First Light

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yesterday was the summer solstice, which inspired me to write this little ambient soundscape. The little storyline in the SoundCloud description will give you an idea of what I was trying to achieve https://soundcloud.com/biodiode/first-light
I invite you to 'voyage' over to https://adrianearnshaw.com, sign up for some fun e-mail 'blasts', and look forward to helping you launch your ears - and projects - into the stratosphere.

First thought, distorted/saturated sound at the beginning of the piece would have been ñice more centralised, before spreading out, like the rays of the sun. Its quite JMJ meets modern trance with hints of new age :) you seem to have the hats and perc very much in the middle and possibly a little too much spread on the other elements, then the bell type sound comes central, maybe until that point have the other elements a little bit more evenly spread, there seems to not much velocity change in some of the instrumentation. This is listening on headphones, so the mix might be a lot clearer on speakers where there is mores space. This is just an opinion, I don't listen to hate.
Overall has a nice feel, spiritual, almost :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Thank you for taking the time to listen.
The distorted/saturated sound is part of the actual pad patch and is there to symbolise the light breaking through the dark, hence starting from one speaker and before the other pad sound drifts in on the other.
I invite you to 'voyage' over to https://adrianearnshaw.com, sign up for some fun e-mail 'blasts', and look forward to helping you launch your ears - and projects - into the stratosphere.

biodiode wrote:Thank you for taking the time to listen.
The distorted/saturated sound is part of the actual pad patch and is there to symbolise the light breaking through the dark, hence starting from one speaker and before the other pad sound drifts in on the other.
Okay, it just visually and aurally most have 2, so I wouldn't look through my right eye only at the rising sun, same for ears, does that make sense, sometimes I question my responses....
Just saying, happy playing :)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

short n sweet. moved along nicely. nice ambience and melody. enjoyed :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

My Feedback

Music - 8.5
Instruments - 8
Performance - 9
Mix - 8

Overall - 8.375

Comments: I can picture this as a movie soundtrack. Like the melody. Mysterious and dark. Mix could be a tad brighter but not much.

Thanks layzer

Thanks for the rating wagtunes, I like this new scoring system of yours.

Works very well throughout...

Lovely combination of timbres in there...much more difficult to get right than many realize!

Nice melodic touches and just enough textural variation.

Production-wise...is there a slight 'hole' in the centre? Had a couple of listens and the stereo seemed a little empty in the middle?

Might be my ears...I've been composing all morning and my lugs are seriously tired! :0)

Thanks ChamMusic, I shall take a look at the stereo spread. Although the Ozone widener shows an even spread of audio, always worth a second look. :tu:

Enjoy a lot this track.

:tu:

This track has the charm of background music for a computer game like Sim City (ok, slightly outfashioned). The medieval touch is nice, too. Quite relaxing overall. Good work!
Greetings
HM

biodiode wrote:Thanks ChamMusic, I shall take a look at the stereo spread. Although the Ozone widener shows an even spread of audio, always worth a second look. :tu:
Aargh - Ozone Widener, that's why I was a little 'iffy' about the stereo spread; I've stopped using Izotope stereo enhancing facilities over a whole mix...

Note: I've had another listen and it does sound good overall, but there are issues in there that I, personally, have to avoid with clients as everything still has to be MONO compatible!

Yes, I regularly check my mixes in mono before finalizing a track!:0)

Izotope and widening - They usually base what they do around the Haas Delay effect...

Often sounds very impressive, with an instant WOW when heard in stereo, but the parts on which they’re used will disappear or, at best, change dramatically in tone and level when mixed to mono, due to issues such as phase cancellation....just tried it on your track and that's exactly what happens!

Obviously that's not an issue here for you, but these might be...

If you use such wideners on EVERY element of a track (on the STEREO MASTER), you can get a few issues. At the top of the list:

1) Over widening with a slight empty feel in the centre
2) A slight blurring of overall detail

Such wideners are , maybe, best used on just a few elements via individual track outputs - rippling synths, backing vocals, maybe guitar doubling etc.

If you're planting a widener over the whole mix, it might be worth experimenting with a more LCR based piece of software.

After having been chastised some years ago by the mix engineer for UB40, LCR (LEFT CENTRE RIGHT) is the general approach I use for every mix now as it just makes far more sense.

NOTE: All the above waffle is purely my opinion, of course...feel free to ignore completely! :0)

Return to “Music Cafe”