Elektron?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

I currently own a Korg Electribe 2 Sampler and a Novation Circuit, both of which I love. I see that the Elektron Analog Four (Mark 1) is available second hand for approximately $650-$700 now that Mark II is out. Am I better off going with a Digitakt or Synthstrom Deluge instead (neither of which, I believe, are analog) because of additional tracks? Would any of these choices give me better capabilities - especially in terms of driving other synths and hardware - than the Electribe/Circuit combination?

Thanks!

I love my A4 Mk1....buy one :-) Overbridge works fine for me on the MK1 which makes editing much easier and if you have (or get) any CV gear it is one of the best CV sequencers. Due to the P locks you can have a different analog sound on each of the steps, so it makes an amazing analog drum machine as well as a poly synth (4 voice) or 4 mono etc, obviously the sequencer is great as it is all Elektron gear, but I think you need a bit of analogue love ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

The mk1 machines at current second hand prices are one of the best deals around. They are great machines, if you get along with the UI.

I had an analog keys and I loved the sound and workflow but I never programmed my own sounds on it, always used the presets (thousands included).
dedication to flying

You’re looking at three totally different boxes. The A4 is an analog synth. Digitakt is a nice but fairly basic drum sampler (compared to Octatrack, anyway). The Deluge offers digital synthesis, sample playback, and powerful sequencing. All three are great at what they do, but it really is going to depend on your wants, needs, and how well you click with the workflow of each box.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I recently bought a second-hand A4 and it has exceeded my expectations in every way.. it sounds just amazing and the Overbridge VST is an integration that works many times better than my Virus TI ever has. I needed an analog polyphonic synth, and as such the A4 fills the gap nicely!
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

rod_zero wrote:The mk1 machines at current second hand prices are one of the best deals around. They are great machines, if you get along with the UI.

I had an analog keys and I loved the sound and workflow but I never programmed my own sounds on it, always used the presets (thousands included).
I didn't program my A4 much until overbridge came out and it beacame a very nice GUI (one of the best) for programing analog synth sounds, all the benifits of a VST with the real analog sound AND that step sequencer when you are in a hardware only mood.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fc48nn0f5pkgg ... B.jpg?dl=0
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:
rod_zero wrote:The mk1 machines at current second hand prices are one of the best deals around. They are great machines, if you get along with the UI.

I didn't program my A4 much until overbridge came out and it beacame a very nice GUI (one of the best) for programing analog synth sounds, all the benifits of a VST with the real analog sound AND that step sequencer when you are in a hardware only mood.....

That's exactly why I sold it, I ended programming from the VST and at that point I questioned myself why not simply use a plugin. I liked the sound but I don't think the elektron analog sound is really special to warrant the HW device vs using Diva for example. In fact I ended up with a Roland System 8 and to me it has an analog vibe much more to my liking.

But if you want a 100% HW setup they would be my first option (the Rytm first because programming it is simpler).
dedication to flying

Mine sits next to my Eurorack and is my hardware CV sequencer and CV interface and of course 4 analog synth and FX in and out (the FX can of course also be step sequenced so I have my eurorack go in to the A4, can add FX and record it to the DAW as an interface :-) the fact that I can program patches from my computer and sequence CV from my DAW is just a bonus :-)

Thank you everyone for your thoughts thus far - they are very helpful. Do I understand correctly that the Analog Four does not sequence via MIDI - just CV? If that is correct, this may be a deal-breaker for me. What about the other Elektron boxes (thinking specifically of Digitakt or Digitone)?

bharris22 wrote:Thank you everyone for your thoughts thus far - they are very helpful. Do I understand correctly that the Analog Four does not sequence via MIDI - just CV? If that is correct, this may be a deal-breaker for me. What about the other Elektron boxes (thinking specifically of Digitakt or Digitone)?
Octatrack is a midi sequencer (and sampler obviously)

From SOS Review:

The eight MIDI tracks are not simply add‑ons; they're fully functional in their own right. This MIDI step sequencer increases in power by mirroring some functions of an internal track: for example, it has LFOs capable of generating continuous controllers. Each step can trigger chords of up to four notes, and there's even a built‑in arpeggiator. In Live Record mode, you can play notes via an external MIDI keyboard and record incoming CC info. As a simple step‑time MIDI looper, this works splendidly!

The Octatrack's MIDI spec isn't too shabby either. Internal tracks can be remotely controlled, muted, soloed, and so on, and the Octatrack is equally happy to be master clock in your system, or a slave. The biggest limitation I found was the inability to select patterns via MIDI. This must be done manually from the Octatrack itself.

The biggest limitation I found was the inability to select patterns via MIDI. This must be done manually from the Octatrack itself.
I use the Octatrack in many facets. You can midi control the change of patterns with program change messages. I use Live 10.0.2 with and it is a little bit cumbersome, but once setup very, very flexible.

The Octatrack is a pretty sophisticated machine and I´m happy, it really has its place because of P-locks and the different thinking you apply when using this instrument.

My initial motivation was for playing patterns live but it also has its place in my studio (aka song creation) workflow. It can be addictive and you probably have a rather steep learning at the beginning.

Thinking about Elektron again - could somebody please advise the following:

1) Can the Digitakt play samples polyphonically? If I load a single cycle waveform, can I play this chromatically and create chords?

2) Are the sequencers on the Digitakt and the Digitone identical? I hear fantastic things about the Elektron sequencer, and am thinking that the Digitone may be a better fit for me given that I already have the Electribe sampler.

3) Obviously, a $750 Elektron FM synth will have significantly more features than a $150 Korg Volca FM, but in terms of the sound alone, given my current setup am I better off just getting the Volca if I am looking to add FM to my setup?

Thanks everyone!

bharris22 wrote:Thinking about Elektron again - could somebody please advise the following:

1) Can the Digitakt play samples polyphonically? If I load a single cycle waveform, can I play this chromatically and create chords?

2) Are the sequencers on the Digitakt and the Digitone identical? I hear fantastic things about the Elektron sequencer, and am thinking that the Digitone may be a better fit for me given that I already have the Electribe sampler.

3) Obviously, a $750 Elektron FM synth will have significantly more features than a $150 Korg Volca FM, but in terms of the sound alone, given my current setup am I better off just getting the Volca if I am looking to add FM to my setup?

Thanks everyone!

1 - No you'll need to load up a chord sample or resample the Digitakt.. i.e put a saw etc on track 1, 2 and 3 tune them on the first note i.e 0 - 3 - 7 sample that then cut, save sample and assign to track. That whole process takes all of a minute to do if that.

2 - I have the 2 of them set up now and have been playing all day, sequencers are basically the same BUT you can play chords and have Unison on all tracks in Digitone (depending on polyphony of course. You can do clever stuff tho like different sounds per step

If you can afford both machines then go for it.. get other modules in future as both these can sequence 8 midi tracks and the P=Locks work with midi too

Rob

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Digitone. Had never really looked at the Elektron stuff but have been trying to settle on a hardware FM synth for a couple of years. When I started looking at Digitone videos I realised it was pretty much what I wanted in a hardware FM synth plus it also gives me that Elektron sequencer. I went off the idea of buying an old synth as that would likely require editing via software. In which case I might as well use a VST.

The Volca is probably fine for bass or leads, but the three note polyphony is one of it's major limitations (for me at least). No aftertouch is another and no velocity over MIDI without hacks is yet another. Yeah it's cheap, but for an FM synth I think it's too cheap on features. That's not to say you can't get good sounds out of it. If none of my complaints are your complaints, check out Cuckoo's video of the Volca FM. He shows off what it's capable of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFfdOq9rvLc
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”