USB hub that will keep ipad charged while using Audio/MIDI over USB?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for something hopefully under $50 that will keep my ipad charged while I use it in my studio. I cannot plug the ipad directly into my mac pro, as the computer is too far away (reducing computer sound while recording) and my USB hub, while allowing for the ipad to transfer midi and audio via USB, does not charge the ipad while in use, so I run out of battery very quickly.

Anyone know of any USB hubs that will keep an ipad charged (or at current battery levels) while using audio & midi over USB? The only ones I've found that say they charge an ipad only do so when the hub is not transferring data and/or they have charge only ports, so it wont work for my needs.

edit: I'm running a 2009 Mac Pro and an iPad Pro 9.7 running iOS 11

No it cant b done, you need a CCK with USB and charging.
Duh

This adapter: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W ... r?fnode=91 will let you connect a USB hub and the iPad power connector.

It is not a data connection to the computer and cannot host one on the Lightning connector.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

So if I get the Apple MK0W2AM/A Lightning To USB Camera Adapter, I will be able to run IDAM (audio and midi) via my lightning cable from my ipad to my USB hub connected to my mac pro, and then also somehow power the ipad? Unsure how it would work in practice and must admit I'm confused by the single picture on apples site. Also unsure if IDAM only works via the lightning cable or if it will still work with the camera kit plugged in.

Thanks for the help! Appreciate it!!
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

Yes, the CCK has USB and charging (Like i already replied) the charging is via lightning.
Duh

bungle wrote:Yes, the CCK has USB and charging (Like i already replied) the charging is via lightning.
Thank you, but my question is specifically can I still use the IDAM protocol with the CCK. Sorry to be picky, but this is what I'm still not sure about, as I'd now be using USB to USB for the data, correct? How are you personally using the CCK to get the audio and midi into your computer's DAW, assuming you are not using IDAM?

Sorry for the questions, I just dont want to purchase something that wont do what I need, or worse miss something that does. Maybe it would just be easier to get a really long lightning cable, haha.

Thanks again for your time and help!
Inter-Device Audio Mode + MIDI. IDAM allows you to connect your iOS device to your macOS computer with the lightning-to-USB cable. You Enable IDAM via Audio MIDI Setup on your computer. IDAM, prior to iOS 11’s release, is a 2 Channel 48khz audio pipe from iOS to OS. IDAM, with iOS 11 will get a Class Compliant Audio & MIDI addition. Class Compliant with USB Audio 2.0 (Note this is not USB 2.0), and with USB MIDI Class Compliance 1.0. So now when IDAM is connected the iOS device becomes a Class Compliant USB MIDI Host, Receiver, or both. Class Compliance means 16 MIDI Channels between OS and iOS, and as well a separate MIDI Host Port. As previously, sync and charge will still work with IDAM enabled. Your iOS device, in addition to the 16 MIDI Channels, should also list itself as a MIDI input/Output on your OS Daw or anything with send/receive MIDI.
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

Pretty sure i said yes, but just in case, yes IDAM works.
How do i get audio in to the computer, I don't, if i write music on the iPad i stem it.
Duh

Well, I purchased the official apple camera adapter, plugged the lightning side into power and the USB into my USB hub connected to my computer, and the computer doesn't recognize the ipad anymore in audiomidi setup. Unplug the camera kit, plug in a lightning cable into the same USB hub connected to my computer, and the ipad is recognized.

Any ideas?

Incase anyone finds this in the future, IDAM (as of now) only works with directly lightning to computer connections, and does not work with the camera kit. Also lightning cables longer than 13 feet dont exist, and no USB hub will both charge your ipad and transfer data to your computer at the same time.

Seems I'm personally stuck unless I purchase separate powered USB hub, and run separate midi and audio interfaces for my ipad via the camera kit (so I can still charge the ipad) which then connect to my studio setup. This all seems like a large expense in order to integrate a $5 ipad synth into my DAW setup.

