO..somehow it's still fun to use when it works and you don't have to dig around for simple options.

Studio One is pretty good all around, but its new step sequencer (the only worthwhile feature in version 4 imo) is a nightmare and super buggy.

Bitwig 2 is amazing except the GUI is unbearably slow.

Right now I basically ask myself...which of these three annoys me the least today? I will use that.

Return to “Bitwig”