A question to People who have used lots of different DAWS and effects

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i use valhalla as go-to reverb. i also use Eos when i want a quick effect without having to do to much knob-twiddling. ( Eventide Black Hole is amazing to)..

Not to play the party pooper, but it's absolutely beyond me what people see in the Valhalla reverbs. Average for me, at best. I know i'll get a lot of hate for that, because, yo, cool guy with cool business ethics, and sh**, but, frankly, i don't think i'd pay more than the asking price for those anyway. Just didn't work at all for me (i owned VRoom, and VVV). There are reverbs which sound infinitely sweeter to my ears, TBH.

i forgot to mention some others i rate:
112db Redline
TB Reverb.. this i am beginning to use a lot : )

chk071 wrote:Not to play the party pooper, but it's absolutely beyond me what people see in the Valhalla reverbs. Average for me, at best. I know i'll get a lot of hate for that, because, yo, cool guy with cool business ethics, and sh**, but, frankly, i don't think i'd pay more than the asking price for those anyway. Just didn't work at all for me (i owned VRoom, and VVV). There are reverbs which sound infinitely sweeter to my ears, TBH.
Personally like their layout and immediacy, especially on Plate, also can reach quick and good results with VVV too, but mind you I'm not reverb expert or my reverb needs are high, I seek something that will get me from A to B quickly, lately I don't really like to mess too much with production aspect and effects, so immediacy is the most important to me, most of the times I just use Spire built in reverb and even when I want to replace it end up just keeping it.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:most of the times I just use Spire built in reverb and even when I want to replace it end up just keeping it
No shame in that. As i wrote in other posts already, it's pretty excellent, especially for the kind of tones you get out of Spire. :)

chk071 wrote:
Zexila wrote:most of the times I just use Spire built in reverb and even when I want to replace it end up just keeping it
No shame in that. As i wrote in other posts already, it's pretty excellent, especially for the kind of tones you get out of Spire. :)
Yeah 8)
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I still maintain mixing in Samplitude for me was the absolute pinnacle of what mixing should be on a DAW.

The included FX are phenomenal, the transparency of the audio engine is phenomenal, I've not met a daw like it for mixing.

Previous history (in order)
- Fruityloops (as it was called back then)
- Cubase SX1, SX2 then SL3
- Over to Ableton Live 6 and 7
- Back to Cubase 7 to 8 Pro
- Jumped to Magix Samplitude X2, X3
- Then Studio One Pro 2

And currently Mac with Logic Pro X

I'm very happy with the Mac setup and Logic Pro for producing couldn't go back to anything else, for producing. Except Samplitude if I was SOLEY just mixing/mastering. Heck had it been more stable for producing I'd not be on a Mac now using Logic! (Old history, won't rehash here)

I feel qualified to answer as the above list represents my main daws of a number of years spent with each

Coxy wrote: I feel qualified to answer as the above list represents my main daws of a number of years spent with each
How would you rate each DAW in your list?

Not only regarding stability, but also in terms of ergonomy? :?:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

EnGee wrote:
Zexila wrote:Do check out Valhalla Plate, such a fast pleaser. 8)
All of them are nice ones! If I want to buy two for now, they would be Vintage Verb and Shimmer. But both together are $100 which is not cheap for me. The developer should consider making a bundle sale!
You should really try OrilRiver and Sanford Reverb. Two outstanding reverbs (32+64 bit vst) for free! No need to buy anything for pretty high quality reverberating these days :)

MuTools MuVerb is a free one that I also like and use a lot.

That said, yes I do also own the Valhalla Reverbs and Eos and Hornet Spaces, etc. But I think if I really had to, I could perfectly live with only using the free ones mentioned above.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Love Valhalla stuff here.

Love SPIRE synth, but feel the Reverb on it is shockingly bad if it were a reverb unit on it's own.. however the reverb works incredibly well with Spires snappy, spiky, mid-range tone so it actually complements the synth very well.
Sample Packs, Synth Presets, VST plugins, Effects and Synth VSTs all available at https://www.sound7.co.uk

enroe wrote:
Coxy wrote: I feel qualified to answer as the above list represents my main daws of a number of years spent with each
How would you rate each DAW in your list?

Not only regarding stability, but also in terms of ergonomy? :?:
Considering the DAW as a whole package and what it brings to the table as a package in terms of content, UI, ease of use, focus, stability etc.

On quick fire gut feel with 10 being best 1 being crap.

Cubase 8.5
Logic 7.5
FLStudio 6
Samplitude 6
Live 7
Studio One 8

I use Logic as for me the things it's very good at are high up my priority list, the things it's not always great at for me are down on my priority list so for me Logic works for how I currently work.

However if I had different priorities (and that can change based on who you are, type of use, genre working on, etc) then I'd be using the appropriate DAW to suit those priorities.

SOUND7 wrote:complements the synth very well.
Exactly, I always try to change it for 3rd party one, but it just sounds appropriate, maybe I got used to hearing it as part of that sound, so it grows on me, could be.

SOUND7 wrote: Love SPIRE synth, but feel the Reverb on it is shockingly bad if it were a reverb unit on it's own.. however the reverb works incredibly well with Spires snappy, spiky, mid-range tone so it actually complements the synth very well.
Interesting. How are you supposed to judge the sound of it though, when you can't feed some other audio signal into Spire?

I did some A/B testing with other reverbs on Spire. I think it were TAL-Reverb-4, TAL-Reverb-3 and TB-Reverb BE. Couldn't really replicate the sound of Spire's reverb. I find it really pristine, clear, and high end sounding. The Plate 2 algorithm is another story, i didn't find that one nearly as good as the Plate 1. In general, i had a hard time trying to make other reverbs as clear. Maybe a matter of taste, i know that some prefer really dark, muddy, and modulated sounding reverb tails.

chk071 wrote: I never heard a reverb in any DAW from the ones i tried (Cubase, Studio One, Reaper, Reason, Podium, FL Studio etc.) which can match a good third party reverb
Coincidentally, the best reverb i ever heard in a DAW is Reason's RV7000. That's surprisingly good. :D
this i agree with.
but to me the differences are more noticable in synths than in fx. daw delays and phasers sound just fine to me, and don't hold me back in the slightest, but the reverbs... yeah it's worth splashing out on a couple of those.
hmm maybe i just don't listen close enough to hear all these differences people talk about, or maybe my bus and send routing is just so over the top, it doesn't even matter

For EQ's or compressors, i wouldn't know either (even though, especially, some synth's onbvoard EQ's sound just horrible...). Phasers, Chorus, or Delays, i definitely think i hear some differences in terms of quality. Or... perfceived quality, because the third party stuff just suits my taste better. ;)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”