Waves

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm seriously disappointed and frustrated with all things Waves at this point. What should be a simple update, turns in to me not being able to use ANY of the plugins I've purchased, and paid to update. Updating software should never be this difficult. The Waves Central software is absolutely terrible. If you are not a Waves user, do yourself a huge favor and avoid ANY Waves products like it's the plague. NO other effects software that I own is as much of a hassle, and to be honest, there is nothing at all special about any of the Waves products that I own.

The biggest shame about Waves Central (and Native Access, for that matter) is that it's not rocket science to develop an intuitive software installer/updater. (Waves Central can't even update itself fercrissakes.)

It is very basic, well-documented stuff for both Windows and Mac OS, but Waves and NI both keep finding innovative new ways to fail at putting customers' products on their machines.

You shouldn't need to be an engineer in order to install products you paid for. (I _AM_ an engineer, by the way, and I've literally had to write my own applications to manage both my Waves and NI products... work that they should have done, not me.)

waves central blue screened my pc last time I installed it and support will want you to install team viewer on your computer even though it has been compromised before and the company denied it and put the blame on the users I don't think its a good idea to pay for this privilege

kb420 wrote:I'm seriously disappointed and frustrated with all things Waves at this point. What should be a simple update, turns in to me not being able to use ANY of the plugins I've purchased, and paid to update. Updating software should never be this difficult.
Exactly the same here. Spent last 2 hours rescanning entire cubase directories and getting seriously p***ed off :bang: :-x
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

The update wants to update all plugins even if they arent eligible for free update, why not a simple updates available tick the boxes of those you wish to update. VERY VERY Disappointing for such a well known company.

devilnishy wrote:The update wants to update all plugins even if they arent eligible for free update, why not a simple updates available tick the boxes of those you wish to update. VERY VERY Disappointing for such a well known company.
Go to your Waves Account and there's an option to tick the boxes of those you wish to update. After that open the Waves Central and those plugins are listed there on "My License Cloud" and they're ready to be installed and activated. I had no issues, only a pair of sweaty palms during the installation...
Optimal number of audio plugins is one more than you currently have.

I find it odd, because I have rarely had a problem with Central. It had teething issues in the early days, a lot of software does. Now there is this V10 thing that have screwed up a few people.

Usually it’s either because the V9 version of the plugin is still present along with the V10 version, it’s beeen messing some people up. Also people hitting that “update” button without realising they don’t have a valid WUP for V10 plugins. Those are two of the big things that will screw you up.

I’ve updated Central recently to find that all it’s available “updates” are V10. Since I’m not jumping on board at the moment, I won’t be installing any updates for a while. That’s not entirely a bad thing.

I have all v9 plugs, not interested in updating any of them to v10 at this point. However if I, say, then bought Shiny New Plug from Waves, this would be v10. What is likely to happen when I next run Waves Central? Any cast-iron tips to avoid a plugin massacre?

(If the answer btw is to wait until the dust has settled, that's fine by me).
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote:(If the answer btw is to wait until the dust has settled, that's fine by me).
This. Don't go anywhere near it for a long time.
Anything I buy now will remain inactive for a while.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Updated some of my licenses to v10 at Waves website but had v9 still installed.
Installed latest Waves Central (without running it), started Reaper, dialog about missing license, crash.
Not even a crash notification, straight to macOS.

Don't waste time on the details. That's what I call effective. :)

I think the trick with Waves is to work towards a bundle, just purchase something here and there that's on the list when the price is right. Every once in a while when they have a promo (when don't they have one...) maybe consider upgrading to smaller bundles - because upgrading includes free WUP renewal. Just not the silly bundles that you can't use to upgrade away from the next time, like SSL or API.

I spent around $140 in total for this WUP round, which is a lot for a cheapskate like myself. Didn't really plan on spending that much, but wth, some of my Waves licenses went out of WUP 6 years ago, and now I have a brand new v10 Horizon bundle. Plus the extras that are not part of the Horizon bundle and didn't vanish in the upgrade. Plus (no joke) 39 extra plugins that came with the Horizon bundle, none of which I owned separately before I upgraded.
A lot of them are stocking fillers, bloat that'll stay unused here forever, sure. PAZ. The piano. GTR.
But still. Damn good value. So far.

The tricky part will be picking something to upgrade to when the next WUP cycle arrives, hopefully a long time from now. Purchasing straight out WUP for the Horizon bundle would be around $150 again, and I think that's only if I don't wait longer than a year and let it "collect" another couple of years on top. Plus of course the WUP for everything that I have besides the Horizon now, like SSL and API and so on. That's gonna be a hefty bill... unless there's something nice to upgrade to by then.
Confucamus.

So, let me get this straight... (my computer crashed and I'm rebuilding from scratch)

- Goto Waves.com website and "Update to Latest Version" to move your eligible plugins up to V10
- Download latest Waves Central and install only your new V10 plugins (refer to list in your account on Waves.com), regardless of what it shows is available
- Download the legacy installer(s?) for your V9 plugins

Is that how you do it?

Don't WUP, and I'll never support Waves in the future. Shady company. I don't even touch the freebies they give away from time to time.

Better alternatives available. Vote with your wallets people.

noiseboyuk wrote:I have all v9 plugs, not interested in updating any of them to v10 at this point. However if I, say, then bought Shiny New Plug from Waves, this would be v10. What is likely to happen when I next run Waves Central? Any cast-iron tips to avoid a plugin massacre?

(If the answer btw is to wait until the dust has settled, that's fine by me).
Just install any new plugins and try to keep them up to date,if possible, but don’t update the version 9 plugins. Not without a valid WUP anyway.

Return to “Effects”