Of course those of you who run laptops or have your computer near by can get by just fine with the provided lightning cable and IDAM. I guess this is how I will work as well, and keep an eye on my battery life on the ipad as I work. Though I wonder if some sort of USB extender exists that will charge an ipad while in use? Probably do for USB-C or USB 3, but my mac pro is a 2010 "cheese grater" and still on usb 2, but maybe I'll get lucky...

Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

Sorry, I hadn't seen this thread again for a while and I missed your search for a clarification on what you wanted vs what the USB 3 adapter or CCK offers. I didn't know you were trying to use the Inter-Device Audio function. Had I seen your post where you asked for clarification, I might've saved you the cost of the adapter. Sorry for not keeping up with the thread! :-( :-( :-(

When using the USB adapter, the iPad becomes a host for USB devices and cannot be a client. There seems to be no way for USB devices to be both at the same time.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Have you tried a USB extension cable? You could hypothetically connect the iPad's lightning to USB cable to a USB extension and the extension to your computer. Then you'd have power and inter-device audio.

Amazon sells these and I've bought two myself (10', I think). Surely they're manufactured by other companies so you shouldn't have to give money to the Amazon monster to get one.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I've been going direct out from my iPad headphone jack, to a Yamaha MG10XU mixer to my iMac. I also use an iConnectMIDI4+ for routing USB and DIN MIDI across controllers and to my mixer and Mac. Last night, I finally got around to using the ICM4+ USB for audio out from my iPad Pro. The audio from the headphone jack is no longer connected. The difference in sound quality is night/day. No noise now...period. I don't regularly record / use my iPad music apps, so it hadn't been important enough to spend time on. After getting things setup though... i am kicking myself for not doing this sooner. The ICM4+ was not cheap -- but charges the iPad, and provides MIDI routing and integration (and audio routing too). The difference between routing audio directly out from the iPad's headphone jack to a mixer/DAC to using an USB audio routing device like an ICM4+ was seriously night/day. With the later -- noise is gone. Not just noise from cabling... but headroom / noise from having to re-process an already processed audio signal. There's a good thread on the iConnectivity forums explaining the difference, which I wish I had read / understood sooner.

jdoo wrote:I've been going direct out from my iPad headphone jack, to a Yamaha MG10XU mixer to my iMac. I also use an iConnectMIDI4+ for routing USB and DIN MIDI across controllers and to my mixer and Mac. Last night, I finally got around to using the ICM4+ USB for audio out from my iPad Pro. The audio from the headphone jack is no longer connected. The difference in sound quality is night/day. No noise now...period. I don't regularly record / use my iPad music apps, so it hadn't been important enough to spend time on. After getting things setup though... i am kicking myself for not doing this sooner. The ICM4+ was not cheap -- but charges the iPad, and provides MIDI routing and integration (and audio routing too). The difference between routing audio directly out from the iPad's headphone jack to a mixer/DAC to using an USB audio routing device like an ICM4+ was seriously night/day. With the later -- noise is gone. Not just noise from cabling... but headroom / noise from having to re-process an already processed audio signal. There's a good thread on the iConnectivity forums explaining the difference, which I wish I had read / understood sooner.
The hardware looks great but their routing software looks like garbage and has bad reviews. How are you finding it?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: The hardware looks great but their routing software looks like garbage and has bad reviews. How are you finding it?
Good (and timely) question. Timely, because the iConnectivity folks are releasing a new version of their routing software "Auracle" this week. Honestly don't know if it is any easier to use than the existing iConfig software. The new software is supposed to be easier to use / comprehend. The old software (iConfig) is pretty complicated to wrap your head around. Like most folks - I also struggled getting the MIDI routing setup for my system. Once done.. I had few issues. Audio routing of what's coming out of the iPad Pro was the last mile for me. I have that working now... so I am reluctant to mess around with their newer (easier) software. :)

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”