Oscillators in VSTi?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

“It” is synthesis. Few calculate per cycle since sylenth.

For the sake of completeness I would like to add that Manuel from Vengeance (member "msvs" on KVR) answered my question about the ocillators in Avenger.
Here are some excerpts from the discussion in this thread (pages 491 and 492):
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... start=7350)
teacue wrote: I would like to know how a factory VA-Shape is produced within Avenger?
Is it live calculated (computed) with an algorithm?
Is it precomputed with a lookup table?
Is it a sample of a single cycle wave?
Something else?
msvs wrote:all of these
you can create a snapshot of the current shape anytime, just rightclick on it and "save as shape"
teacue wrote: When you write "all of these" do you mean that for example the factory basic shape "Square" is at the same time computed with an algorithm, precomputed with a look up table and at the same time a sample of a single cycle wave?
If yes, I have difficulty to understand as I thought these were three different ways to create an oscillator!
I also try to understand the difference between a single cycle wave that I can draw by myself then make a sample of it and use in Avenger and the same wave but this time calculated from a formula/algorithm.
And I wanted to know which waves/shapes in Avenger are calculted with an algorithm and which are sample from the beginning.
msvs wrote:sorry but I wont list you thousands of shapes now and name their creation method :wink: .
Like I said, its no magic.
It does not matter if they are drawed, from samples or calculated, the result is the same.
Look at it in the graphical way, your shape describes the movement of your speaker membran around the zero crossing.
Which pencil you use does not matter. Important is, that once they are imported into our engine, you have several possibilites with them (bend, crush, formant etc) you dont have with samples
teacue wrote:OK, shapes have been created in any kind of way, then they have been imported and converted in Avengers engine.
But could you tell in what they have been converted?
I mean in Avenger engine they are not samples any more but what are they?
Do they become an equation? A formula? An algorithm?
msvs wrote:Well I dont know the technical / methematical terms, I would have to ask this my programmer.
But I know, that they are converted into a wavetable with 1 single table
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

whyterabbyt wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I have difficulty understanding what makes a sine sound like a sine in the first place.
Nothing makes that happen. That's how sine waves sound. Might as well ask what makes blue look blue; blue is the name for how blue looks. 'sine' is the description of a specific property, the property is intrinsic to things thus described.
Actually Blue is the name for the way that a sine(ish) wave looks if it is in a specific range of visible light frequency, rather than the audio rate frequencies we are discussing.

A sine wave sounds like a sine wave because it is a periodic wave with no overtones or harmonics.

ShawnG wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I have difficulty understanding what makes a sine sound like a sine in the first place.
Nothing makes that happen. That's how sine waves sound. Might as well ask what makes blue look blue; blue is the name for how blue looks. 'sine' is the description of a specific property, the property is intrinsic to things thus described.
Actually Blue is the name for the way that a sine(ish) wave looks if it is in a specific range of visible light frequency, rather than the audio rate frequencies we are discussing.

A sine wave sounds like a sine wave because it is a periodic wave with no overtones or harmonics.

This was a fantastic post because actually, Shawn is right, but only because of the frequency. If it was red, you wouldn’t be able to hear it LoL. Nice deductive work there Shawn.

Up... shoot, I jumped the gun with Shawn...you are making me look bad. Colors are measured in THZ. A sine is no color at all because it’s too slow by a mile. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visible_spectrum

I’m having a one man party over hear—- er here—- I’m laughing so hard.

Thz is just the frequency unit of measure (tera hertz) although light is generally measured first by wavelength in nanometers, visible light waves are the same physically as audio waves (and RF waves etc...) and they are generally all sines in theory. its all waves, just some we hear, and some we see. (and most we don't sense at all)

Yes sir, I’m very familiar with theoretical physics. Colors are way beyond sound waves.

A photon is so energetic it acts as both a wave and a particle BTW. We are getting into quantum particle physics, which is where I would place photons. In the end it comes down to energetic strings that pop from alternate universes according to known physics (no lie). 11 dimensions according to string theory.

You guys are so missing your opportunity for the mind blown gif right now.

I’m going to get back on topic before I disappear and go make a steak. If you want georgious oscillators. I’ve Always said ACE was one of the most advances oscillators I’ve ever heard. The filters need an update... granted. They can be whiny by my definition. The oscillators and lfo’s are brilliant though. Timeless still. I only use 6 synths and a sampler to date and ace is one of them.

Return to “Instruments”